The New Adventures of Monkey Man  "Banana Nut Dread"

The New Adventures of Monkey Man "Banana Nut Dread"

A Story by Jack...
"

I story written for the superheroes contest

"

 

 

 

 

 

The New Adventures of Monkeyman

 

"Banana Nut Dread"

 

The massive slab on which he was strapped was cold and damp. Metal bands about his wrists and ankles held him tightly in place. He could see by the yellow hour glass hanging on the wall he was running out of time. A large vat of unknown vial liquid suspended from the ceiling tilted towards dumping its volatile concoction a little more with each grain of sand that passed through the tiny opening. It seemed like the end of this super hero.

 

Several months before…

 

Dr. Bannion Bryce, while on an expedition in the deepest darkest jungles of Africa to test a bionic insect he had created, made a startling discovery. A family of chimps was found in a previously uncharted area of the jungle, the likes he had never before seen. These chimps seemed to possess super human strength. He watched them for several days as they moved large rock formations that he approximated the weight at several tons each, with only one hand. They could jump from one tree to another, even though they were located some 100 yards apart with little or no exertion of energy.

 

Using the bionic dragonfly he was testing, he sent the metallic insect in to study their habits. The dragonfly, whom he had given artificial intelligence to, found that the only food they partook of was a yellow and red berry that seemed to grow in abundance in this valley. Gathering some, Dr. Bryce carefully tasted one. Finding them to be delicious, he ate more and more of the strange fruit.

 

Little by little he noticed his strength increasing to the point that he now had to be cautious with anything he did. Even when putting on his boots in the morning he had to be careful as he ripped the entire sole off of one just by sliding his foot in it. Dr Bryce decided to test his new found strength and found that he too now could easily move a boulder like it was a feather. He could also jump like the monkeys could. His senses as well increased as he could hear even the minutest sounds from any distance and he could see for miles in greater detail than he had ever been able to see staring at something close. 

 

It was time to return to America as the expedition had come to an end.  Dr. Bryce packed up camp and secured a few of the miraculous bushes to replant back in his laboratory. Reaching for the dragonfly he incurred some resistance from the little bug.

 

"Hey, what are you doing?" questioned the insect?

 

"I am packing you away for the trip home," he answered.

 

"You're not packing me away boss, that is not how I do things now," said the dragonfly in an arrogant but polite tone.

 

"So them tell me little friend, how do you propose we do this?" he questioned.

 

"I'll fly myself home. I have GPS built in and I can fly there faster than you can. You see these wings, I'll be back at the lab before your plane has even left the ground," he said flapping his silver and green wings.

 

"I guess I shouldn't have used the bargain intelligence chip I did," said Bryce under his breath.

 

"What was that kemosabe?" asked the bug.

 

"Oh nothing…very well. Fly on and we will see if you make it or not." Before he could finish his sentence the dragonfly disappeared heading east. 

 

The flight home was long and Dr. Bryce had a lot of time to study his data and think. Then an idea came to him; he had been given a great gift and he should use it for the good of all mankind. It was at that moment he decided that he would use his new found strength to fight evil and he would be known as Monkeyman.

 

Several months later…

 

His arch enemy, Dr. Bananas had given him the slip time and time again. This time he was so close to capturing him, when he himself slipped on one of the villain's strategically placed peels.

 

Monkeyman could hear the creaking of the pulley holding the large cauldron as it came closer to spilling its liquid on him. He struggled and strained to free himself from his restraints, but it was to no avail as even his super strength could not budge them. He glanced at the timepiece again and saw that time was almost out when he heard a familiar voice in his invisible earpiece

 

“Monkeyman, come in Monkeyman.”

 

It was the other half of the crime fighting duo, The Dragonfly.

 

“Dragonfly, where are you?”

 

“Hanging out by the lake tormenting frogs, I’m on vacation, remember?” he answered 

 

“I didn’t forget but I desperately need you...Dr. Bananas"”

 

“Bananas?” he interrupted.

 

“He’s holding me in his evil lair disguised as a produce stand on East Chiquita Street.

 

“I’ll buzz right over. Hang in there boss.”

 

“Hurry my friend, I am running out of time.”

 

The sand continued to fall in the hour glass as Dr. Bananas stuck his head in the door.

 

“Well Monkeyman, I guess this is it. You won’t be picking bugs off of anyone and eating them ever again,” he sneered followed by a sinister laugh.

 

“Dr. Bananas, when I get out of here I swear I’ll slice you over a bowl of cereal.”

 

“Sounds good, except you won't be getting out of here,” he laughed again. "When my concoction spills on you, that will be the last I will ever see of you."

 

"And what is this concoction, if you don't mind me asking?" questioned the restrained hero.

 

"Not at all, it is an old family recipe…Banana pudding and HYDROCHLORIC ACID!" he laughed even louder after saying this. "Not only will it completely dissolve you when it hits, it will also taste good too,

 

"You're a nut, Bananas, insane, you need to be put away in a dark cool place where you can't harm anyone, anymore!" shouted Monkeyman.

 

“Well, whatever ap-peel-s to you but I gotta split. I’ll give your friends my con"dole- nces,” said Dr. Bananas as he headed for the door.

 

“Man, I wish I had some chocolate, vanilla and strawberry ice cream and a spoon right now,” said Monkeyman as his arch enemy slammed the door and locked it behind him.

 

With his super hearing he could still here his laughter beyond the thick concrete walls then he heard another sound he recognized, the flapping of metal wings. Dragonfly flew in through an air conditioning vent and hovered above our hero.

 

“Am I glad to see you? The sand in the hourglass is almost out, please hurry,” pleaded the hairy super hero.

 

"Hang tight King Kong, I have you out of here in a flash."

 

Saying that, The Dragonfly flew up to the cauldron suspended from the ceiling and using his titanium tail, scooped some of the acid from the vat. "Mmm, this is good."

 

"DRAGONFLY!" shouted Monkeyman

 

"Oh don't get your fur in a wad, I'm coming," he answered as he zoomed down to where Monkeyman was being held and spread the corrosive material on the bolts of the restraints. They dissolved and just as Monkeyman jumped down off of the table, the vat dumped its contents. The large table bubbled and fumed and then melted in a large gooey lump on the floor.

 

“Thanks a bunch," said an exasperated Monkeyman. "That was a close call.”

 

“No problem Cheetah, we’ll get Bananas the next time,” answered his sarcastic partner.

© 2013 Jack...


Author's Note

Jack...
Written for the super hero conest

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'm sure it deserves to win. It works as an actioni story as as humor too.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Jack...

10 Years Ago

Thanks Marie...we'll see. Some of these super hero people aren't that into humor.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

230 Views
1 Review
Added on May 2, 2013
Last Updated on May 2, 2013
Tags: monkey, banana, dragonfly

Author

Jack...
Jack...

San Antonio, TX



About
Not much to tell about me, I am just Jack, I am a poet, a writer, a musician, a painter, a builder and a dreamer. I live in south Texas but am originally from New Jersey and miss it more and more all .. more..

Writing