A Shared Victory

A Shared Victory

A Story by Christy Sargent
"

This is a short story about how a momentary chance encounter can change a person's outlook on life. Strangers pass in and out of our lives every single day. The special ones we will never forget.

"

 

 

A Shared Victory

 

 

My first full week on the new job. I am standing behind the counter looking down at my navy work polo and the embarassing name tag that reads, "IN TRAINING". It is the reason everyone smiles at me. Earlier, I was given the task of rearranging a shelf full of books. Of course they all came crashing down to the floor along with the plastic shelving and with a loud bang that caused everyone in the Visitor Center to look up, startled. When they looked over at me, crouching to pick up my mess, their smiles were sympathetic but not helpful. I was lost in humility. Now, looking down at my large "IN TRAINING" badge, I am wondering why I am here.

The door to the Visitor Center opens and a new group of anxious guests tumble in. Some are already smiling while others look curious. Others, still, look as confused as I know I am. The difference is that they want answers to their questions and are not ashamed. I, on the other hand, just wish I could take my badge that shouts out, "CONFUSED PERSON IN TRAINING," off the front of my  work polo. I want a badge that has my first name on it. The door opens again. In comes another rush of visitors. French? Italian? They could be from anywhere. The Grand Canyon has called them here today. A Park Service employee, standing at the side counter, is trying to explain to a group of Frenchmen how to get from point A to point Z. The French are saying, "Oui. Oui," but still look confused. The room is full. My co-worker, who wears a badge that has her first name on it, is busy ringing up sales at the register. I am thankful it is her and not me. I need to catch on to the register thing a lot more before I have to face the line of people with their bookmarks and magnets.

I look up from where I am standing behind the counter, having adjusted my badge. A small dark- haired woman is standing in front of me, smiling. My hand goes up to my badge to cover it. I feel sure that is why she is smiling.

"I am so, so happy to be here at the Grand Canyon," she says.

It is something I have heard repeated all week. "Oh, that is good," I say.

"This is my fifth time to return to the Grand Canyon", she says, "and I am so, so, so happy to be back". She says this while raising both clenched fists up above her head in a solid show of victory.

"Welcome home," I say to her. I am smiling. She is already making me feel good.

The little lady leans in across the counter and whispers to me, "I have breast cancer."

My smile is frozen. It feels stretched across my face and my lips twitch as I let out a discreet gasp. My hands instinctively cluch at my training badge. Now, I lean in and ask the woman,"'Are you okay?"

"Yes," she says. Her fists, still clenched, reach up again in victory. "Yes. I am okay because I am here at the Grand Canyon for the fifth time".

I reach across the counter and we take hold of each other's hands. Together we raise our hands as far as they will go toward the ceiling and shout out, "Yea. Yea."

My co-worker is looking at us with a strange look on her face. I don't care. Others are lookng as well. I don't care.

"Will you be alright," I ask the woman.

Still whispering, she tells me that her doctors wanted her to stay at home and begin treatments right away. She says that the Grand Canyon is her treatment and that her God in heaven will lead her through His treatment plan. Her husband is standing beside of her. He says he just wishes that God would give them the directions.

I walk them over to the register. My co-worker is wanting me to practice ringing them up, thinking that I know these people. My sale goes well and I am thankful for no mistakes at the register. I thank the couple and I ask the woman her name.

"My name is Olga," she says, looking pleased that I would ask.

I tell Olga that I will never forget her and that she will be in my prayers.

"May I come around your counter and hug you," Olga asks.

We hug right there at the register then together do the fists- up victory thing one last time as my co-worker and a few other visitors look on. Olga and her husband walk out of the door waving and I have forgotten all about my badge.

© 2011 Christy Sargent


Author's Note

Christy Sargent
I am still editing....as usual.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review




Reviews

This is a great story! You have a gigantic heart!

Posted 13 Years Ago


We all spend a great deal of our lives "in training" for one reason or another. Life doesn't come with instruction manuals on getting over crushes, dealing with emnity of friends, fighting with your lover, handling disappointment, or comforting someone who is scared. I would say that you understood the particular lesson you were challenged with just fine.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Wow! That is great! You are good, Sister! Since you are still editing, just a thought, ;) Drop the second "blue" and just say "polo.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Using first person adds tremendous power to this story! I really enjoyed it! Keep up the great work, Christie!

Posted 13 Years Ago


I've read this before but don't know where my review went. Anyway, it's a terrific story and it would sure be nice if more Olga's were in the world.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

great

Posted 13 Years Ago


Very touching story. If we take the focus off of ourselves we might just find out there are Olga's all around us.

Posted 13 Years Ago


A frame of reference is a wonderful thing. You have told us a wonderful story and as a bonus ... given us the gift of a frame of reference.

Beautiful.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

324 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 15, 2010
Last Updated on January 6, 2011

Author

Christy Sargent
Christy Sargent

Flagstaff, AZ



About
I live near the red rocks of Sedona, AZ in the Verde (green) Valley. For me, writing has become addictive. I write about my life and my encounters. I write poetry and stories dealing with good and ba.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Random thoughts Random thoughts

A Story by Doreen