Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by jaholland

Chapter 1 

Raven stared down at her sopping wet, worn out, duct taped shoe and sighed. This day just all around sucked. Yeah...I know...Grams hates that word, but, it is what it is. They were supposed to go to the second hand store to get her a pair of shoes, but Grams started to feel kind of poorly so they ended up here at Blackwood hospital. She sat in the hospital hallway swinging her leg, hoping the air would dry her shoe and sock some since she had the pleasure of landing her foot in the world's largest puddle once they stepped off the bus. The torrential rains had soaked them to the bone and she was starting to get a bit of a chill in the coolness of the hospital. It was pretty quiet here, except for the occasional beep from the machines or intercom page. Nurses quietly bustled by, occasional giving her a sideways glance. Nobody talked to her, but that wasn't necessarily a bad thing. She really wasn't fond of having conversations with people she knew, let alone strangers...but then again she hadn't seen Grams since this morning when the doctors rushed her away to help her, so it was kind of starting to make her belly hurt and her heart feel funny. What on earth could be taking so long?

Raven slid off her chair, tossing her dampened black hair out of her eyes and slowly made her way to the rain streaked window that overlooked the small town. Squiiiish-kerfloop...squiiiish-kerfloop....squiiiish-kerfloop went her shoe. Raven peered out the window squinting her eyes, trying to see through the raindrops. They were in downtown Blackwood...then again calling it "downtown" was pushing that word to the extreme. Blackwood's downtown would probably be another city's roundabout. Not much to it besides a barber, a comic book store, the lunch bucket cafe, some kind of farmer's market and Raven's favorite place, the second hand store "New to Ewe". Raven thought the name was hysterical since the owner, Mr Ewing, looked almost like an ewe himself. With that long face and a mop of curly hair....he was a nice enough man but he wasn't doing himself any favors with that name.

Hushed voices tickled Raven's ears and she turned to see where they were coming from. A robust pink cheeked lady in bright cheery nurse scrubs stood by the corner of the hallway and smiled sweetly at her.

"Raven?" Raven shook her head up and down.

"Hello sweetie, my name is Matilda. Would you come with me please?"

Raven started slowly, trying to muffle the sounds of her squishy, flopping shoe. SQUIIIIISH-KERFLOOP, SQUIIIIIISH-KERFLOOP" the slower she went the louder it became.  Raven followed the nice nurse and became a little happier. Grams must be feeling better. Wonder if she'll feel good enough to stop for shoes...and maybe some lunch.... as her belly gave a little growl.

As they turned the corner, Raven stopped abruptly. Grams wasn't there, only an older gentleman with a black suit and white collar. He smiled sadly at her and held out his hand.

"Come with me child" he said softly.

Raven wasn't sure what to do. Grams had always told her about strangers and not to go with them. The older gentleman could sense her apprehension and smiled at her and said

"It's ok. We're just going to go right here into the church sanctuary to have a small chat about your grandmother."

Finally, someone was going to let her know what was going on. Raven went with him reluctantly. He seemed nice enough, but she was still a little leery. She started forming a plan in her head like where she would kick him if he tried kidnapping her. She looked down at her floppy shoe...fat lot of good it would do kicking him with these. She sighed again.

The man opened the doors to what looked to be a small church. Sweet smelling fragrance wafted through the air as they passed by tall porcelain vases heaped with flowers which spilled over their sides. Their steps became silent as they padded across the thick carpet. Even her shoe seemed silent which was a miracle in itself. The clergyman lead her to another room which held a massive mahogany desk and two wingback velvet chairs set opposite the rich leather chair which stood behind the desk. Raven sank into the deep burgundy velvet and felt as small as a kitten. Even if she scooted to the edge her feet barely touched the floor. The older gentleman rounded the desk and sat down heavily. Making a steeple with his fingers, he tucked them under his chin and began to stare at Raven. She could hear the "tick...tick...tick..." of the clock and the quiet squeak of the man's chair as he slowly swiveled back and forth. All of this began to un-nerve Raven and she began to feel her insides shake. If this man didn't say something soon, he was going to find a wet, holy shoe upside his head. A nervous giggle almost escaped her lips as she thought of the funny she made with the word holy and the thought of her shoe flying through the air in a church.

"So..Raven is it? I'm Father O'Malley and I know things like this are never easy.....your grandmother...I'm sure she was a fine woman....but sadly she is no longer with us."

Raven blinked and stared at him. She could see his mouth moving but she just couldn't wrap her head around his words. What did he mean? No longer with us? Where would she go? His mouth kept moving but she couldn't hear him over the loud buzzing in her ears. She had to get out of here. Grams would be really upset with her if she missed the bus to go home. She stood up to leave but felt a meaty hand on her shoulder.

"Raven, do you have any family near by? Maybe an Aunt or an Uncle? Do you know where your parents are?"

Raven just blinked at him. This isn't real. It can't be. Quickly she ducked under the beefy paw and bolted for the door. She began charging first through the church then out the hospital doors. Hot tears blinded her world but she didn't care, all she could do was run. Didn't matter where, she just had to get away.

Raven barreled through downtown Blackwood. Past the comic book store then the barber. She didn't even give a thought when she blasted past "New to Ewe". Nothing mattered except for the buzzing in her head which would not stop. It seemed to keep pushing her to run further and further. Soon she found herself sprinting down an old gravel road hitting puddle and after puddle, no longer caring about her wet foot or the stones that had jumped inside the hole of her shoe and were now pinching her toes. At the end of the road stood a massive, ominous, castle like building surrounded by thick dense woods and a wrought iron gate. Raven didn't even think, after spotting a low hanging branch, she hoisted herself up into the tree and then over the fence. After jumping down she proceeded with a brisk jog into the dark forest. No matter how deep she went, it just wasn't deep enough. She never wanted to see anything or anyone again. She could feel her lungs burning and her body rebelling but nothing could compare to the ache that was in her heart.

Soon the thicket became so impenetrable she was forced to walk. While her lungs and body were grateful, the awful piercing between her ears was louder than ever. Raven had no idea which way was which. It was so dark it she could barely see anything right in front of her. Trying to jump over a fallen tree, Raven went sprawling after catching her shoe on a limb hearing a riiiiiiip. She knew her shoe was finally history. She couldn't take anymore. She was broken. Her body shook as thick hot tears gushed from her eyes. She hugged her body, trying to keep it from going in all directions. She felt at any moment she would just simply explode. Grams...how could you leave me? What am I going to do? Questions, one right after another crammed themselves into her brain. Raven covered her ears with her hands to stop the intrusions. She knew she couldn't take one more thing, no matter how small...then her world went a little fuzzy then black.

Sensations of floating enraptured Raven as she began seeing bits and pieces of her life. Wispy images gently stroked her mind...Grams smiling at her, getting her picture taken after winning the 2nd grade spelling bee, she and Grams picking apples from old man Winter's orchard...suddenly piercing blue eyes invaded those memories and the pleasantries disappeared like smoke. She could feel her heart beating faster as she tried to back away from the soul penetrating gaze. A trail of voices hummed in her ears and with that the blue eyes disappeared. Raven could hear the voices louder now and she tried to open her eyes but her lids felt so heavy. She wasn't sure if the voices were real, or if they were like the sapphire eyes and would just simply disappear. Suddenly she felt light as a feather and could feel herself being carried by firm strong arms. A whisper played at the edge of her ear, telling her she was safe and with that, Raven drifted off back into her abyss of dreams.

Raven's eyes fluttered open as her heart pounded almost out of her chest. I was having a nightmare she thought...but what was it about? Grams! It was all just a dream! A wave of relief began to wash over Raven and as she went to place her hand on her head she felt the tug on her arm making it difficult to raise it. Raven looked down to see the tubes running along her arm and the small bulge in her skin where the tube entered. Her surroundings acutely came into focus. The hospital. Again. Raven could feel the panic in her chest return. Her attention was turned toward the door when she heard it close. Father O'Malley. Again. Full blown panic now as she felt the burning sensation creep across her chest and then to her cheeks. Wild-eyed she looked for a way to get away from this man but the tube in her arm held her in place, not to mention the police officer he had in tow. Father O'Malley, sensing her terror backed off and slid into a chair opposite her bed. 

"Raven" he spoke softly, "you gave us quite a scare. We were lucky someone from the orphanage saw you run into the woods. Officer Jake here is the one that found you"

Raven peered at the officer and looked into his eyes, hoping he would have the blue ones that had haunted her dream. Nope, brown. They were kind eyes, but definitely not the ones that had shook her to her core. Father O'Malley continued

"Raven, how old are you?"

Raven whispered "12, almost 13" the old man smiled warmly

"Ahhh. A very good age. But you know, even being an almost teenager, it's not possible to live on your own. Is there perhaps anyone in your family we can call to tell them of your predicament?"

Raven shook her head. It had only been she and Grams for quite some time. As long as she could remember, really. Grams had said that her parents had been in an accident but their bodies were never found, so they never really knew for sure. She always told people that her parents had "mysteriously disappeared" she just thought it sounded a lot better than they were dead but the bodies never found. 

"Well Raven, I have places to be, people to see so we'll let you get some rest. I'll try to stop later this evening. Is there anything I can bring you? Magazines? Books?"

Raven looked at her toes stretched out in front of her and whispered "shoes" The portly man guffawed loudly and shook his head and said

"You really are a character Raven!" and disappeared out the door. Raven slumped back against her pillows. Wasn't really a joke, she thought.

Shortly after having her hospital lunch Raven drifted off into a fitful sleep. She dreamt of walking down dark dreary hallways where shadows lurked around every corner making her afraid to go any further. Then much to her surprise the blue eye returned. They seem to beckon her, pleading with her to walk further. Raven was petrified, she didn't know those eyes, how could she know if they were friend or foe? Her heart pounded as she took at step, then another step...the eyes....the eyes....they seem so close now. Maybe if she just held out her hand she could touch the face belonging to the penetrating eyes. Raven slowly lifted her hand and reached out..and woke with a start. Still laying in her hospital bed her heart hammered against her chest. She could feels beads of sweat on her brow. What in the devil!?! She thought. Why do I keep seeing those eyes? So many questions plagued Raven, but her thoughts were interrupted with the squeak of the door opening. Raven expected either a nurse or the old priest again, but it was neither.

In the doorway stood a slender woman. She was older, but not as old as her Grams had been. Her grayish hair was pulled tight into a bun perched on the top of her head . She had a rather pointy face and her lips seemed to draw into a pucker. Either this lady was constantly mad, or she didn't like Raven and that couldn't be because Raven had never met her. She looked into her eyes...just incase, but no. This lady's eyes were dark. Almost black. Probably matched her personality. Raven hid a smile at the thought.

"Hello. Raven? I'm Ms. Grumpky" Raven bit her tongue to stifle a laugh "I'm from the State of Children Affairs. It has been brought to our attention that you are now an orphan and that you will need placement."

Raven's eye began to water at the word orphan. Her pain was still so raw from losing her Grams. The woman continued with a voice like nails on a chalkboard

"it will difficult to place you because of your age. Not impossible, but definitely difficult, therefore you must stay at Blackwood orphanage until a suitable home can be found for you."

Raven just stared at the spinster with her mouth agape. How could her life be turned this upside down in less than 24 hours? Raven felt the tears threaten to spill over her eyelids again and quickly peered down to her small hands resting on her blanket.

"Hmp" said the old witch "Anyway. The doctor said you will well enough to leave this evening. Please have yourself presentable to meet the Blackwood orphanage Mistress" and with a click of her pointy shoes, that matched her pointy face, she was gone.

Soon after a nurse came and removed all the dreaded tubes that were poking her and she was allowed to shower and brush her teeth. After her shower, Raven found a small closet which held her belongings. There sat clean and folded her clothes. Raven slid on her favorite jeans. They were a little frayed at the bottom and the material was beginning to thin from being worn so many times but she didn't care, they had become sort of a security blanket to her. She then slipped on her "mud monkey" t-shirt which had a cute little monkey on the front covered in mud. Grams had bought this for her during one of their many garage sale adventures. She said it fit her perfectly since Raven loved mud just as much as any pig. Raven's eyes misted over with the memory. Retrieving off the hanger was her olive green soldier jacket. It too was beginning to fray on the cuffs, but she didn't care. She loved this almost as much as her jeans. Raven looked for her shoes...erm, shoe but none were there. Ok...she thought. I can go with one shoe, but with no shoes? I don't think so. She started feeling around the bottom of the cabinet, but there again was nothing. Raven was perplexed. Maybe they were under her bed. Peaking under her hospital bed, again nothing. Standing up Raven bumped the side table and heard a thud. Turning around, at her feet sat a hiking shoe, and not just any hiking shoe, but Southpaw hiking shoe! Those are to die for! Spying the other shoe on her bedside table, Raven in complete awe slipped on the shoes feeling her feet sink into the blissfully cushioned soles. Raven sighed. This must be what heaven feels like. She was going to have to remember to thank that old man.

Heading back into the bathroom to give her teeth a good scrubbing, Raven looked deep into the mirror. Her hair was getting really long again. Grams always said that her parents had named her Raven because she was born with the longest, blackest hair anyone had ever seen. She ran her fingers through the thick onyx mane to try and restore a little order. She looked closer as her tiger green eyes stared back at her. Kids at school sometimes made fun of her because of her eyes. Some said they were spooky or scary. She never understood why someone would think her eyes were scary...then the thought of the blue eyes drifted back into her mind. She now understood. Raven could hear her door to her room softly open and close. Poking her head out to let whoever know she would be out in a minute she was greeted by the familiar face of the priest.

Ever so cheery he smiled broadly at her as she finished wiping the toothpaste from her mouth

'Hello Raven, I hear you're being sprung tonight, no more hospital food for you" he grinned.

Raven shook her head and fiddled with the strings on the cuff of her jacket. He was nice, but she still wasn't that comfortable chatting with him.

"Well...I just wanted to wish you luck and to let you know if you ever need to talk, you know where to find me."

Raven nodded and the gray haired man began to back away. As he was ready to walk through the door, Raven remembered.

"Father O'Malley?" he stopped and turned

"Yes dear?"

"Thanks for the um..shoes."

The old man looked puzzled.

"Shoes?"

Raven held out the toe of her boot and turned it for his view. He looked even more puzzled.

"I'm sorry dear, I would take credit for those, but alas it was not me. Perhaps the police officer that found you?" The priest clicked his tongue as he thought "yes...that must have been it. No matter, those are are very smart looking, good for you, young lady" he beamed.

Raven backed away as the old man left the room. She knew it wasn't the police officer. She had overheard a nurse talking about him and his wife and how she went into labor but she was having it at a different hospital. There was no way he could have gotten back to Blackwood to give her new shoes. Raven sat on the edge of the bed and thought...and for no reason, the blue eyes thrust themselves into her attention.

©jaholland 2015



© 2015 jaholland


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great opening chapter, so much detail in the characters and environment, this seems like something I will continue to read to the end.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

jaholland

8 Years Ago

Thank you!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

243 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on July 13, 2015
Last Updated on July 17, 2015


Author

jaholland
jaholland

Cleveland, OH



About
I have pages and pages of things I used to write...loved it more than anything. Then life happened and I went away from it. I've recently started again and have been having fun with it. I don't kno.. more..

Writing
Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by jaholland


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by jaholland