Margo McGee and the witch's manor

Margo McGee and the witch's manor

A Story by jaholland
"

Being the new girl at school isn't much fun especially when you move into a house where witch used to live, but if they're going to tease her about living there, might as well have some fun with it...

"
Pushing her nose against the cool glass of her front window while squinting to see through the thick fog that had wrapped itself around the naked trees,  Margo sighed while her belly did a little flip flop.  The longer the school bus took, the more her stomach revolted.  She had been dreading this day ever since she found out they were moving to this tiny town.  School had started here over a month ago, so not only would she be lost in what they were doing,  she wouldn't know a single soul in her class.   When her dad had received word that his great Aunt Hildy had passed away and he had inherited the house, she had hoped they would move here quickly so she could get to know one or two people so the first day wouldn't be a complete disaster.   But alas, as with many things that happen in Margo's life, they never seem to go as she hoped or planned.
They had arrived only two days ago and she was lucky she could find anything to wear.  As luck, or her usual bad luck would have it, the second moving truck that held most of her clothing and bedroom furniture had broken down and was still stuck somewhere in Ohio.  She was lucky enough to be wearing her favorite jeans on moving day, but to start the 6th grade in a "My little pony" t-shirt was unheard of.  She had begged her older sister Meghan, who was just starting high school to borrow something, but as usual that ended in a fight.
"C'mon Meg, pleeeeease let me borrow a shirt!  It's the first day of school and I'm going to look like a total dork wearing this!  I swear, if I get anything on it...I'll do the dishes for a month!"
"Not on your life loser.  Last time I let you borrow something, you got grape juice all over it, which doesn't come out, and not only that, you ripped a hole in the armpit.  Who does that?!?!  Absolutely not!"
"Meg pleeeeeeease!!"
"NO!!!"
which as usual ended with a resounding
"MOM!!!"
Mom had stayed neutral as usual and had thought she solved the problem by hand washing her clothes to make sure they were clean for her first day....was totally not the point but Margo was used to being disappointed.
Margo watched as the wind began whipping through the trees as she pulled the black poncho she had found tighter around her shoulders.  It had been hanging in the closet in her room and by the looks of it, it was probably as old as the house.  She admitted it was pretty brutal but it was good at covering the little pony and maybe it would add a bit of mystery to who she was once she got to school.  Margo's belly gave another flop as the sound of a groaning engine and crunching tires came closer followed by bright headlights and a big yellow bus that pulled up in front of her house.  Margo sighed again, this time feeling a little shaky.  With the horn sounding outside, she knew it was time to go and reluctantly slid herself out the front door pulling her hood over her head. 
She could feel the poncho whipping behind her as she held the hood in place, trudging in the now sleeting rain towards the big yellow bus.  The closer she got the more she could see multiple sets of wide eyes staring at her.  Climbing the stairs  she was met with complete silence as an entire bus full of eyes stared at her.   Some even had their mouths agape!  Sheesh!  Margo quickly slid into an empty seat and stared straight ahead.  She was used to being known as a little bit odd, but they way these kids looked at her was completely unnerving!   Feeling the bus groan and lurch forward, Margo stared out the window watching the rain pelt the glass.  She knew in her heart, this day would not end well.
Margo bounced along with the bus as it stopped several more times to pick up different kids.  She was hoping the bus would get full and someone would be forced to sit with her and she would get to know them, but that of course didn't happen.  Kids were sitting 3 or 4 to a seat in order to NOT sit with her.  She could hear the whispers and feeling the finger pointing but she wasn't sure why.  Sure she was new, and maybe a little odd looking with her long, raven black hair and sky blue eyes.  She was on the "you're too skinny" side and her pale skin looked like it hadn't seen the sun in over a year...but she didn't have a hump on her back or a third eye...so what was with all the drama?  Margo hugged her notebook and lunch bag to her chest, deciding she didn't care what they were saying or thinking.  She didn't need any new friends anyway.  Fighting the tears that threaten to spill over, she watched as the bus pulled up and parked in front of her new school.  Flying out of her seat, waiting at the top of the steps, Margo refused to stay sitting, letting them all get another look while leaving the bus.  Whatever the school had in store for her, had to be better than this!
After what seemed hours of roaming the crowded halls of screaming kids, Margo was finally able to find the school office and get her class schedule and first class room number.  Of course by the time that happened, the first morning bell had rang, so she would be the last one there.  Great.  Following the secretary's direction,  Margo arrived at the door of her first classroom.  Resisting the urge to run, vomit or cry she rapped softly on the wooden door and then was greeted with soft, kind, brown eyes.
"May I help you?"
"Um..yeah.  I'm Margo.  I think I'm supposed to be in this class"
"Ah, yes.  The mysterious Margo!  You've created quite a stir in the school already young lady.  Come in, come in and let's get you situated."
Margo could feel a bit of pressure leave her shoulders as the kind teacher helped her make her way into the classroom.  Finally, someone was being nice to her.  Margo peered around to once again a room full of wide eyes.  Sigh.
"Class, this is Margo.  She is a new here and I know all of you will be on your best behavior and will go out of your way to be kind and to help her find her way.  Now Margo, I'm Miss Bishop.  I will be your English teacher.  Why don't you tell the class a little bit about yourself."
Margo's knees began to shake and her mouth went dry as she stared around the room.
"It's ok dear, just tell us where you're from and what brought you to our small town."
"Um, well....m-my name is Margo.....I'm from Buffalo New York, but we moved here because my dad's great aunt passed away and left him her house.  My parents thought it would be good for us to grow up in a place like this..or something like that."
Margo heard a wave of giggles ripple through the class and her spirits lifted a little. Maybe this wouldn't be so bad after all.
"Is it true you live in Hexing Hilda's old house?" asked a blonde headed boy.
Margo looked at him then at her teacher, completely confused.  Hexing Hilda?
"Um...my dad's great aunt was called "Aunt Hildy" but I don't know anything besides that..."
A gasp rippled through the classroom.  Well that was short-lived.
"Are you a witch?"
Now it was her turn to stare at the class with her mouth open.  Murmurs began circling through the class getting louder and louder until finally Miss Bishop stepped in.
"OK, that's enough class.  Thank you for that Margo.  There's a seat in the third row in second to last seat that should do well for you.  Please leave your cloak in the cupboard in the back of the class room."
Ugh.  She did NOT want to take her poncho off, but the teacher had asked her to. Should she make up some sort of excuse to keep it on?  She was good at that....making stuff up.  But the way Miss Bishop had looked at her and had been so nice, she felt guilty for even thinking of it.  Fine.  Margo walked slowly to the cupboard and slipped her damp poncho off hanging it on a hook.  Crossing her arms in front of her chest, she prayed nobody would see her shirt.  Hearing snickers as she walked to her seat...she realized that was too much to hope for.
Miss Bishop began the class and everyone fell silent listening to her lesson.  Margo was pleased that they were about the same place she was at her old school.  Not that she liked conjugated verbs, it was just nice to feel like she hadn't missed a lot.  Same went for her other morning classes and Margo began to feel like she was in a bit of a routine which was welcomed.  Soon the lunch hour came and the dreaded knot began to form in her stomach.  Nobody had approached her or had been overly friendly with her.  Where would she sit for lunch?  Would she make a mistake and sit at a table where she's not wanted?  Maybe she would take her lunch to the bathroom and just eat in there....Margo stared around the cafeteria, holding her lunch bag, trying to figure out what to do.
"Hey"
Margo's head whipped around finding a table with a few students from her English class sitting at it.
"You can sit here if you like....but only if you promise not to hex us..."   ... laughter.
"Shut up Logan!  Hi, I'm Issy.  Ismerelda but everyone calls me Issy" smiled a blonde girl stretching out her hand.
"Hi, I'm Amy!" said a chubby little red headed girl.
Margo's heart felt as if it had wings.  Finally, someone liked her!  She suddenly felt awkward and shy and all she could muster was a...
"Hi"
Taking a seat next to Issy, the table went back to it's previous conversation.
"I'm telling you.  If we could find a place to use the Ouija board on Halloween, we could conjure any spirit that lives in that house!"
"Tommy, you're so full of baloney.  That's just a kids toy.  Nothing happens with that, it's all fake" accused Logan.
"No!  I'm telling you it's real!  Hey, new girl.  Do you really live in Hexing Hilda's house?"
Margo could feel her face warm with a slight blush at the attention.  But she was bound and determined to be interesting and not lose her new found friends.
"Yes, she was my great, great Aunt"
Silence, then a whistling of air with gasps passed through the table.
"Wow...so like is the place haunted?  Is her spirit still there?"
Margo thought a moment...should she?....
"Yeah, I think so.  I mean we've only been there two days but I've heard things, and I saw the shape of a lady at the top of the stairs and it freaked me out because I was supposedly the only one in there."
Stunned silence surrounded her...She suddenly felt giddy with all of the attention heaped upon her.
"I also found this old cape in my closet, and I don't know...like a voice or something told me to put it on, so I did..."
She wasn't sure how far to push the story before they started calling her on it...so she let what she told them sink in...
"Hmm...that explains the cloak-poncho thing.  Everyone was freaking out about seeing you walk out of the house with it.  Everyone said it was Hexing Hilda taking over a young girl's body and coming back for revenge."
Margo was a little confused but it explained why everyone on the bus was freaking out...
"Revenge for what?"
Logan went on.  "Well....every Halloween, kids around here took great pleasure in egging her house, soaping her windows, all kinds of pranks like that.  She was a mean old lady and never gave out candy or anything, until one year, someone dared little Mikey Tucker to ring her doorbell.  After some serious teasing and pushing, he finally gave in and agreed to do it.  He walked up to the door to ring the bell, but before he could ring it, Hexing Hilda opened the door and he fainted right then and there. Everyone took off running and left Mikey there.  Poor guy was never seen or heard from again....."
Silence again wrapped itself around the table.  Margo couldn't resist.
"You know...now that I think about it.  I think I've also seen the spirit of a little boy roaming around as well...."
Margo felt a warm satisfaction as wide eyes stared at her.
"So it's settled then" said a gleeful Tommy
"Your house on Halloween.  I'll bring the Ouija board and we'll contact Hexing Hilda and little Mikey Tucker."
Everyone seemed so excited, who was Margo to tell them no?  Mom and dad should be ok with it, they'll be happy she made some new friends and Meghan will probably be out with her own friends.  Yes...this should work....can't say any spirits will show up, but at least she'll have friends and they'll have fun!
For the next few days Margo was on cloud nine.  Her clothes and furniture had finally arrived so she was able to get her life a little more in order,  her friends seemed to really like her...or at least her house...and wanted to know everything about it.  It was fun to be the center of attention!  Not wanting to lose that, Margo's stories became more and more elaborate.  She talked of how her great Aunt Hildy would come to her at night, whispering spells and chants.  How she could hear little Mikey Tucker run, play and laugh up and down the halls. She even added a few more ghostly spirits just to make sure she kept it interesting.  By the time Halloween rolled around it was hard for Margo to remember how many ghosts she had told them about.
Halloween morning Margo sat at the breakfast table, munching on her favorite cereal while her mom stood at the sink washing dishes.
"Um, mom...."
"Hmmmm?"
"Is it ok if I have a couple of friends over tonight?  We're just going to hang out, tell some ghost stories and you know, Halloween stuff..."
Margo had been having second thoughts about having everyone over.  When the ghosts didn't show up she knew everyone would know she was a fake and not want to be her friend anymore.  It was so much fun telling them about it and admittedly her imagination had gotten the better of her.  But now it was time to pay the piper and she wasn't sure what to do.  She figured if she sprung this on her mom last minute, she'd say no. She would no longer have to worry about proving her house was haunted.
"Oh!  Well....I don't see why not...I mean your father and I will be at the neighbors for a Halloween get together, but if you need us we'll be close.  I'll pick up some snacks from the grocery for you guys.  How fun!  I'm so glad you made some new friends honey!"
Great.
"Yeah...OK, thanks mom."
At school all of her new friends were in a tizzy about the evenings events.  They weren't even bothered by the fact that they wouldn't be trick or treating.  Who needs candy when you're contacting ghosts?  Margo's tummy began to do its famous flip flops the closer the end of school came.  She had tried to think of a way out of it, but considering how excited everyone was...she just didn't have the heart to disappoint them.
On the bus ride home, Margo had an idea...That's it!  When no ghosts show up, I'll just tell them that maybe because it's Halloween or all hallows eve, they're roaming the streets, looking for new victims.  Halloween was the only time they could leave the house.  Miss Bishop and told a similar story in English class which where the idea had come from, so in a sense it made it more believable.  It had to work, it just had to!
That evening, after putting out bowls of pretzels, potato chips, juice pouches and cupcakes, Margo gave a small jump when the doorbell sounded, announcing her friends were there.  Opening the door, she was a bit amused to find them all standing on the porch, wide-eyed, looking as scared as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs.
"Hey guys, c'mon in..."
Her friends entered the house, still grouped together, looking at the front room top to bottom.
"Have a seat...chips?  Pretzels?"
Margo had to suppress a giggle watching her friends afraid of their own shadows.  This could work even better!  Maybe they would be too scared to try and do this spirit thing and instead would just hang out, munch and maybe watch a movie or something.
"So...where should I set this up?"  asked Tommy.
Dang it.
"Well...how about the dining room?  We can put it on the table and there's enough  seats for everyone."  
They all nodded...obviously scared, but not scared enough not to do it.
Margo showed them to the dining room with her heart beating like thunder.  How was she going to wiggle her way out of this one?
"Have any candles?" asked Logan.
"Sure..."  Margo got her mom's long tapered candles out of the drawer, placing them in the holders on the table.
"Hey, is anyone home?  Like your parents going to bust in and interrupt us or anything?" questioned Issy.
"Nah, my parents are at a party next door and I think my sister is out with her friends.  It's just us...."
The group nodded again in unison.
"OK then, let's get this party started...."
Lighting the candles, Margo then took a seat with the rest of her friends.  Tommy had put some sort of game board on the table with numbers and letters on it, and in the middle it had some sort of plastic thing.
"OK everyone, since there's 5 of us, everyone just put one hand on this" said Tommy pointing to the plastic thing.
Everyone did as he said and Morgan watched as the piece began moving in a circle.  She wasn't sure if she was doing it or if everyone else was.  Tommy, becoming very serious, started....
"Oh spirit of Hexing Hilda....we request your presence. We command you answer us by showing yourself or talking to us through this board...."
Margo watched as the plastic thing continued to make circles.
"Are you here with us Hilda?"
Margo watched in amazement as the plastic thingy slid to the word...
"Yes...."
Seriously??  Margo stole a glance at Amy and Issy and they too looked every bit as shocked as she felt.
"Oh Hexing Hilda...is little Mikey Tucker with you?"
Again the plastic thing slid to 
"Yes...."
Margo's heart was beating in her throat.  How was this happening?
Just then running footsteps sounded above their heads, like a little kid running down the hall.  Everyone gasped and let go of the plastic thing which in turned stopped moving.
"Oh my goodness Margo...you weren't k-kidding" cried Issy.  "I mean, I would have liked you anyway but to be honest I thought all this stuff was made up!"
Margo was stunned.  She HAD made it up.  What was going on??
Just then a cool breeze whipped through the dining room blowing the candles out, turning the whole room black.  While in the darkness they heard a faint witches cackle.  Screams erupted from Issy and Amy and the boys, well...they all about trampled each other trying to get out of the room.
Finally back in the front parlor room, Margo stood facing her petrified friends, not sure what to do or what to make of all of this until all of them burst into a fit of laughter.
"Oh wow Margo, that was crazy!  Don't take this the wrong way but I think the next get together should be at my house.  This was kind of fun but I don't think my heart can take anymore.  I like you...but your house?  Not so much"  Issy said giving Margo a sheepish grin.
Margo smiled and nodded, not sure if she should be happy with her luck that some ghost did appear and was able to scare her friends.  
"Alright, well we gotta be getting home.  How about next weekend we try the movies?" Grinned Logan.
"SEE!  I TOLD you guys it would work!" said Tommy appearing with his game back in the box under his arm. "Never doubt the Tomm-o!"
Which made them all laugh again.  Margo bid her friends a happy farewell and as the door shut, she turned staring into the dining room.  How could all of that happened?  Margo walked slowly back into the dining room when suddenly footsteps running down the hall sounded again with a witches laughter.  Margo's heart lurched up into her throat as she could hear the steps coming ever so slowly down the stairs....not sure where to run or what to do, she started to crawl under the table until she was grabbed by the back of the shirt.  Margo let out a terrified scream, swinging as hard as she could at her assailant.
"Hey!  What's the big idea worm?!!  Hit me and you're really in for it!"
Meghan!!
"Meghan...you scared me to death!  What's the big idea?  Was that you upstairs when we were playing with that Ouija board thing?"
Meghan began laughing...

"Yeah, I thought I'd give you kids a good scare.  Mom said you were having friends over to do Halloween stuff and I thought it would be fun to torture you a little just like you love to torture me with my friends.  I heard the rumors about witch Hilda too and figured that's who you guys were trying to conjure...muahaha"
At first Margo was furious, but the more she thought about it, the more she loved it.  
Sometimes she really hates having a sister....but on nights like tonight.....
It's AWESOME.
The End!

© 2015 jaholland


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

71 Views
Added on October 26, 2015
Last Updated on October 27, 2015

Author

jaholland
jaholland

Cleveland, OH



About
I have pages and pages of things I used to write...loved it more than anything. Then life happened and I went away from it. I've recently started again and have been having fun with it. I don't kno.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by jaholland


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by jaholland


Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by jaholland