Under the Weather

Under the Weather

A Story by jaime
"

more like poetry in prose...and must read between the lines on this one

"

They had both been a bit under the weather all season and they knew they needed to get out. So they covered their cold feet with socks and really layered up before they left the house. Then they drove through a thick fog for a while and hoped they could warm up over coffee--like they did this time last year.  

Each knew the sort of place the other wanted to go and they found that familiar spot they always went back to. She noticed a new place had moved in next door and wondered what was inside. He only saw that old familiar place. He was unaware he had parked between her choices--he only wanted to get her close to the door.  She stepped out to the right but wanted to go to her left. He stepped out to the left and went straight to the right, and waited for her to follow.  And she did, as always.

The place was quiet inside and so was she. The smell of freshly brewed coffee and the occassional sounds of pots and pans clanking through the kitchen was the only thing that stirred the air.  He chose the best lit table for conversation. She chose the chair across from him facing the door.  He took his coat off and asked her if she was going to stay bundled up. She said, "I am still cold. I just can't shake it.", and she hoped she would over coffee.  He hoped the atmosphere would help.

The coffee arrived just before the conversation. He took his first sip and said,  "Good coffee." She had already finished half her cup and nodded, "As always."  He looked up at her and smiled,  "Well, we have almost made it through the season. Things will be better in the Spring." She looked up at him and laughed and looked toward the door.

"Yes, as always. I know.", she held up her cup for more.

"You'll see. Next season is our season.", and he followed her eyes to her empty coffee cup.

"Well, that's good. Because I stayed cold all winter.  Except for a couple unseasonably warm nights.", she wondered if it was warmer next door.

"I know, I know, it's been rough. But just one more season and then it's summer." He waited while her cup was filled. "By then things will be in full bloom."

She swirled the cloud around in her cup and waited for it to stop twisting, "Yes, but don't you remember all the cold showers we got last summer. Really dampened my mood." She laughed so hard at herself that she felt warm tears swell up in her eyes. She wiped them away with her napkin and hid her face in her cup, softly bit the rim with her teeth, and laughed through them.  "You have always been about the Spring. I prefer the Fall."

"True. But the Spring is so beautiful. Like you." He catches a chill, and slides back into his coat. "And this one is going to be a season of all seasons. Just you wait and see."

She nods and looks toward the door, "Remember last Fall? The colors were weak and faded quickly. We looked forward to winter." She looked at him across the table. He seemed so far away. "Which brings us to where we are now."

"Yes, the end of a season." He reminded her.

"A new beginning." She wondered aloud.

"At an old familiar place." He took her left hand in his.
"That you chose. And I followed."  She emptied her cup, and put it down on the table. His cup was still as full as always.

© 2008 jaime


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very "between the lines" indeed.

I don't even know how to review this, and I am sorry, but that was a very, very powerful ending and I really hope you know that there is some serious craft right there.

It's almost like you brought me into a warm cabin with hot chocolate and fresh brownies, then ripped my tongue out after my first bite.

Amazing.

Posted 15 Years Ago


This is a sad, sad story!! But things are better now, eh?

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

177 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 9, 2008

Author

jaime
jaime

Writing
Weir Rd. Weir Rd.

A Book by jaime


(s)Leesville Ln. (s)Leesville Ln.

A Chapter by jaime


morning fog morning fog

A Poem by jaime