Draupadi-sed Life?

Draupadi-sed Life?

A Story by janemaria
"

Complex on the Complexion

"
The last thing she loved was her name 'Draupadi'. She told her friends that her nickname was 'Durva' and coerced them to call her that. In her home, she was still called 'Draupadi' and was teased Krishna. 
She often recalled how her grandmother used to built up her morale by praising Draupadi to be the one powerful heroine of Mahabharata. Yet, she was dark. Dark like her. That dusty tinge of Indian brown colour was her tone. No matter what lightening tone she used, she couldn't get rid of that colour. The umbrellas she used when she was compelled to go outdoors at noon didn't do much wonders either. In the end, no matter what her grandmother said, the fact that she was named Draupadi for the brown colour she had - unlike her fair parents - also couldn't change. She owned a life where 'Fair and Lovely' had become more of a habit than a makeup. 
That day, 6th December, 2015, was supposed to be an ordinary day. She went to college hiding her face behind the umbrella. Near the gate of the campus, her friend, Subhadra was excitedly talking to a man. He looked like a college student, charming personality and above all, he had an extremely clear and fair skin tone. It was impossible to not look at that perfection. Subhadra introduced him. She was rejoicing within her that Subhadra was a friend to such a handsome personality. It brought her the opportunity to become close to him. 
Unlike the usual Draupadi who put a one metre distance and hell lot of indifference to male attention, this time, Draupadi actually initiated a conversation. He replied mellifluously. Politely. He had come to Hyderabad for a competition. So, he decided to catch up with his old friend 'Subhadra.' It might have been just a 10 minutes chit-chatter but Draupadi could remember every single detail he asked. Every single detail she said. She was even more excited at the similarity with her name. She was also teased as 'Krishna' and he had the same 'Krishna' in his name. 
When he left, she prayed that Subhadra would get her one more chance to meet with this person again. Subhadra said nothing the whole day. Nothing about meeting with him. Draupadi, clearly inexperienced in the romantic flirting sector, couldn't come up with an excuse to meet him either. 
In the evening, after she returned to home, Subhadra called her, "Durva, can you come with me? I promised Arjun that I would come with him for the breakup party that is scheduled for the evening. Dad wouldn't allow me to roam with a boy, right? So, come with me na? We will have fun anyways. Come on! you know Arjun."
Subhadra was caught off guard when an 'Okay' slipped out of Draupadi's tongue immediately. "You are 'Okay'? Like, Seriously? No terms and conditions? Wowow! Thanks."
Immediately, she reminded, "Oh! Please wear something sexy. Its a party lol. Your normal jeans wouldn't suffice." 
The latter part put her down. Boys like women sexy and Draupadi was hardly anywhere near sexy. She was beautiful in her dark tone and conventional wear. Not sexy like how the young guys and the youth magazines described. The only thing she could come up with was a capri. Capri was the only most skin revealing dress in her wardrobe. 
Draupadi sat in the chair of her room. She buried her head on the bed. It felt suffocating. How hard it is to like a person and make them like back? She regretted her wardrobe, her family, her skin and everything right at that moment. But, Arjun was really nice. She had to look good for him. What if he liked her back? She could imagine walking beside him in the evening and having his palm on hers, twisted. It would be the most beautiful sunset she could think of.
She grabbed hold of the skinniest jeans and a sleeveless T-shirt. She shunned the thought of borrowing a dress from Subhadra. Afterall, Arjun should also know the real Draupadi before liking her.
Draupadi was the most heavily dressed in that party. Drinks were served, weed was smoked up and making out was happening all around. Draupadi, nevertheless, was distracted by Arjun who sat just an arm's distance from her, just beside Subhadra. They were drinking and having fun. Yet, Arjun always ensured that he gave equal attention to Draupadi. It went on for an hour or two. In between, Draupadi didn't know what happened. She saw Arjun and Subhadra lip-locking. Right in front of her. 
It felt like somebody just showed her place. It felt like what the entire Universe had been telling her since her birth was true.
Draupadi closed her eyes and walked out of that party that day. Arjun was just a one day crush of hers. It was still the first man she liked. He taught her what she dreaded her whole life. He taught her that the skinny jeans-ed, sleeveless top-ed, dark toned, geek girl was hardly 'The Attractive Element' ever. 
After that day, Draupadi accepted herself. Her dark skin with the intelligent brain. She didn't look back at the men for self-confidence. Unlike Panchali, she didn't want to get married, either. She focused on her career and scored high.

Subhadra never knew was how much Draupadi cried on every single lonely day, ever since.

© 2017 janemaria


Author's Note

janemaria
Hey... Please give feed back on my story...thanks

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

81 Views
Added on December 6, 2017
Last Updated on December 6, 2017
Tags: fiction