What Was That?

What Was That?

A Story by dugle
"

A young man wakes up early.

"

What Was That?


It was still dark when I woke up. This was nothing special, of course, given that it was a weekday. Blinking a few times to knock the sleep from my eyes, I rolled onto my right side and looked at the trusty digital clock on the end table. The numbers 3:43 gleamed with an emerald hue as I

Wait, what?


I blinked once, then again. 3:43? Are you f*****g kidding me? ‘Three hours too early,’ I groaned, returning to my left side. Clamping my eyes shut, I cleared my mind, adjusted my pillow, and prepared anew for the long trek to dreamland.















S**t. I pulled the covers tighter around me, trying to stay clear-to stop thinking, but it was too late. Someone had already flicked the 'on' switch. Great. What had gone wrong? Exercised when I came home? Check. No caffeine after dinner? Yup. Took a piss before bed? You bet-


My train of thought screeched to a halt. Did I hear something? Didn't move the covers, so maybe... Nope. Nothing. Anyways, where wasYep there it was again. Sounded like it came from the carpet. A scratching noise. 


I sighed. Maybe being awake was a good thing! My body, sensing something, roused me from sleep to... Aaaand now it's gone. Bringing the covers closer, I leaned closer to the edge of the bed. Nothing. No surprise-it was pitch black. Stupid. Reaching for the lamp string, I paused. No.... No need to ruin this yet. There was still a chance for sleep. Lying back down, I found comfort once again in the embrace of my pillow-the perfect blend of warmth and support caressing my head. I’d have a few hours, at least, less if that jackass with the motorcycle drove by around 4 again. Do I need earplugs? Seems like overkill, butAnd then I heard it again. Closer, again on the carpet. The scratching. Harnessing pure animal instinct, I curled into a ball, bringing my legs closer to my chest. Reaching for my phone on the end table, I tore it off of its charger and clicked on the display. Mashing in the password, the phone buzzed.


What do you mean, ‘incorrect’? I put it in just like I-ah, my finger slipped. Another flurry of finger movements later, the phone came to life. Finding the flashlight function, IOW DAMN IT, THAT’S BRIGHT! Well, for better or worse I was awake. Bringing the phone’s beam in front of me, I took the best scan of the carpet my now-burning eyes would allow. Pants… Shirts… Nothing. I slid back under the covers. Maybe it was something outside-A cat or something. Plugging the phone back into its charger, my mind slowly eased back into neutral. Don’t think about work tomorrow, man… Just think about sleep.  








4:41. Still. Awake. What the hell was that thing? It was coming from the carpet, I knew that much, but… My mind briefly considered turning on the light and doing a sweep.


No way. I still have time to rest my eyes. Just gotta focus on not focusing, that’s all. If you don’t think about sleeping, it comes easily-that’s why it’s so easy to fall asleep everywhere elAGAIN.


This time the sound was closer. Much, much closer. The edge of the bed, I was sure of it. Half-rolling, half-collapsing out of the bed, I picked myself up as the scratching sound continued, like several legs on fabric. I reached for my phone again but hesitated. No, not this time. My mind struggled to remember where the lamp string was hanging above the bed. Was it a rat? Spider, maybe? No, sounded too big. This was-Oh god, it stopped.


Were there scorpions in this part of the country?


Swatting like a cat at a fly, my hand finally felt the string connected to the lamp. I pulled. The room burst to life with fluorescent light and I came face to face with-








Nothing.






I blinked. With my free hand I grabbed the covers, arm still trembling from adrenaline, and shook. No hissing, no scratching, nothing. S**t. S**t, s**t.


S**t.


More awake than I ever was, I snatched the pillow from the bed, kicked the sheets into the corner, and elected to spend the rest of the night on the couch, never knowing what I had heard.

© 2016 dugle


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

166 Views
Added on March 9, 2016
Last Updated on March 9, 2016
Tags: fiction, short story, apartment, bed, suspense, first person, scifi

Author

dugle
dugle

CA



About
A California resident with way too many half-baked ideas flitting around in his head. I've written a few amateur articles for a travel site in Japan, but my real passion is writing stories. I take a L.. more..

Writing
The Field Trip The Field Trip

A Story by dugle


But... But...

A Story by dugle