The Color of a Sunrise

The Color of a Sunrise

A Story by StruckByLightning
"

A young boy's description of his first sunrise. This is completely fiction.

"
"Hurry!" she whispered. "We might miss it."
I was panting behind her. "Miss what?"
She gave me an annoyed look. "You'll see."
It was still dark when we left. She woke me up in the early hours of the morning. The sun was not even up yet. Outside, the grass was cool and wet under our bare feet. The rooster in the barn was stretching his vocal cords, ready to sing the medley that starts the day. The sky was a deep pool of ink, just waiting to swallow us up. I shivered- the air was turning colder each day, typical of an October morning.
"Are we there yet?" I whined. 
"Nearly. Now hush!" she said.
We ran onto a dark precipice that seemed to stick out in the middle of nowhere. Just under the cliff was a deep dense forest. I shuddered, thinking of the wolves and bears that lived there. 
"Let me get the lantern ready," she said. I heard her fumbling around, and a tiny flickering ball of light was created out of nowhere. "There, now we have some light."
"What are we waiting for?" I asked for the umpteenth time.
She wasn't listening. "It's nearly time, look out to the horizon." 
I did as I was told. There was nothing, just a ring of blackness that seemed to extend to the edges of the world.
"Don't worry, it's coming." she whispered.
Then, I saw it.
Suddenly, my whole world was illuminated with a bright color. Gold light danced around in my eyes, as I saw rays of light extend in all directions, from the single point miles and miles away. There was singing, a kind of choir that echoed around. All the birds stopped twittering just to listen to it. Then, the sun rose. 
It was shy, a single step at a time. But as it floated, the sun seemed to gain confidence. Light, golden light flew out, and we were basked in all its glory. There were tears in both mine and my sister's eyes. The surrounding darkness blew away, like evil dispersing in the face of good. Nothing could stand in the sun's way as it floated from the horizon. Looking at it then, I could easily imagine someone was driving a chariot across the sky. It seemed to erase every thought of modern day, and replace them with more primitive ones, back in the day when humans relied on the sun for every daily need.
I couldn't speak. The word beautiful couldn't describe it well enough. The sun was golden, with its rays of golden light. 
My sister finally tore her eyes away from the spectacle. "Happy birthday," she whispered.

It was many years later that I saw the sunrise again. The second time, however, the magic was lost. Sure, the sun inspired me in many ways, but the unearthly magical feel of the sun had dissipated from me. There is nothing more innocent and carefree than the golden rays of the Sun. Nothing.

© 2012 StruckByLightning


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Beautiful. This story is Legend....wait for it...... dary!
Amazing writing!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Very nicely done! I like the mystery behind the experience of watching a sunrise. It seems like an extremely rare occurrence in this piece, which makes it all the more special to the characters. Nice descriptions as well.

Posted 12 Years Ago


The idea of a first sunrise is a great idea to write about. This to me though, is a short story about it; not, a poem. I enjoyed your imaginative storyline though.
keep writing.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

206 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 12, 2012
Last Updated on April 21, 2012
Tags: sun, yellow

Author

StruckByLightning
StruckByLightning

MI



About
Hmmm... how should I get started? Well, my display name, StruckByLightning, is a metaphor of being struck by inspiration, because inspiration can electrify a person's mind the same way lightning can. .. more..

Writing