Luminous Spotty Knickers

Luminous Spotty Knickers

A Chapter by Jasmine

10 confessions;

1.       I am overly competitive

2.       I over think everything

3.       I tend to be a people pleaser, so if someone doesnt like me I try to make them (unless the person is Kelly)

4.       Despite being ultra organised at school, Im like a total slob at home

5.       People say that Im smart, but what nobody realises is that I struggle to keep up in like every lesson

6.       There are so many mistakes that Ive made that I cant help but regret

7.       I actually want to do well in school (I am actually such a geek, I just keep it a secret)

8.       I have a tendency to make lists for everything (Hence the list here)

9.       There is only one person on this earth that can make me realise how small and fixable my problems are.

And my top confession:

10.   That person is my mum.

You read stories and watch movies of teenage girls who start the story with a big problem, you know, are teased by the popular kids, hardly anybody knows their name, etc. etc. but eventually get the most perfect boy in their school to be their boyfriend with the help of their best friend. 

Dont get me wrong, I love watching movies like that and reading books with that storyline, but I always end up feeling slightly depressed knowing the odds of my life ending up like that are zero. 

That is why this is not one of those stories. 

That and one other reason;

I have never had a best friend.

Dont start feeling sorry for me or thinking Im one of those friendless freaks because Im not.  From about the age of 5, Ive always been in groups of friends, you know, there would be like 3 or 5 of us, and we would all be very close, but everybody would have their one best friend and it would never be me.  I would always be the odd one out.  There have been times of course, when Ive gotten close to people and its been the 2 of us against the world, but somehow, thats never worked.

Well Im getting a bit sick of these teenage stories with the happy endings and Im pretty sure that Im not the only one who feels this way, so I thought Id make whoever is reading this feel better about their own lives because mine never goes perfectly.

Im not gonna bore you all of the details of how life went through the whole of junior school, because to be honest, I did a load of stupid things then that I look back at now and say What was I thinking?? so I will move on to the present day; 

I go to Lambston Secondary School; an independent school, only girls. In fact, Ive been going to an independent girls school since I was four.  Dont label me as one of those snooty rich kids who lives in a mansion, owns 3 ponies and drinks from solid gold goblets or whatever, my parents work super hard to keep me in private school, I live in a semi-detached house and the closest thing I have to 3 ponies is a cat which we got for like the cheapest price ever because a friends cat gave birth.

Ive never had a boyfriend (But then again, unlike most people, I dont believe that you can have a serious relationship when youre 13 going on 14 and to be fair, Ive never been to a mixed school so I only know around 6 boys who arent related to me).  Though I dont like to admit it, I can be a big gossip and I am a huge control freak which makes me really respect my friends for putting up with me. 

This brings me on to friends.  I have basically had the same friends since I started secondary school with the odd one or two coming and going in the first couple of years of school, (you know how big a deal arguments are when youre 11/12).  At the moment we are a group of 4, theres;

Macy - The down to Earth, super smart, constantly caring, gorgeous brunette with the cute past-the-shoulder layered look and olive, Italian skin.  She works extremely hard to keep up her grade A average.  Shes the all rounder - as good at sports as she is academically (Though I reckon that she is slightly better academically).

Brooke - The slightly crazy, fun to be around, naturally smart without even having to try fare-skinned artist, with the dark, glossy straight hair in a cute shoulder length cut.  She has the oddest fashion sense but it works for her.  She also has an A average.

Kelly - The sporty, curvy, cute, girly blonde, with the naturally wavy hair and addiction to foundation and fake tan. 

And then theres me, Melanie Dansworth, the cocoa skinned anti-sport, control freak with the frizzy midlength black hair, the addiction to straighteners and the fringe that attempts to hide the fact that my forehead is roughly the size of Europe.

Youd think with an even number, wed each have one best friend, but no.  You see, as much as I love them, Macy and Brooke have been best friends since...  I dont know, like birth or something, and they went to a different junior school to me, and though they say were all best friends, its obvious that its always gonna be the 2 of them, I mean, Kellys tried to weasel her way in a few times, you know, by trying to tear the 2 of them apart and trying to make Brooke her best friend, but no matter how hard it gets for them, eventually they come to their senses and are as strong as ever.

And Kelly?  Well, shes a lot like me, in terms of never having a proper best friend, and we tried the best friend thing, back in the first year of secondary school when we were both 11, but she stays with someone for a while, gets bored and moves on, and ever since I confronted her about it in the end of that first year shes disliked me.  To be honest, I have watched her break tons of friendships apart in the last couple of years and personally just find her really desperate now, the only reason Im friends with her now is because shes friends with Macy and Brooke and I love hanging out with them.

I should really listen to whats going on.  Its the first day of year nine and Im sitting outside eating lunch and ignoring what Kelly is saying.  Its a typical British September; the sun is trying as hard as it can to peer through the clouds yet not succeeding, harsh winds are wrapping around the trees, blowing the litter off of the streets near our school, and yet everybody (Including me) has traded the winter tights for the summer socks.

Its the first day back at school from the summer holidays, so were sitting shivering outside eating in our usual spot (The corner in the field hidden away from everyone where the bushes and the long jump pit meet) watching the new Year 7s show up with the longest skirts ever (The school says that skirts should be halfway between the knee and the ankle, but everybody but the year sevens wear them like an inch or so above the knee). 

Kellys got too much fake tan on - and shes wearing an excessive amount of foundation too.  Again, as usual she is bragging about all the fun holiday time she spent with Macy and Brooke that she didnt bother inviting me to;

Oh my god!  Yeah so wasnt it so funny when my mum pulled that face and bla de bla de bla and I was so embarrassed and then bla de bla de bla and then you guys laughed and then bla de bla de bla and then we saw that movie and then bla de bla de... Well, you get the jist. 

Shes going on and on and on about everything that she invited them to and Im sitting there in silence because, well, I have that slight pang of jealousy and, you know, what else was I supposed to do?  Macy is looking up at me from her yoghurt with a confused look on her face;

Hey Melanie, you okay?  You havent said much.

No Im not okay.  Why would I be okay? My 3 Best friends have sat there and talked for 30 minutes straight about everything that Kelly didnt invite me too and I have had to sit there like a lemon because I really dont know what to say.

Im fine!  Dont worry! Im smiling my most convincing smile but both Brooke and Macy are shooting me a sceptical look. 

One of the things I love about them is that after I say that Im fine they know that its code for them to leave the subject alone, and yet they both knew that I wasnt fine.  Kelly on the other hand, has taken my advice and is not worrying, so the focus is back on her again. 

I honestly think that every time Kelly opens her mouth I hate her a little bit more.  She thinks so much of herself that its unreal.  I mean, it took about 5 minutes before Macy and Brooke zoned out too.  Macy reached inside her lunch-bag for her phone and now shes texting, Brookes keeping herself entertained with the piece of cellophane that her sandwich had been wrapped in and Im eating my sandwich and laughing internally.  Its actually hilarious that she hasnt noticed that nobody is listening to her.  I kinda feel sorry for her.  Maybe I should listen,

I cant believe we have netball right after lunch!  Its so much effort!  I get so tired of Miss Swanrine telling me that I should be on the school netball team!  I mean after a while you wish that you know, you werent as good at sports as you are!  Melanie, Brooke, you dont know how lucky you are that you dont have her constantly asking you to play for the team!  I mean even you dont understand Mace!  Youre on the team by choice!  Speaking of netball we need partners so Brooke, Im yours.

What? See now Brookes glanced up from her piece of cellophane, Um, sorry what did you ask?

Kellys doing her classic eye roll and letting out an exasperated sigh, Netball.  Partner.  You are mine.

Whoa - for a moment, Brooke looked slightly uncomfortable there, Im not sure if she wants to be Kellys partner after all. That would be a first.

Oh, right, sorry Im Macys. Brooke mumbled quickly, and now shes gone back to what she was doing without another word.

And so the awkward silence has begun.  You see, Kelly always gets her way - she is never turned down for anything.  Plus, no one would ever say anything but we all know that Kelly would never ask me to be her partner because she doesnt like me, or think of me as a friend. She went quiet for a moment then pursed her lips and shrugged,

Thats fine; Ill go ask Megan or someone.  See you later! And now, she has got up, strutted over to the bin, emptied the whole, un-eaten contents of her lunch bag away and made her way to the closest door into the school.

God Kel!  Un-roll your skirt at least once! Macy has joked after her,

So obviously, Kelly had to turn around and be all like My skirts fine!

Which it really isnt, it just about covers her butt and her pants are totally on show, shes so in denial about it, I have to say something;

Kelly, I can see your luminous spotty knickers.

Okay, maybe I shouldnt have been that upfront about it.  Although, Brooke and Macy have both erupted into a fit of giggles.  They totally agree - Kellys knickers actually are showing.  Kelly doesnt look too pleased though; shes just rolled her eyes and tried to divert the embarrassment away from her.

God Melanie!  Why are you looking, you perv?! she screamed across the field, before actually unrolling her skirt once around the waist.

Typical Kelly, shell listen to me, but shell act like shes come to the decision on her own.  Now that shes gone, the conversation can hopefully become interesting.

You dont really have to try to look; theyre just there when she gets up! Brookes agreeing, By the way, what were you doing in the summer, Melanie?  I barely got to see you!

And now I wish that I had something interesting to say, but the truth is, I spent the majority of my summer babysitting my little brother, Max.  So Ill tell them about the few interesting things I did do and just ask them how their holidays were, (Macy goes to Italy every year and Brookes parents surprised her with a 3 week trip to New York).

You know what?  I actually love these 2.  Ive known them for 2 years now and I already feel like Ive known them forever.  Who knows?  Year nine might not be as bad as I thought.



© 2015 Jasmine


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

103 Views
Added on July 9, 2015
Last Updated on July 9, 2015


Author

Jasmine
Jasmine

London, Lewisham, United Kingdom



About
Young writer who's an aspiring author and writes a satirical teen blog. more..

Writing