The Crossing Guard

The Crossing Guard

A Poem by A. Elizabeth Herting
"

A perspective from one who holds the sign...

"

The Crossing Guard


The Crossing Guard stands in the pouring rain, a lonely vigil of one. Her neon yellow vest cuts through the gloom and although it pours, she has no umbrella. Her sign held high, she wards off the careless ones, the cell phone obsessed masses always in a hurry, never slowing down. The ones who tap their brakes once before turning right into her corner, barreling through the two crosswalks she has been entrusted with. She guards the children in her care, putting her body in front of them and all imminent danger. She feels their joy, she feels their sadness. The anxious child, waiting in vain for a father stuck in traffic, a mother running late. The Crossing Guard has seen it all, felt it all. The anger of a parent chastising her for not directing traffic properly or the impatience of the harried spilling coffee onto their laps from the sudden stop. Damn you, Crossing Guard! Yet, she is there, rain or shine, sleet or snow, just as vigilant as the mailman but not paid nearly as much. Horns blaring, children laughing, sign blowing away as she tries to hold onto it in the intense wind. The Crossing Guard is always watching, always waiting but you will never see her for the Crossing Guard was struck and killed two years ago. Mowed down in the very street she tried to protect. Yet she is there still, waiting and watching, watching and waiting. Can you see her mangled countenance, ripped scalp hanging over a smashed in face, tire tracks seared into her yellow vest? No? Well, put down the cell phone my friend and take a good look. For she can see you and she is always watching.....

© 2016 A. Elizabeth Herting


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Gee
Like this, I like Dolly didn't realise she was a good old fashioned lollipop lady. Over here they are usually aged about 112, Overweight with a burning desire to chatter. Somewhat like a favourite gran.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It took me a while to understand that a crossing guard was a LollyPop lady (British term) Its a great short story.. Spooky too :) a ghost watching us. Clever!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I'm just going to say I like it.

If I was a caregiver this would be a fine essence to aspire to

If a bit morose. Ripped scalp dangling is quite a terrifying sight so I hear.


Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Great tribute and very true observation, they are our heroes but sadly most of us don't even think about them... You have really observed well on each and every aspect of their work and presented very well....

Regards
Dhiman

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

217 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 12, 2016
Last Updated on August 24, 2016

Author

A. Elizabeth Herting
A. Elizabeth Herting

Centennial, CO



About
I am an aspiring writer living in Colorado. I have published some non-fiction, online copy writing work and recently had a fiction piece accepted for publication. When not writing and driving around m.. more..

Writing