My Love Life

My Love Life

A Story by Joshua David Dary
"

Just a very brief look at my love life (what else?)

"
   My love life really sucked.
   Seriously, it did. I guess it was just bad luck, or something. Either that, or I just happened to fall for rotten girls over a period of 17 years. At the wrong time. During my totally awkward phase.
   It's odd, too, because I'm not a bad-looking dude. I know it sounds conceited to some of you, but I'm actually fairly handsome. Sure, I may get a few zits here and there, and I'm twenty with a retainer, but even the most famous movie stars are human. Most people find me pretty cute--and that was just about all the action I got up until my senior year. Compliments. Yay.
  
Funny enough, I actually used to hate the flattery. It's not that I didn't appreciate it (what 14-year-old boy in the eighth grade wouldn't?), but really, it was my achilles' heel. There I would stand, calm and composed, and then Mary would steal a quick glance and call me adorable. This would always trigger something strange; I'd get all giggly and red, I'd say "Oh hehehe, h-hi, Maryyyyy!", and any chance I ever had at dating her, any chance at all, would be tied to an anchor, tossed overboard, and left to die next to Spongebob's house. I was pathetic.
   Although, things did get a little better my freshman year. Kinda. Towards the end, anyway.
   You see, I had met this girl. At her 14th birthday party. A party which I hadn't even been invited to in the first place, with people I didn't even know.
   Her name was *name witheld for reasons*, and she was very pretty, for an eighth grader (remember...I was in high school now). Apparently, she thought I was pretty, too (uh, I mean, uh, SEXY), and I was desperate. So, we went out.
   If you could call it that. For a month-and-a-half, I called her my girlfriend...and that was it. No dates. We only ever spent time together at her place, when her parents were home. The one time we actually did go somewhere...Well, it's a time I wish I could forget. We had gone to the park, and that was the day I had my first kiss....kinda. First, I asked her if I could kiss her, then when our lips finally did meet...well, damn. That was all it was. Two lips touching. No movement. No passion. No emotion. We must have stayed like that for at least two goddamn minutes. Just standing there, lips touching. Talk about a painful first kiss. As you can probably imagine, things were even more awkward between us from that moment on.
   Was I a bad kisser? Apparently not, as she said after the fact. I'm a good kisser.
   But, apparently, she had gone behind my back trying to get herself a date with her "best friend" for a while. So, I dumped her.
   Was it because I was an awkward, geeky guy? I guess so, because she later told me she had only liked me the first two weeks we had known each other. She had only stayed with me out of pity. She dated me because she felt sorry for me. Ouch...
   After that catastrophe, I was single for about two years, up until my senior year of high school. That's when I met *name witheld, but we'll call her Bitchwhore McSlut Face, or "Skank" for short*.
   This time, I felt I had done everything right. She, on the other hand, was a skank. So, after two months of feeling like I actually deserved her, I dumped her. (How's that for a "long story short"?)

   Okay, okay, those last few remarks seem rude. I'm just being honest. Besides, I don't call people names like that anymore (usually). I've grown up a lot since then. My love life doesn't suck anymore. I've been dating the same lady for over two years, now, and things just keep getting better. I don't know exactly why I love her--but there is movement. There is a lot of passion. Emotions fly high, between us.
   I keep thinking she may be the "one", like we're a match made in heaven. I wouldn't be surprised if ten years down the road, she's my wife. She's just that amazing. And I have her, all to myself.
   Is it because I'm an awkward, geeky guy? Totally, and I'm not ashamed at all.

© 2014 Joshua David Dary


Author's Note

Joshua David Dary
Just wrote this in honor of Valentine's Day. Ignore any glaring mistakes, as this was just written during my afternoon at work, with no breaks. Any opinions are appreciated, but whatever you say to me, keep in mind that I'm madly in love, now. And nothing can spoil this thing called "happiness". ;)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
613
Very well written, except for the punctuation errors. All in all, a great read.

Whoa, ten years is a long time to be with someone before getting married! Good luck!

- Brittney

Posted 8 Years Ago


This girl sure is lucky to have you and I'm sorry all of your other "relationships" sucked.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

210 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 15, 2014
Last Updated on February 15, 2014
Tags: Romance, Love Life, Myself, Reflection, Awkward