Long Distance Part 2 - Dating and I Love You

Long Distance Part 2 - Dating and I Love You

A Story by Joshua McNay
"

Part two of my little story of remembering the girl I care about. I know it may not be super focused but this isn't easy to write. So I do hope you like it.

"

Part 2

Dating and I Love You


 

"Actually, there is a word for that. It’s love. I’m in love with her, okay? If you’re looking for the word that means caring about someone beyond all rationality and wanting them to have everything they want no matter how much it destroys you, it’s love. And when you love someone you just, you…you don’t stop, ever. Even when people roll their eyes, and call you crazy. Even then. Especially then. You just�" you don’t give up. Because if I could just give up…if I could just, you know, take the whole world’s advice and�" and move on and find someone else, that wouldn’t be love. That would be… that would be some other disposable thing that is not worth fighting for. But I�" that is not what this is." T. Mosby.

 

 

When Jeff arrived home from the date, he couldn’t stop thinking about Britney. He immediately wrote her to let her know he had made it home safe. She was concerned about him driving back so late and even though he told her not to worry she still did. She fell asleep, as Jeff had thought she might. See Britney would normally be in bed already by the time the two finished their date, so she was tired. Jeff knew that and he thought it was cute that the next day she felt bad she wasn’t awake when he got home. It was a long shot for her to be up, but to know she was feeling bad about it must be a good sign. If she didn’t kind of like him, she wouldn’t have felt anything. So, it was refreshing to Jeff that someone was possibly into him. The two after that night became digitally inseparable, from good morning to good night, the two would talk all the time. They couldn’t get enough of each other. I love, new relationships. These two were a great example of why I enjoy them so much. All they wanted to do was talk to each other. It didn’t matter what they were talking about from naming a monkey, to seeing a nun at her work. The two talked about all sorts of things. I swear in that first month or so there were maybe one or two days where the two weren’t texting all day.


When the texts just weren’t enough they turned to video chatting. The smile on their faces when they would see each other on those small screens was priceless. Being apart like they were, this was a way for them to feel closer. Jeff would get nervous when it was getting the time they would chat. What do I wear? Sure, she was only really going to see my head and maybe shoulders but he was still concerned about it. I know she probably cared less but it was one of those things where he wanted to look good for her and he worried about it. It was like when she wouldn’t let him see her without makeup on, he liked her for her not for her eye liner. I remember the first time Jeff saw Britney without makeup, she assumed he would be scared away by it, like it was something to fear. However, it was quite the opposite, he was taken aback by how beautiful she still was. Now I won’t lie to you and say she didn’t look even better with makeup, but her natural look was stunning. He even liked it when her hair was messy, she was a beautiful mess and he wanted more. To this day. I remember him talking about a picture she sent him that he thinks is her most beautiful one she has ever sent him. The way he described it was like hearing someone describe seeing an angel. This picture was probably nothing special to her when she sent it but to Jeff it was jaw dropping. It was a simple picture of her makeup free wearing a maroon maybe burgundy University of Montana sweatshirt. She had a cute little smile, and her eyes just pierced him. She was stunning and he couldn’t take his eyes off of it. He wanted to tell her repeatedly how beautiful he thought she was because he really, truly did. He would just look at it and smile. Seeing her made him happy, happy like I had never seen. One of his happiest memories of the two that he would share was incidentally another date. I know, I know I already gushed about their first date to you and you are like can we pick something else? Don’t worry, I will get to that but our story however brief in parts would be lacking if this evening was not told. As like their first date this night stands out to Jeff as one of the best.


This night takes us back to the quaint little mountain town that Britney called home. This time they met for dinner, Britney suggested a local brewpub called the Horsefly. Jeff remembered her mentioning it when they first started talking and was down. Then again to be honest, any excuse to see her again was ok by him. They met outside and she was a sight to behold, she was wearing this cute grey top. I still don’t know how she managed to look as nice as she did in such a simple color. On the flip side, you had Jeff wearing his best purple barney the dinosaur polo. She thought he looked cute so that’s all that mattered. They got a table in the back and started to talk. He was nervous still, even though they had been out before. There was still a nervous excitement that is hard to describe. They ordered drinks, she a glass of wine and he got the Highland Scottish beer. Jeff wasn’t too big on drinking, that’s a tale for another time, but he wanted to try something different. Normally beer tasted awful to him, not sure if it was the hops or what, but it never seemed to go past a few sips. This Scottish was different it was smooth and tasted rather good, which is the main reason it’s remembered. They shared a laugh over the drinks and then the appetizers arrived, pickle fries. Now I am not going to that these were awful but you would think frying would maybe dilute the pickleness of it. Britney loved them, so Jeff of course had to partake in them as well. He just isn’t the biggest pickle fan so it was a bit of flavor shock to him to taste so much like a pickle. I guess I shouldn’t be surprised though, he had a very uninitiated palette. He was trying to branch out so I give him credit for trying it at least.


They wanted to take a few pictures to commemorate their evening, he laughed as she had a hard time getting a good angle since she had little arms. So it fell onto Jeff and his decidedly longer arms to take the pictures. I will say this about them they did take some cute pictures together. Although Britney wasn’t especially thrilled with Jeff’s choice of filter. See Jeff was a big fan of the black and white filter, for whatever reason he loved it. Britney wanted color, so the compromised and took some of each. He even got one of her where she was giving him googly eyes. It was look that said to Jeff, I like you. He now had photographic evidence someone liked him! Gotcha! Haha I kid, it was a sweet picture of the two of them. After they finished their meal, neither of them were done with the night so they decided to hop in her car and explore her town a little. Granted you couldn’t see much as it was dark but they didn’t care they were together. One way or another a lake was brought up and of course they had to check that out. Ever see a lake at night, with the night sky reflecting on the water? Gorgeous. Now Jeff has no real idea how they got to this little lake he just remembers passing the Ute Indian Museum along the way. I know this because he had me do a search for more info because who doesn’t love a museum. They pulled into the mostly dark lot by the lake. They got out and walked around a little. Taking in the beauty of the moment. It was hard not to be taken back by it. You had the lake with the stars shining on it, with a log suspiciously Loch Ness in appearance, and you had the girl. Seeing her look at him, if there was ever a moment to freeze and never lose it was this. It was perfect, they were alone and the setting was romantic. I admit they kissed a good deal, I won’t go into detail but if you’ve ever kissed a girl by a moonlit lake then you know how amazing it is.

After some time together they craved something sweet, yeah I know other than each other right? So as tour guide Britney drove them back into town they tried to decide what would satisfy their sweet tooth’s. As it was a little late in the evening most of the options were gone but luckily Chili’s was still open for a little while longer. As they went inside they were greeted by a friend of Britney’s who was working the bar. Super nice guy, wish I could recall his name. Anyway, so as they were deciding what to get Jeff had his phone on Britney just admiring her. She thought he was taking pictures of her, but he was recording a little video. She was so cute, the way she smiled as they talked was adorable. She eventually figured it out and grabbed the phone and started to film him. A bigger dork you may have not seen. They decided on the skillet chocolate chip cookie. Now if you haven’t tried this delicious treat, do yourself a favor and give it a shot. I was so good, granted the company made it better but it was a well worth the stop treat. The rest of their night was relaxed and then as all good things do, it had to end. She was tired, he had this gift in that he always seemed to keep her awake far longer than she normally would. He took it as a compliment, that she was so fond of him she would stay up later, talk for an hour longer, send one more picture, all to keep talking.

 

The more they talked the deeper their connection seemed to get. It was weird if they didn’t talk first thing in the morning and be the last person they spoke to before bed. They were infatuated with each other, people around Jeff could see it in the way he was. I would like to think Britney’s friends saw a change in her as well. Something was missing, a bit of dead air at the end of their conversations where three words should go. Now I am no expert in when a couple should say “I love you”, it’s always a tricky thing. The more Jeff talked to Britney, the more he felt like he wanted to say it to her. When they would talk, there would be this time toward the end when they were saying goodnight that just felt to him, like he should say it to her. It got harder the more he thought about it, he remembered a conversation where he told her that he was worried he might say it accidentally at the end of a conversation. As the only people he ever really talked to on the phone were his parents, and it was always “love you bye” and he thought maybe it would just slip out. She laughed and said if it did, it would be ok. Jeff brought it up as they talked because he no longer wanted it to be an accident. He wanted to tell her he loved her. This terrified him because what if she doesn’t say it back? What if she doesn’t feel the same way? In typical Jeff fashion, he overthought to the point of making himself sick. He felt better the more he talked to Britney, she always had a way of calming his nerves. One night as they talked he couldn’t take it any longer, it was killing him not to say it to her. So he tried to be smooth and asked her “remember that thing I told you I was worried might come out?” she replied “yes?...” He then told her he kind of wanted to just say it. She told him, “you can’t say that over the phone, you have to do it in person”. Which was so hard for him because it was on the tip of his tongue every time he talked to her. Thankfully he wouldn’t have to wait too long for an opportunity.


The two had planned a little get together where Britney was going to come and stay with Jeff for the weekend. I believe it was Halloween weekend if I remember correctly. She even bought sweet skeleton Lularoe leggings for the occasion, spooky yet comfortable! Jeff was exceedingly nervous as the night arrived. He had never told anyone he loved them, well other than his family and his cat. Telling someone was a new thing that he wanted to do but feared he might chicken out. If she doesn’t say it back it is going to make it super awkward and I doubt Jeff would have handled it too well. That night the two ordered some pretty delicious pizza, took the TV out of the living room and moved it to the bedroom so they could watch scary movies in bed of course. As the night winded down Jeff was trying to find the right moment. He was searching for that “look” basically something that would signal him to go for it. As they laid next to each getting ready to sleep, they were talking and it happened. Jeff just couldn’t hold back any longer. He looked at her and said, “I love you Britney.” Now Jeff will tell you there was a pause that was like an hour, but I am telling you it was like 3 seconds. She replied, “I love you too Jeff”. He was on the moon! He couldn’t believe it, not only did he say it, but to have her say it back was amazing. You had better believe they kissed after that. It was one of those moments that stick with you. Every little detail about that night is still in his head. The amount of pizza eaten by them, the number of water bottles discarded on the floor, which room had lights on, the way she looked, the way she smelled, the warmth she gave off. All burned into his brain, like learning to ride a bike it was forever in his mind. I never learned if that moment resonated with her as much as it did with him. I can only hope it had even the smallest of impacts on her, since it affected Jeff so much. After this moment Jeff was elated, he was so happy nothing could bring him down. Or at least that’s what he thought.

 

To be concluded…

© 2017 Joshua McNay


Author's Note

Joshua McNay
Review if you like. Your opinions and thoughts are always appreciated and encouraged. As always thanks for reading.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

346 Views
Added on May 23, 2017
Last Updated on May 23, 2017

Author

Joshua McNay
Joshua McNay

Grand Junction, CO



About
I write about a Little Red Fox, I hope you enjoy his adventures as much as I do! Thanks for stopping by and as always thank you for reading! Featuring art by Emily Chan, be sure to check her work o.. more..

Writing
Therapy Therapy

A Poem by Joshua McNay