Feline Revolution

Feline Revolution

A Story by Joshua McNay
"

A Short story I started writing after a fun text message conversation, It's the story of Cats uprising against humans due to their jealousy. I know that seems silly but I like it so far.

"
It was August 23rd 2012 when the war had begun. History will forever tell the story of the feline revolution that took place on that fateful day.

Cats have always been good pets; lovable, soft, and playful. They also had a dark side, a jealous side not often seen by human eyes. It was in this jealousy that the revolution would be built upon. Cats loved attention and when someone or something stole that attention away, they were incensed. Often times it would lead to louder meows or rubbing against a human to get that much needed attention back. Most of the time this strategy worked for the felines; having honed their skills over multiple generations of cohabitation with the humans. They learned that humans were a loving species, when they meowed they got what they want. Be it food, water, or attention. So why then plot to overthrow their loving masters? Why try and take the trinkets that while low in monetary value held significant sentimental value? Such was the way of jealousy for the felines. It mattered not how important it was or its value, all that mattered was it stole attention away and it was time to put it to an end.

On the auspicious days before the war began all seemed fine, peaceful even. When the human in this story we will call Daniel received a special souvenir from a female of the species, the cat that had always been the whole of her master’s attention felt slighted. Though the slight against her was imagined it mattered not, for it was the incident that started her plotting against Daniel. Her grassroots campaign to overthrow Daniel would inspire cats all over the world to take up arms with her. She started to recruit other cats during the times when Daniel was either asleep or at work. His schedule was predictable which worked to her advantage in the planning stages. She would perch herself in the window of the living room, and when cats would wander by as the time passed she would get their attention and explain her revolution. Most cats though t her crazy at the start, thinking overthrow the humans, ha! What madness she speaks. Sure her plan seemed fruitless when it was first told; little did they know that she would become the face of the feline revolution.

Her name was KitKat. She was a six year old domestic shorthair cat, some would say calico in hair color, and she was mostly a brown cat with peppered spots of black and tan. She had a distinct white ring around her neck almost like a lion’s mane. She was de clawed on her front paws; she was mocked by other cats for being less than a full cat. She wouldn’t let that hold her back, for she had her back claws which came in handy for those who mocked her. All of her life she had been a loved housecat with a passion for more. She had no idea of what more there could be, being holed up in a house for most of her days. When windows were left open she was able to speak with other cats as they passed the window. She would revel in the stories of the outside world which she as a housecat could only watch pass her by. She would hear of field mice, of climbing trees, and no one to call master.

One afternoon as she sat on the windowsill basking in the sun, while watching the movements of the outside world, she noticed a small brown and black striped tabby cat lying on the grass across from where she sat. She motioned to the small cat to get its attention. She was successful, for him being an outside cat was as intrigued by her being inside as she was of him being out. As he walked toward her she pondered all the questions she would ask him, and imagined all of the stories he could tell her. Little did she know that he a stranger at the time would grow to become her fiercest ally in the revolution she would soon come to plot.
His name was Jack, he was a light brown almost tan colored tabby stray with black stripes lining his body from his head to his tail, and he had the most piercing green eyes you would ever see. As a stray from when he was born his name was earned for his action from the other cats he grew up around. As a young cat he climbed trees with such ease, was an agile hunter, and a friend to all. They called him a jack of all trades or just Jack for short. His life was one of adventure, everyday brought about new and interesting challenges for him. Given every day as a stray was an unknown he had to be resourceful, not knowing where your next meal would come from made life tough. He never let the unknown slow him down, he lived everyday as happy and free as a young cat could. The day he met KitKat was an average day, nothing out of the ordinary.

Jack was walking along the hot pavement of Main Street, as he did most days, when he noticed a lovely green grassy yard. The yard looked as though it had just been watered; the grass was glistening and looked so inviting. In the light of the midday sun it looked like the most beautiful shade of green Jack had ever seen. It looked so nice to lie on that he just couldn’t resist. He proceeded to find a nice spot near the edge of the yard. For if he had to run, which was often the case as a stray he was unwelcomed most places. Jack figured the closer to the edge he was the quicker he could make a hasty retreat. As he lied on the grass soaking up the warm sun, he heard a familiar sound. He heard a cat, a lady by the sound of the timbre. Jack was curious, he sat up to try and get a look. Confused he was as he looked but didn’t see a cat. He laid back down figuring the cat was further away than his eyes could see. When the sound came again and more frequent, Jack looked around all over and finally saw where the noise was coming from. It was coming from a window in the house of which the grass he was so thoroughly enjoying was attached to.

Housecats and strays never really got along. Strays thinking of housecats as being pampered and lazy, and housecats thought the strays were unclean and troublesome. So when Jack saw the cat he heard was coming from inside a house, he debated whether or not to go over. Ignoring his feelings regarding housies as they were often called by strays, he decided to go over and talk a decision that would ultimately change his life in the future. Skeptical of this cat he introduced himself. “You can call me Jack, for I am a jack of all trades or so they say” he said with a slight bow, for even though he was unsure he was still respectful. “Nice to meet you Jack, my name is KitKat”. “Like the candy?” he joked. “No” she chuckled. The two were genuinely fond of each other, and almost unheard of thing being the two were from two varying classes as the humans would put it.

After their initial meeting Jack and KitKat would meet on a regular basis, where Jack would regale her with stories of the street. As she was always indoors, she loved to hear about his trials and adventures that she thought she would never get to experience herself. Of the countless stories he would tell her over the course of their friendship one story stuck out to her. It was that of Jack’s first true friend Tibbs and his untimely passing that made her appreciate where Jack came from and respect far greater.

The roads were a treacherous place strays. Even though people knew to look out for animals on the road, few did. Night time was the worst of it thanks to poor street lighting and peoples’ slowed reaction time. It was at night Jack lost his first companion and true friend, Sgt. Tibbs. Tibbs, being a former housecat became a stray due to poor ownership. He was a wise older cat of some eight years in age, two of which were spent indoors. He was a rare breed of cat, a toasted marshmallow Snowshoe cat; his feet were pure white which was a stark contrast to his toasted almond color fur. Tibbs’ family adored him up to the point where they abandoned him, saying they couldn’t take him with them. Shocked and confused Tibbs was placed in an animal shelter to hopefully find a new home.

Try as he might, he would never be adopted. Although he did all he could to garner affection, his pleas would ultimately go unanswered. So he was forced to stay confined in a small steel 5x5 concrete floored cage, the only comforts being a small food and water dish, and litter box. It was incredibly different than the lifestyle he had been living; gone was his home to roam, his toys to play with, and his family to love him. Now all Tibbs had was the hope someone would take him from this prison of a new life. When night came and all the prospective owners had come and gone, Tibbs was able to speak with the other cats he was placed near. Tibbs was put near his own kind to avoid fighting between the animals; there were plenty of cats around him to talk with. That is when the sounds of the dogs barking had subsided; thankfully they grew tired quickly, which gave Tibbs the opportunity to talk to his new cell mates. From them he heard stories of their lives and backgrounds, and of stories of those who came before them. One cat in particular, Frank, spoke of the quiet place the animals go if no one wants them. Curious as to what Frank meant Tibbs inquired and Frank explained it all. “It’s a room where we get taken but never return” he spoke so cavalierly about it as if it were an everyday occurrence like the sun rising. To Frank and the others who had been around a while it was. Tibbs did not like the sound of this “quiet” and vowed to find a way out of his most certain fate.

This vow did not take long to come into action. Tibbs having lost a few friends he had met along with Frank to the “quiet”, and fearing his time was nearing its end, he knew he had to get away somehow. Having been at the shelter for about two weeks now, he knew the most opportune time to attempt his escape was on Wednesday, the day they cleaned out the kennel area. During the cleaning the animals were placed in a small fenced-in cage with no roof. The lack of roof was the thing Tibbs was counting on, for he knew he could easily leap over the three foot high fence and make his escape. Going over his plan to himself the other cats with him couldn’t help but over hear his plan, and called him crazy. Saying that even if you get out where will you go? Tibbs paid no mind to their negativity as he was determined to get out before becoming yet another victim to the “quiet”.

As the human they called lurch took the shelters' hose and started cleaning out the kennels, Tibbs readied his escape. “I'm going to do it” he proclaimed, “Is anyone going to come with me?” They all looked at him with a bewildered look on their faces. Upset at the knowledge that those of which did not follow him would surely perish, Tibbs gathered himself and gave a short speech to the some 15 cats that were in the enclosure with him.

“Felines lend me your ears! I know you all think me foolish for thinking of fleeing this place, this prison. I may be that, but know this, if we do not leave at once, we will all fall victim to the same fate as countless others before us sooner or later. Admittedly some of you are scared, and you have good reason to be, for the outside world is a place of much unknown. Come with me and I promise we will survive it; together we will start anew outside of the onlookers who pick and choose us. No more will we parade around hoping someone will save us from our fate. No more will we see friends taken to never return. We will have that freedom that only comes from no human ownership we will be our own masters. I know I ask a lot of you to have this faith in me, but come with me and I will prove that faith is not misplaced! Now who is coming with me?”

Tibbs ended his speech no entirely sure if he swayed the others to join him or not, as he was not accustomed to speeches his was unaware if he did well. After about a minute of some of the other cats looking around and quietly discussing it amongst themselves, one cat stepped forward as if to speak for the rest. Tibbs and this cat were face to face, “Tibbs” the cat said in a scratchy voice. “Lead on”, the other cats now nodding in approval of what he was saying, he knew they had to act quickly. Lurch was almost finished with the cleaning and time was a precious commodity that they had very little to spare. So Tibbs and his new companions made a hasty plan to get out, it was simple enough in principle, jump over and run for the alley across the street. There they would be able to hide in any number of different places. After the plan was agreed upon it was time to act, Tibbs decided to stay back and act as a lookout so if lurch finished quicker than expected they could react faster.

The coast was clear, the time was now, one after the other they proceeded to scale the 2 foot fence before them. Some were able to leap it with ease; some of the slightly older cats had a tough go with it but with help made it over safely. “Only three left” Tibbs thought, “we are going to make it”, one more over then another. Now it was just Tibbs and a younger cat named Felix who remained, “alright your turn Felix” Tibbs said while still keeping an eye trained on where Lurch was still busy cleaning. With a smirk Felix took and little run up and jumped over, “almost ther...”, “Ahhh!' Tibbs had to pause as he looked over to see what the scream was for; horrified he saw that Felix's right back leg was caught in the linkage of the enclosure. He struggled to get free all the while making it difficult to free him as he fidgeted around. “Hold Still!” Tibbs shouted, it was no use Felix was in pain and panicking. The commotion and screams alerted Lurch who came to see what was going on. As he rounded the corner he was shocked to see his enclosure was all but empty, and the cats that were moments ago inside were now out. Seeing Lurch made Felix's struggle worsen as he wiggled around trying to free himself he managed to get himself even more stuck. As lurch started to get ever closer towards them, Tibbs tried feverishly to undo Felix, but to no avail. Felix was stuck hopelessly, Lurch was a mere moments away from them now, Felix looked at Tibbs and told him “Go! You fool”, Tibbs not wanting to leave him to the certain fate tried once more to free him. Again he was unsuccessful in his attempt, knowing Lurch would be on them any moment He again told him to go. “We will never forget you” Tibbs said as he put his paw and Felix's head, “Go!” Felix shouted once more, this time Tibbs listened and bound the fence to join the others who had made their way across the street. As he made for the others he looked back and saw Lurch grab Felix and yank him loose from the fence. A terrifying scream was heard as he yanked Felix, probably breaking his leg in the process. Seeing Tibbs and the others were still close enough for Lurch to chase down, he decided to give them a greater chance for survival. With that notion in his head Felix flipped around and struck Lurch in the face with a barrage of claw strikes, some so strong that part of Felix claw stay stuck in his face. Lurch howled with pain, not satisfied he had done enough he then brought down the full force of his jaws on Lurch's hand, causing blood to flow from the puncture wounds of his razor sharp teeth. Lurch now in fervor threw Felix to the ground back inside the enclosure to go after the others. He would never see them again, thanks to Felix's brave and some would say fool hearty display, they all managed to get away. Sadly Felix would join Frank and countless others shortly after that day. Tibbs later had a son he named Felix to honor his friend and unlikely savior.

Life for the newly freed felines was tough at the outset of their freedom, as most of them were housecats before their escape. Tibbs having led the charge to flee was now the leader of the pack, the others would look to him to guide them from here on out. He had to think fast, he was a little worried for he hadn't really thought too far past the initial escape. The newly formed pack set up a meager little encampment a few blocks down from the alley where they originally ran to. The alley sat behind Grover Street which was a busy street filled with people, while risky to the new strays, the rewards far outweigh the risks. In the alley were three dumpsters that were used by the few businesses on Grover Street, of the businesses the cats had become fond of the dumpster belonging to the restaurant The Bistro. Not only did the restaurant put out boxes which made ideal places for them to sleep and find shelter from rain, but after the humans had their fill of their meals the dumpsters became a treasure trove of goodies for the cats to feast upon. Life seemed to be getting better for the pack; their leader Tibbs was becoming more cunning and savvy as the days passed. He learned to hunt in between the feasts from the humans, as the alley had mice it gave Tibbs along with the others, a chance to hone the skills that before leaving they were sorely lacking.

Two weeks had passed since their initial escape and some of the cats were becoming complacent, which was unnerving for Tibbs, for if they started to waver and get comfortable he knew that they would be more likely to be at risk for trouble. A fear he would soon see come to be, as he learned of other stray packs that were looking to get the sweet set up Tibbs and his pack were enjoying. He was no fool when it came to battle, he often joked “I wasn't named Sergeant Tibbs for nothing you know”. With the knowledge of possible threats on him and his pack, Tibbs made sure to put scouts on the outer perimeter, to keep an eye out for trouble. Trouble would not come as expected, ever vigilant in his efforts Tibbs didn't let his guard down. Sure enough a little over a week after he learned of threats, his lookouts warned of a pack of close to ten closing in from the south. Tibbs called back his lookout and walked towards the southern entrance to the alley, he and two of the stronger cats, both were large Bengals, Rex and Otis. Rex was larger of the two with far more spots than his counterpart, Otis made up for his slight lack of size with being overly aggressive, which most times got him in trouble. The two were always around each other being the only two Bengals in the pack the two immediately bonded. The three of them sat in the southern entrance waiting for the pack to come. Tibbs being a cunning one, planned to try and avoid a conflict as it may leave his pack wounded and easy prey for another attack. The cats approached Tibbs and his “muscle”, the leader of the pack stepped forward, Tibbs followed suit. Tibbs introduced himself as diplomatically as possible; the leader of the others said nothing and just stared back at Tibbs. Otis clearly upset at the strangers silence towards Tibbs and thinking it disrespectful, roared “Show some respect!” which was met with more silence on the strangers part. Tibbs clearly feeling Otis was upset told Otis “its okay Otis, no need to be hot headed to our guests”. The stranger smirked, as if amused how the big brutish cat was so easily put in his place. Something funny to you, Rex remarked, the stranger now turning his attention to Rex again said nothing. Becoming tired of the silence Tibbs decided to try another approach to resolve the situation. “State your business now!” Tibbs said as serious as he could, finally the stranger spoke. “My name is Shadow” he replied, “as for my business, I think you know”. Tibbs had a pretty clear idea of what he and his pack's desire was, “What makes you think you will be successful in your endeavor?” Tibbs scoffed as he knew he had the greater number on his side. “Simple” Shadow replied, “We have already achieved our goal”. Curious as to his meaning Tibbs looked around to see if there was something that he missed while waiting for Shadow to speak. To his shock when he looked back towards his camp his entire pack was surrounded, they were flanked; they used the introduction as a distraction. How could I be so foolish? Tibbs thought to himself, even though he was cunning it would seem Shadow was far more cunning. Wondering what his next move was he scanned his pack, his lookouts cornered, all the others forced to the center of the alley surrounded. There seemed no way out for Tibbs and his pack, could we have stopped this? One of the countless thoughts that ran wild in Tibbs' mind as he looked on feeling ever helpless in the situation. Shadow pleased with the work of his pack and of himself, he started to circle Tibbs, “Do you feel it yet? That overwhelming sense it's already over.” Shadow speaking with an arrogant tone. Tibbs unamused by the boasting of Shadow rolled his eyes and chuckled “Even surrounded we will fight till the last!” A foolish sounding argument seeing as his group was presently at the mercy of Shadow's pack.

It had been around ten minutes since Shadow had corned Tibbs and his pack, and it seemed as thought it was all but over for the new leader Tibbs. While he was being circled by Shadow, Tibbs eyes started to wander almost as if he was giving up. It was in this wandering that Tibbs noticed a small brown cat sitting on a fire escape above the alley. That curious brown cat was Jack, who had been brought to the fire escape by the sounds of the commotion. Tibbs and Jack caught each other’s eyes, Shadow seeing Tibbs staring up looked towards where he was staring, he saw nothing. Jack wasn't sure if he should try and help or not, since he didn't know the whole story who was good, who was bad, there were just too many unknowns. That changed quickly however; while he watched from above he saw a sight that shocked him. One of Shadow's cats pulled one of Tibbs' aside and although he couldn't hear the conversation from where he was, he didn't like what he was seeing. Next thing Jack knew he was watching a cat being murdered, he sat there as the cat twice the others size corned the poor cat and began striking it ferociously with its claws, unable to defend itself the poor cat was bludgeoned until he could no longer hold on. Appalled and angry by the sight he had just seen and his lack of action, Jack knew he had to do something.

The cries of the cats filled the air, upon seeing the bludgeoning of their fellow cat; the Tibbs group sprang into action. Rex and Otis were the first to go on the offensive against them, using their size to their advantage they broke through the enemy defense and were able to distract them enough for the others to prepare to fight. Seeing the battle starting to ensue below Jack felt he had to help, He leaped from his perch on the fire escape and made his way down. Tibbs upon seeing his group go on the offensive decided he needed to act as well. He drew his claws and attacked Shadow, but Shadow was quick, quicker than he looked, the two were well matched. That didn't stop Tibbs from attacking with such aggression that he almost scared himself, he leaped at Shadow, claws ready to strike the head of his foe. Again Shadow was able to only get grazed by Tibbs' claws. While the battle raged on Jack made his way down to help, seeing Tibbs' group becoming overrun, he increased his speed and joined into the fray. He began by ripping into a group of cats who had some of the smaller ones cornered, his claws were fast and lethal, each swing accurate and calculated. He made quick work of them, saving the little ones from certain doom. After they were safely removed he focused his attention on the mob attacking Rex and Otis. Given their size and strength way more were attacking them than the others, thankfully with most of them being preoccupied with Rex and Otis, Jack was able to weave in and out striking with lethal precision. Their numbers quickly dwindling they focused on Jack who up to this point was almost invisible. Although it made no difference for Jack's speed was too much for them and with the focus off of Rex and Otis they were able to decimate their attackers, Jack barked orders at Rex and Otis “you two protect the rear!” Not sure who this mysterious helper was and why he was ordering them around, they didn't have time to argue they went and defended the rear. With the rear now protected, Jack focused his attention on Shadow and Tibbs, the two were fiercely locked in combat, Jack had to put an end to it.

To Be Continued.... 

© 2012 Joshua McNay


Author's Note

Joshua McNay
I am open to any and all criticisms, I want this story to be the best it can. So please give me feedback so I can improve upon my story.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Second paragraph- Honed (Idk if you meant to use that or honored or owned)
third paragraph- thought not though t
fourth paragraph- declawed
Other than that I didn't catch any grammar mishaps, mostly because I was so into it. I don't know how you came up with the idea with this,but you made an odd stupid, idea amazing! Congratulations! Not a lot of people can do that. Thanks for the cliffhanger :( now i'm going to be wondering what happened! Overall great job, I loved it :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Joshua McNay

11 Years Ago

Thanks I enjoy making odd ideas enjoyable to others, ok meant honed the definition is to increase fo.. read more



Reviews

I am definitely keeping you as a winner in my contest! Also, this story almost reminds me of Warrior Cats XD

Posted 3 Years Ago


Congratulations on placing. I didnt even know you wrote stories! huh, shows how much i know. This is very impressive too. Great job Joshua!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Thank you for the submission, I apologize for the length of time it has taken for me to review your story due to personal matters. I was intrigued, I am not usually into these types of stories but this one got me, keep it up I loved it.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Although a theasurus might seem like a great option to improve writing by replacing cliche words, your writing does not have that effect. For example, in the first two paragraphs you combined both formal and informal diction (e.g. audacious, incense, playful, loveable). In doing so, you lack equilibrium in your writing, making your writing unappealing to your reader. In order to appeal to your reader, you must write in consistent diction.



Posted 11 Years Ago


Second paragraph- Honed (Idk if you meant to use that or honored or owned)
third paragraph- thought not though t
fourth paragraph- declawed
Other than that I didn't catch any grammar mishaps, mostly because I was so into it. I don't know how you came up with the idea with this,but you made an odd stupid, idea amazing! Congratulations! Not a lot of people can do that. Thanks for the cliffhanger :( now i'm going to be wondering what happened! Overall great job, I loved it :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Joshua McNay

11 Years Ago

Thanks I enjoy making odd ideas enjoyable to others, ok meant honed the definition is to increase fo.. read more
Goodness! i enjoyed this. don't know of any critism or am any good at it. I liked this

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Joshua McNay

11 Years Ago

Thank you, I have been trying to get folks to tell me what they think and you are the first. I am in.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1139 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 22, 2012
Last Updated on June 22, 2012

Author

Joshua McNay
Joshua McNay

Grand Junction, CO



About
I write about a Little Red Fox, I hope you enjoy his adventures as much as I do! Thanks for stopping by and as always thank you for reading! Featuring art by Emily Chan, be sure to check her work o.. more..

Writing
Therapy Therapy

A Poem by Joshua McNay