Maid

Maid

A Story by jellyvalmont
"

I found a story start point post in tumblr and thought id give this short story a go.

"

You've been here for a while now, or at least you think you have. You were out for a while and you don’t even know where here is. It hurts too much too keep your eyes open for too long so you just stay there; tied up, hanging or floating or whatever you're doing. The odd times you do open your eyes there’s only faint and blurry shapes and blue above. Also something that seems to float and glide around you, but before you can try to squint or focus the stinging becomes too much to handle. You've tried calling out but again it stings. A great burning begins to force its way around your throat and nothing seems to come out and air doesn't even seem to go in. God your chest is heavy; almost clogged. Surely that isn't right. Surely there must be air here or how are you alive? Or maybe you are dead?

Everything is so strange, even the sounds here are sloshy and stifled; though it seems to have gotten better and better over time, however long it’s been. It’s so hard to tell. Another thing that has gotten better is that horrendous pain in your ankles. Being chained up wasn't the best thing.

Wait… that’s right. You were... no, I was… what?

You let your eyes open again. Surprisingly, it’s much clearer now. There’s what seems to be sand but it’s rather dark so you’re not completely sure. Some rocks maybe… but they’re this pinkie-orange colour; they look more like... coral. I, no, not I. No, yes. It is… me. I stowed away and now… now..? I look down to my legs, but they've… fused under the chains… almost like a tail? But how is that possible, how can you have been here that long. You twist your body.no.my body.no wait. You notice your arms and see that they have a layer of something shiny, almost scaly. As you take in each breath you begin to feel the air move through your neck but not your nose or open mouth. I’m so confused. It is me. How has this all happened. I was on the ship; I was trying to get away. I’d hid and hid only daring to take the smallest scraps of food. But they still found me I was sure I’d be dead. But how am I... how are we alive... underwater?

© 2014 jellyvalmont


Author's Note

jellyvalmont
critic welcome and encouraged

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

147 Views
Added on October 1, 2014
Last Updated on October 1, 2014
Tags: fantasy, mermaids, maids, the sea, sea, ocean