When the Day Met the Night

When the Day Met the Night

A Story by jennilouhoo
"

A little story of what happened when the day met the night. Inspired by the Panic! at the Disco song off Pretty Odd. I hope to make this into a video one day... we'll see.

"

She sat there, waiting. She knew not what she was waiting for, but she knew she was supposed to be there.

She sat in her garden, drinking tea. The green umbrella trees hung down around her, like a tent, sheltering her from the summer heat. Birds chirped in the distance. She wore dark clothes despite the summer’s blistering heat; they made her who she was. Her black dress hung down over her pale legs as she curled her toes in the cool grass. She felt hollow; lost. She was out of her element. The only thing other than the trees that protected her from the harsh sun was her mask. In the shape of a crescent moon, the blue mask covered up only one side of her face, but like her clothes, it made her who she was: the night.

            He was wandering. He didn’t know where he was going or what he was looking for, only that he must search.

            His clothes were a mess. His khaki pants were stained with grass and dirt and his yellow button up was un-tucked and incorrectly buttoned. One sleeve was pushed up to his elbow while the other hung down to his wrist. His bare feet padded along the twists and turns that the path he was instinctively following led him. He was empty; lost. Even though he somehow knew where he was going, he didn’t know why. Plants grew everywhere, almost overgrown, hitting him when he passed by, sometimes tangling in his disheveled, golden hair. The trees grew up so high, they blocked out the sun. It was almost as if it were nighttime, the time that left him at his weakest. He was surprised he could even see through his mask. The yellow half-circle sun mask covered the top of his face. The mask was the only thing that revealed who he truly was: the day.

            She tapped her foot. She was calm, but she couldn’t wait any longer. She felt like she was losing grip on reality with every second that passed.

            He began to panic. What if he really was going on a wild goose hunt and he really didn’t know where he was going? What if there was no way out anymore?

            His hope was fading when he stumbled upon a clearing that led into a beautiful garden framed with green umbrella trees.

            She looked up as a man stumbled out of the shrubbery. He was quite disheveled. He needed help. She stood to greet him as the man with the sun mask looked up.

            He looked up to find a woman enjoying afternoon tea in this garden. She looked quite content, but there was something in her demeanor that told him she was not quite as alright as she wanted him to believe. He straightened up and locked eyes with the woman in the moon mask.

            She felt her waiting was over. She looked at the disheveled man who looked like he was barely hanging on. He seemed to breathe a sigh of relief as he approached her and her tea table. She was suddenly glad she brought an extra tea cup with her. She stood up to greet him.

            He walked towards her, his gaze never leaving her eyes. He felt like he had stopping slipping into despair. Her eyes, full of light and wonder, had saved his life. He stopped before her tea table covered with a delicate lace tablecloth. There a place set for an extra person. He wanted nothing more than to join her under the green umbrella trees.

            “Would it be alright if we just sat and talked for a little while, if in exchange for your time, I give you this smile?” He pulled back the corners of his mouth to reveal his pearly whites, glistening in the sun. When she smiled back, he knew everything would be OK.

            She found his smile dazzling. It sent her heart a flutter. She hoped he never quit smiling at her.

            “That’s OK, as long as you can a promise not to break my little heart and leave me alone in the summer.” She offered out her hand, clad in a black lace glove. He reached out, bowed, and kissed her hand.

            They sat and they talked. They smiled and they laughed. And everything felt complete.

            He never knew that this would happen. He was only searching for something in his life, something that would make his time worthwhile. He was just hanging around. Then he fell in love.

            She never knew what magic could happen who two opposites meet. Never in a million years would she have thought that such vast differences could make something so golden.

            They stood, hand in hand, and ran. They ran out of the garden, back through the twisting maze of shrubbery he journeyed through to get to her. They laughed and they shrieked wildly. Forever young and forever free.

            Stepping out of the foliage, the came upon a hill overlooking their kingdom. There was green grass and flowers as far as they eye can see. Oceans and ponds glinted in the light.

Overhead, they sky was a brilliant golden color. The color of two lives intertwined forever more.

            Sitting in the grass, tangled in each other’s arms, they enjoyed the view of their creation. After all, all was golden when the day met the night.

© 2012 jennilouhoo


Author's Note

jennilouhoo
Not sure about some of the grammar or how much sense it makes with the changing of perspectives, but I like nonetheless.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a beautiful little story. I like how you personified day and night. The only thing that stuck out to me as a little odd in the piece was the line "They were as different as day and night" when throughout the story you've been telling us that they are day and night. Besides that it was a good story. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


jennilouhoo

11 Years Ago

Thank you! I wasn't sure about that part in there either. I started writing this months ago and just.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

195 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 27, 2012
Last Updated on December 27, 2012
Tags: Day, Night, Love, Golden

Author

jennilouhoo
jennilouhoo

About
I'm a girl in love with words and make believe. I guess that's why I love writing and acting so much. more..

Writing