Hold Back

Hold Back

A Poem by Jesse F Hayes
"

I found this on a scrap of paper as I packed up my room.

"

Can you see in the dark

When you open your eyes

That you're trapped in a room

That is covered in lies

When this veil of protection

Pulls down over your sight

Can't you see that this

Is not all that you hide

 

And I will wait by your side

To stand by the truth when

There are too many lights

Hold back

© 2008 Jesse F Hayes


Author's Note

Jesse F Hayes
So, as I was packing the last bits of things in my closet, I found an old envelope in a shoebox, and this was on it. I hope it was just drunken inspiration, and not that I heard it on the radio, or something. I googled some of the phrases, but nothing came up. I love finding things like this; the ones that are so good I have trouble believing they're mine.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

The way that you came across the poem adds something to it somehow. I don't know what it is, but I know it's good. Perhaps it's mystery. The last stanza has stuck with me, in a haunting kind of way. I like the entire poem, but I'm in love with the last four lines. They inspire me. I needed it.

Thank you

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Such a powerful and creative poem

The pace and tone of the poem fits the story line perfectly

The reader has his/her eyes wide open after this read

Well done.. any more scraps of paper?



Posted 15 Years Ago


You are a brilliant writer. I'm so glad I found you on zine... :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

that was a nice find. I do think it has potential. you really should expoind upon it more and perhaps change the meter of it a little so that you can get a better pressence with it.
It is a nice jewel in the crown though..

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Well put, good choice of words and good use of form and rhythm. The message is conveyed well.

This is a good read

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh bloody hell! I just deleted my review on accident, and then my computer wouldn't back-page to find it! Double damn! Sorry about that! This reminds me of myself. : )

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

It sounds like you, so it must be yours. I get so many images from this, of whom you would be speaking to.

Oh, so I think I'm working this weekend. I'll find out at 3:30. I was told to pack a bag... just in case. I was not prepared in any way, shape, or form to do an overnight this weekend; however, I would have Wicca girl, so it's all good and makes me smile inside. =D

Oh, review... Very beautiful, well written, and I can't believe you found this in your closet! Cool, what treasures we find at the end of an era (I almost typed ear... BAH!). You're leaving your computer for Monday morning, or at least until Sunday night AFTER the party, right? I need to load that thing on there for you, so be sure it's on when I get there.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

283 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 7, 2008

Author

Jesse F Hayes
Jesse F Hayes

Tulsa, OK



About
Jesse lives in Tulsa, Oklahoma with a dog named Adara and various puppies named after desserts. She likes to wear sweaters two sizes too big and jeans one size too small. She drinks entirely too muc.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Jesse F Hayes



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Home Birth.. Home Birth..

A Story by Rain


comma nazi comma nazi

A Poem by Rain


The Brick'n The Brick'n

A Story by Rain


The "F" Word The "F" Word

A Story by Rain