The Guitar

The Guitar

A Story by It's Me, The Miracle
"

A recall of excellence

"


She tried to play her new guitar once again….She loved it very much, the color, the texture, the sound…..everything on the guitar fascinated her very much. She felt proud of herself being the only owner of that lovely guitar. It was her first night of owning a guitar. ‘First night’ she whispered the phrase repeatedly while looking at it. With her guitar placed on her lap, she couldn't sleep and then she realized that how intensely she desired to have this. She waited for the sun to rise soon, so that she can go to join the music school. She wanted to learn very fast to play this guitar. She dreamt of herself being a very well known musician across the world. With her eyes focused on the guitar, she saw the face of her grandpa who gifted her with this beautiful instrument. She was really thankful to God for having her loving grandpa. God cannot show injustice to anyone in all aspects. When all others forgot to love her, the Almighty kept open the door of his love through her grandfather. Leaving the new guitar on the bed, she went to her grandfather’s room. He was sleeping there. Without disturbing both her grandparents, she made a seat in between her grandpa and grandma, where she enjoyed the safety that was not present anywhere else in this world. As often, she didn't want to wake up early in the morning. While cuddling towards her grandpa, she remembered about the guitar and then was quick to get ready. Her grandpa also got ready soon and on the way she congratulated herself once again for owning the instrument. The first class in the music school went very well where she even forgot all the sufferings that made her buy this guitar. Now it is the interest to learn music that led her, not any revenge that held her happiness. Her grandpa also advised her not to keep any vengeance in heart as it is like a slow poison that will eat slowly from toe to head. Though her wounded heart chose to disagree, she didn't reply to her grandpa’s advice. While returning back to home, she tried to recall the moments that made her wish to learn music very strong.

 

“Don’t touch that, you need to be gifted even to touch it”. Receding hand was the first response from her. She did it even before looking at the source of this command. Only after a few vapid moments, she could look at the person who prevented her from touching that beautiful guitar. It was teacher Sheela, the music teacher of her school, who always denied her chances to sing in the class hour. Being a ten year old girl, she didn't understand the reason for her teacher to deny her the opportunity to sing. With wet eyes, she slowly turned her face as if she was asking for the reason. Teacher Sheela didn't even show the courtesy to answer her voiceless question; instead she made the girl go out of the music room and closed the door. The girl wanted to cry, but she didn't as she promised herself not to cry anymore. Enough is enough; yet, she didn't want to leave this matter as such and decided to know the reason for this ignorance. With all the courage she could gather, she headed towards the staff room to meet the music teacher. It was the laughter of a group of teachers welcomed her while reaching the corridor of teacher’s room. The beautiful voice of the music teacher accompanied the laughter. The teacher was laughing at someone whose voice is bad. Suddenly the girl realized that they are discussing about her. “….and the funniest thing is she even cannot talk properly because of stammering yet she wants to sing….She is a real burden that is here to waste my time”. The teacher couldn't control her excitement even in the class room and she teased the girl in front of her classmates. The behavior of the teacher pained her friends more than her and her close friend was very quick to reply. “If she cannot sing vocal, it is better to teach her instruments”. As in the case of every other appeal raised by the powerless, those words also didn't inflame a healthy answer.

 

 

Being a bright student in the music school, she became her teacher’s pet and within a week she learnt to play all the seven fundamental music notes in the traditional music system.  In next six months, she learnt to play guitar along the vocal track. One day, her music teacher asked whether she can produce vocal alongside the rhythm of the instrument. Till that day, her only platform in vocal was her bathroom and it remained so until that very day. With the curse of stammering in her tongue, she never even thought of producing vocal music in public, but her teacher was confident. “If music has a place in your heart, it will surely come out of your mouth. Music is a heavenly gift, you proved that your fingers are gifted and now prove it with your tongue”. The words kept echoing in her years and she tried to sing for the first time in front of her music teacher, but it was not a success. That was another sleepless night for her and the next day, the first thing in the morning was to sit before God. While closing eyes, she felt a pressure coming out of her mouth. She took her guitar and started playing it…..She was not sure which song was she playing……She was not conscious on those moments and on finishing her prayer she opened her eyes to see her parents, grandparents,  uncles, aunts, brothers and cousins were looking at her in surprise. All seemed to be really happy. In those unconscious moments, she sang “thirunamakeerthanam……..”  Her grandpa embraced her and said “I am proud of you my child”. Her parents kissed her. It was the most memorable day in her life. She still value that day than the talent day of her school that announced her as the best singer and the best guitar player in the school.

© 2013 It's Me, The Miracle


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Thank you for the amazing story. I like the way you led the reader to the positive ending. Playing music is a skill I could of learn. Take hard work and a lot of practice.
Coyote

Posted 10 Years Ago


It's Me, The Miracle

10 Years Ago

Thanks a lot for the encouraging words dear friend. In fact, I am not able to read from your poetry.. read more
A well written piece...a well maintained example of excellence...

Posted 10 Years Ago


It's Me, The Miracle

10 Years Ago

Thanks a lot dear friend
good. review mine if you can.

Posted 10 Years Ago


It's Me, The Miracle

10 Years Ago

Thanks for the comment...
Really good piece..
Her teacher was really bad..unfortunately schools are full of them..
I'm so happy the girl had her dream came true..

Posted 10 Years Ago


It's Me, The Miracle

10 Years Ago

Thanks a lot K

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

231 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 27, 2013
Last Updated on July 27, 2013
Tags: Guitar, Short Stories, Music, Songs, Student