A failed attempt

A failed attempt

A Story by It's Me, The Miracle
"

A story posted in my blog http://jishajagadeesh.blogspot.com/2013/07/a-failed-attempt.html

"

 

A pair of eyes was observing her as she moved towards the door leaving the bed.  She looked at the clock that showed half past two. Though confused, she opened door with all the gathered courage and went out. Before heading towards the deep well in the courtyard, she made sure that no voice is heard from the house where her family was in sound sleep.  She closed the door without making sound. While advancing towards the well, she felt that somebody passed across at the back from left to right.  With an inherent fear, she stopped moving and looked around. Was it mom, dad or brother? She landed herself in dilemma and decided to return.  With no sound, she slowly opened the door and went to mom’s room. She was sleeping. First time in her life she felt that her mother is very beautiful. Dad was nowhere to be seen. Was it dad? A sudden glimpse of thought appeared in her mind. Carrying the stress, she left the room to the drawing room where she saw her dad sleeping on the sofa. Thank God, she was relieved and slowly moved towards her brother’s room. He was sleeping on his study table without even removing his specs. She gently touched his fore head, removed his specs and books to make his sleep comfortable. After switching off the light, she went to the kitchen and took a bottle of water from the refrigerator and drank from it. While closing the refrigerator, suddenly she heard a fluffy voice: voice of the one who possess those bright pair of eyes.

 

She looked at the pet and realized that it was the kitten that made her come back from the well.  In spite of her dashing hopes, she was thankful to the kitten as she could see her parents and brother once again for the last time. While she took the kitty with both the hands, the pet tried to cuddle towards her bosom. Without entertaining the attempt, she kissed the kitten and left it on the ground. The warm drop of tear that fell on her hands while leaving the kitten, made her realize that she was crying. The kitten looked at her eyes once again as if it asks whether everything is alright. When she sought to leave with no answer towards the door, the pet poked on her feet. The kitty was trying to convey something, but with not much time for the dawn, she left it in the kitchen and headed towards the door. Once again she opened the door without making noise and slowly walked towards the well.  Though dark, she could catch every part of the courtyard very well with the presence of the crescent in the sky. She reached the well and gazed at the water inside the well. The water is at a great depth. Rejecting the temptation for a second thought, she mounted on the wall of the well. While she was about to leap, suddenly the kitten whooshed from behind. In astonishment, she looked behind to see the kitten.

 

“I made you sit inside the kitchen and locked the door, then how did you come out?” she asked in a low voice. The kitten looked at the kitchen window as if it is answering. “Now you go back and sleep, it’s too late”. The kitten stayed there without giving attention to her words. It seemed to be curious at her unusual conduct and kept staring at her with occasional meows. She looked at the kitten and put her finger across the lips to make it silent, but the kitten kept meowing. During this time, the second thought entered into her brain without permission. If the kitten keeps meowing like this, it may wake her parents and then they may hear the sound of her leap in the well. Also, there is a chance of the well may not have enough water for her to be drowned. If there is not enough water to die, it will be difficult to get out of the well and finally might land in absolute failure. As a result of the second thought, she pulled herself back from the well. She took a small stone from the courtyard and put it in the well. She could hear the sound very well. If a small stone could make this much of sound, her attempt may cause a heavy noise. While she was experimenting with the stone, the kitten kept watching her and it seemed to be more curious to know what is happening there in the well.

 

With the stone, she couldn't perceive the depth of water in the well and finally she decided to leave the well.  As she could see the first rays of the sun on the eastern horizon, she hurried towards the pond at the corner of the courtyard, where amble water is there for her to be drowned. Even after her leaving the well, the kitten was peculiar to see what is inside the well. Finding her leaving the place, the kitten climbed on top of the wall of the well as if it is doing a great thing. With the very first flakes of light on earth, the kitten was surprised to see another kitten in the well, but the vision was not clear. Yet, it understood the reason of the girl threw stone to the well. The animal was not ready to accept the failure like the girl. It intensely wanted to defeat its counterpart in the well. During this time, she was descending through the steps of the pond and simultaneously the clock of her mom’s room made the alarm at 5 am. Without knowing her mom waking up, she proceeded towards the pond, but the sudden noise made both the girl and her mom astounded. Suddenly her mom came out of the house and saw the kitten standing on top of the wall. “What are you doing here? How did you come out? Why did you throw bucket in the well? Who opened the front door?”With numerous questions without a cease, the kitten seemed to be frightened. Looking at the scared pet, the woman took it within her hands.  Holding the kitten, the woman looked at the well. The kitten also could see the well. "Oops!! The kitten seen in the well is still there!!!". It was a shock to the kitten. Its attempt to kill the enemy present in the well has failed. The animal felt that "I will never be able to kill that enemy as there is someone else is there with it". In a deep routed disappointment, the kitten cuddled towards the woman. While coddling the pet, the woman repeated the question, who opened the front door? With disappointed eyes, the kitten looked towards the pond, from where the girl was returning.

 

© 2013 It's Me, The Miracle


Author's Note

It's Me, The Miracle
Thank you for reading

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Yes Animals have that high instinct that people do not have.

Posted 10 Years Ago


It's Me, The Miracle

10 Years Ago

Thanks a lot for your review dear Jay
Lewis Findley

10 Years Ago

Hello.. I hope you are well. "J"
Animals as we all know have a stronger sense of things than we do, they can hear and see things that we can't, whether intentional or not the kitten played such a huge part in saving not only the girl but a family and itself from death and grief. You have a good concept here and a nice little story, it held my attention all the way through.

Posted 10 Years Ago


It's Me, The Miracle

10 Years Ago

Thanks a lot for the very encouraging words dear friend

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

437 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 10, 2013
Last Updated on September 10, 2013
Tags: Suicide, life, love, pet, animal, kitty