Careful, Carolina

Careful, Carolina

A Story by Jocie de Jaune

My name is Carolina. I'm sixteen years old and today I meet my foster 'brother'.


 Iv'e been told he's seventeen and never knew his parents, apparantly he's been passed around, like a parcel, never had a home. Mum and dad seem to think it would be a good idea to take in a troubled child and give them a last chance in life. Dad also thinks, although don't tell mum, that it would look good in the press. 'prime mimister takes in child', 'The adam's family adopt', 'troubled child fostered by the primeinister'. I'm not too fond of the idea. call it only child syndrome but the thought of another child gobling up the tiny attention dad has for me away from his busy calender, seems somewhat unapealing. Ok, I'm really angry. You might aswell say 'Carolina your not good enough and we thought that a 17 year old with severe mental trauma and a troubled past is a good replacement'. I mean, sure I'd love to be all moral and cool about it but hey, I'm not.


'Carolina this is Percy', my mums dainty voice broke the silence. He's staring at me. Crap, I knew they'd notice I hadn't brushed my hair, who has time? 'Well erm, I'll leave you two to get to know each other... be nice, my darling'.

'I will!', ugh what was that? I sounded like a strangled duck. OK be nice, Cat, be nice.


'Hey, I'm Cat, erm, it's cool to finally meet you!' He just stared at me. I swear a flicker of amusement ignited in his eye.

'You look like Medusa'. Oh great. The first think he says to me is that I resemble a greek monster. I want to tell him to do something anotomically impossible but that would be rude. Play it nice, Cat.

'I tend to not focus on myths'. He just stared back, his stunningly silver eyes cutting through me like a knife.

'Soooooo....how was your journey?'

Nothing.

I tried to carry on the small talk, the way I'd been taught, 'Must be hard for you, at least...erm...at least the...er weather's nice'. What the hell cat? This dude has just been kicked out but, hey, nice day!

'Who even likes white?'. Wait, what? his voice echoed in my ears.

 It took several minutes to understand, he's talking about my dress! I looked down at the white cotton. My cheeks went red, mum forced me to wear it. Said I had to make a good first impression. Oh, god. I knew it looked weird! White never suits me, it makes my skin look even paler. I looked over at what he was wearing. Ripped skinny jeans, tight black tee, leather jacket and thick black boots. Pretty much how I wished I could dress. His gold hair tickled the bottom of his ears and was the same shade of his skin, they both seemed to somehow shine. His dusty eyes stood out, they didn't seem as if they belonged to the same body. He was like a cute Frankinstine. But ew, just no, there was nothing cute about his stuck up and mean attitude.

'Sorry, you seem to think that I care.' I hissed. No more Mr. nice guy or girl or, whatever.

He just looked back with an infuriating amused and crooked smirk, I'm going to punch that sodding smirk clean of his fa-


'Is everything going ok?', mum popped her head around the door. Great, one look at my raised fist and she went quite pale, even for her. 'Carolina, what the-'

'It's ok'. his voice was calm and persuasive, he pulled the crooked smile thing on mum,'Your daughter was just showing me her punching position, you see i used to do boxing with the Hewlett's, an old foster family, and I thought I could teach her a few things.' Wait what? He boxed his foster family?

Believe me, mum was stupid but not that stupid. You could tell by her face she knew he was lying. 'Well I was going to let Carolina do the tour of the house but I'm sure Mr. Adams will love to, I want to have a word with her alone. Mr. Adams will come in a minute and Carolina will come and get you around eight for tea, alright Percy?'

I swear for a second I saw dissapointment flash across his face, did he really hate me that much?

 'That's fine, thank you Mrs. Adams' I spontaneously felt the need to pull tongues at him, it was hard enough not to turn around. contain yourself, Cat. Nice meadows, lambs, rainbows.


After a long time listening to mother's 'I'm so dissapointed in you' speech it was already eight and she sent me up to get Percy. I knocked on the door but there was no reply. I was about to go in when I felt a cold hand on my shoulder. 'Oh my god!', I squealed and turned around to see a pair of grey eyes staring back at me.

'Crazy, isn't it, I have that effect on most women', I punched him in the shoulder, not lightly, either. Satisfaction ran through me as I heard his suprised yelp. I laughed so hard. I'm sure I scared him off.

'No! You got me!', he generally looked startled for a second but then that crooked smile returned.

'I got you',I replied giggling. He gave me that gorgeously annoying smile.

'So, are you taking me to dinner, or n-'


bang.

He fell, three bullet wounds across his chest.

A golden boy bathed in crimson.

© 2015 Jocie de Jaune


Author's Note

Jocie de Jaune
Very random first draft. All reviews are welcome, good or bad! includes every prompt apart from 4+5

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Editing, editing, editing... I suggest you read it aloud - s l o w l y - ensuring you say the words you used and not the ones you THINK you did. I don't know if punctuation (as in quotation marks usage) is the same anymore - country-by-country.

The dialogue and its tone was spot on. The last three lines - precious.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jocie de Jaune

8 Years Ago

Thank you for all your constructive views, appreciate it! I'll definitely take on your advice!



Reviews

Editing, editing, editing... I suggest you read it aloud - s l o w l y - ensuring you say the words you used and not the ones you THINK you did. I don't know if punctuation (as in quotation marks usage) is the same anymore - country-by-country.

The dialogue and its tone was spot on. The last three lines - precious.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jocie de Jaune

8 Years Ago

Thank you for all your constructive views, appreciate it! I'll definitely take on your advice!
liked it a lot, mes ami
keep it up Frenchois,
c'est nice

Posted 8 Years Ago


Jocie de Jaune

8 Years Ago

ahahaha merci! ;-)
Good story! The only thing that confuses me is the ending. What was suppose to happen here? Did he die or merely pass out?
I think you write wonderfully, just the ending is a bit vague, leaving me wondering what happen to Percy. Thanks for sharing your story though!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jocie de Jaune

8 Years Ago

Thanks :) its definately a work in progress! He's actually shot in the end... not sure if he dies or.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

584 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 6, 2015
Last Updated on September 8, 2015

Author

Jocie de Jaune
Jocie de Jaune

Toulouse, France



About
I speak fluent English but live in the south of France. Writing makes me happy! My favourite book, all though its painful to choose, is probably the haunting short novel, member of the wedding by Cars.. more..

Writing