We Had a Friend for Dinner

We Had a Friend for Dinner

A Chapter by Jonathan Bryant Dean
"

A true story from my youth.

"
Previous Version
This is a previous version of We Had a Friend for Dinner.



 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A hat with the bill rounded just so...

The hat was stained with grease where I took it off with my dirty hands to wipe my sweaty brow. Man it was hot that day, when my friend Nan died.

That very day my Dad had viciously killed Nan with a single hammer blow to her head. It was a violent death, as gore and brain matter landed with a visceral wetness on my face. It was my first time.

I remember helping my father remove her head. We split her from stem to stern with a strange detached, almost surgical demeanor. I was an assistant to a Doctor, but not in an air conditioned hospital. We were in Kentucky, on a remote hillside, in the heat of the summer sun.

I remember that initially I was sad, for we had just lost a dear friend. I could not blame my father though, for my mother was the one at fault. Mother had given Nan her last meal. As Nan was eating she started to gasp, her eyes bulged and she could not breathe. The Heimlich maneuver was not an option. My father knew what he must do, and that is when he grabbed the sledge hammer.

To lose Nan, was a crushing blow to my heart, as well as to her head. The least surgical maneuver was Nan's death. Then there was the removal of her vital organs. The smell of blood is not so bad, but the smell of the intestines, as they evacuate one last time, is as foul as the stench of any truck-stop bathroom.

The heart and lungs, the liver and kidneys, all still bright with wetness, still not quite dead in their appearance. It seems a shame as my father throws them to the dogs, since I am sure that someone could have gotten some good from those organs, but the dogs do have to eat as well. Though I guess it is cheaper than dog food.
There is no dignity in death, as even her head was offered over to the hogs in the pen. By this time we felt that we had dissected her body sufficiently. The rest of Nan's body, not recognizable as either human or animal, was divided into two categories: edible, and not edible.

Her feet for example, would be inedible, and at least very unappetizing. The meat of her butt however, would be very tender. For, you see, the dissection performed by my father had divided her lifeless form, with hair all in disarray, into a beautiful tray full of steaks and chops!

That summer day was hot, and the effort caused a sweat, that caused me to take off my hat, with the bill rounded just so, to wipe my sweaty forehead. Then I noted that there was evidence of our work, on the bill of my hat. A set of bloody fingerprints now added to the grease. A red badge that signified what we had just accomplished.

It was hot to the point of misery, but I remember thinking, 'we will have meat tonight', which was a rare treat in my childhood. I will never forget Nan, and I find that as I grow the memory of her taste has left me. That is sad, for I am sure she was delicious. I do remember that it took us three days to eat her.

I will never forget the sad look in her soft brown eyes, as she realized that we were going to kill her. But we held no malice, and it did make me sad, for a while. Thank you Nan.

I do not have that hat any more, with the rounded bill, just so, but I do have the memories of my friend Nan.

I'm hungry, now do you know any friends whom I can have for dinner?
 



© 2008 Jonathan Bryant Dean




Featured Review

Oh goodness. The driving force behind this story is brilliant. You... ARE talking about kill and and eating a cow, not a person... right? At first I was sure that this story began with a brutal and apparently unprovoked homicide, and I really like how you never quite clarify that that isn't really what happened - remarkable subtlety! The shorter sentence and entertainingly unsophisticated vocabulary give it a very nice voice, too. You do seem to change your tenses around a little, though, which I found a little confusing, but it wasn't too much of a hinderance. Well done (or, perhaps I should say medium rare...)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Enjoyable read! Nice approach to being brutal and bloody. This is smart. I like your style.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Z
This is one I like, though brutal aha I like the whole description given in how it felt.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

HAHAHA!!!

Wonderful! Now I'm feeling the urge to whip out a bit of my insane poetry. A true inspiration you are!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


This so extremely sad, but very well written at the same time. I turn into a very different person why people mention animal cruelty, for I am a vegetarian. But this changed my mood; because it was like you where very thank ful for the food Nan had given you that night.
I'm off to read the other chapters! This one was really good though.

(:

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


Mmm...I haven't eaten lunch yet, and this story has put me in the mood for something flame-grilled and bloody.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


Mmm...I haven't eaten lunch yet, and this story has put me in the mood for something flame-grilled and bloody.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


Powerful. I will be back to find out who or what 'Nan' was. I'm guessing Nan was an animal on a farm--at least I hope so. The suspense builds like a storm over the ocean. It swept me right along hoping that Nan is what I suspect. The bloody fingerprints on the cap's bill are a vivid image--'a red badge' measuring the young boy's pride in what he has just accomplished with his father. Everyone that eats meat should read this to appreciate what goes on behind that meat counter at the super market. At least I hope Nan was that type of meat since the hook is still dangling and I have to return to read the next chaptere.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


Hmm, apart from the gimmick about it being a cow, it's just a gory description of a dissection.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


I hope you had some farva beans and a nice chianti to go along with that, just yummy.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


I love subtle stories such as this one. It is as if I read two books: One being the written lines, and the other between the lines. I look forward to finishing the other chapters. I just hope they were killing a person! I don't like when animals die in stories.
:)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

447 Views
22 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 6, 2008


Author

Jonathan Bryant Dean
Jonathan Bryant Dean

Middletown, OH



About
Jonboy may make you mad, but at least he has made you think. "If you get mad, that means that you have an opinion, if you have an opinion, at least you have some conscious thought."--JonBoy There on.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Food or Gas? Food or Gas?

A Poem by Tonya


HEY there! HEY there!

A Poem by siri