Ringing of the silent bells

Ringing of the silent bells

A Poem by Jon Gary Frost

 

In early times, when God was young

and sound could carry far away

A single tone was often rung

to signal time to make your way.

And hands would lineup just to mark that special holy time of day.

 

But now, there's changes all throughout,

and sound is more like symphony.

On all things now we place our doubt

on altars built more secularly.

The silent sound of bells deafen those who live their lives so piously.

 

 

© 2009 Jon Gary Frost


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Jen
Very deep. Wow. I really liked this piece. Thank you for sharing.

Posted 14 Years Ago


I really like this. This poem can be read a many number of ways, but to me it just simply says that times, indeed, whether we like it or not, are changing. People don't need to go to church anymore; that's what television, internet, and media is for. God is constant, and people change Him to fit their own needs. That's a lot to fit into 10 lines. ;)

Again, I'm not a big fan of rhyming poetry, but you make it work... I'd still like to see an unrhymed version of this to see what you'd come up with. You use language well, and I'd like to see you do so without being trapped in a rhyme scheme.

Good stuff, sir. Keep up the good work!

Posted 14 Years Ago


Religion, often a taboo subject... not one I like to comment on but I enjoyed trying to make out the meaning of this work. God is ever changing as are those who worship him.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Jon - I liked this very much. I especially liked the last line, speaks volumes about some pious leaders and empty pews.

Posted 14 Years Ago


I dig it, man. Like the person below me said, I'm not a huge fan of rhyming poetry but you pull it off well here. The only thing that struck me out of place was the last line in both stanzas. Just a little too long.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Short but sweet; I like this one a lot. I tend to not rhyme in my own poetry, so I love it when I see other poets put rhyming to good effect and it doesn't come off as cheesy. You're clearly in the "not cheesy" category. ;-) Nicely done.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Wonderful job Jon. I like waht you did with my title! I hope to see more in the future as this contest of mine has become very popular! I hope to see more in the near future. Your poetry rhymes well and the flow is great. Your choice of words don't hurt either and the way you compose your poetry i priceless! Great work!

CarolynLewisPoe

Posted 14 Years Ago


Jon, I really like this poem! You say so much in so few words and to me, that is a grand thing to do! I like the wording you chose and the rhyme. It flows well and I agree with the message! Barbara-eyepoetress

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

314 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 13, 2009
Last Updated on July 14, 2009

Author

Jon Gary Frost
Jon Gary Frost

Nashville, TN



About
15 years of writer's block later, I'm back at it. I look forward to any and all feedback, but.....please critique my work on it's merit. If you disagree with an underlying message or opinion, that.. more..

Writing