1: The Awakening

1: The Awakening

A Chapter by Jonny Hex

 

Intense dreams flew through an adolescent boy’s mind. Jonathan awoke in bed and looked over at his clock. It was midnight; he sat up. “Man, I wish I had powers. I would teleport to Japan right now.” Jonathan lay back down in bed, falling into yet another dream.

 

<        ”Prepare yourself, boy.” A dark figure appeared.

 

“Who are you?” Jonathan yelled. The figure flew toward him with a sabre. “Who are you?!” The figure closed in.

 

“Saturos!” The figure said as he sliced Jonathan in two.                       >

 

“Whoa! What was that?” Jonathan jumped up in bed. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw something move in the dark. He looked around the room. “Who’s there? Who are you?” A winged figure stood at the end of his room. ”You’re---Gabriel!?” The figure nodded and disappeared. Jonathan got out of bed, heading for the shower. He bathed thinking of the dream that had occurred right before he awoke to find the Gabriel in his room. He wondered what it meant. He had seen this Saturos before in one of his video games. He shook his head. “I’m worrying about it too much. It was just another dream.” After his refreshing shower, Jonathan dressed in a white rafting shirt and black sweats. He ran downstairs and grabbed himself some toast. He plopped down on the couch as he normally did on school mornings, waiting for his ride.

 

A little after seven, his dad took him to school. As he arrived, he noticed a strange force surrounding him. It was similar to the feeling he had when the figure was in his room. He noticed an angelic figure similar to Gabriel enter the school as he approached the entrance. He slowly walked in and followed the figure into the auditorium where hundreds of adolescent junior high students screamed & yelled back and forth like a booming stereo. The auditorium was tan in color & split into four columns of twenty rows each with twelve seats. Jonathan followed the figure to row seven of column two from the left side. He sat down on the edge of the row, putting his saxophone & backpack down beside the seat. “Luckily, no one can see you but me. So Gabriel, What do you have to say to me?”

 

Gabriel turned & looked at him. “God has heard your wish many times but he does not think you are ready to hold that kind of power. There could be great consequences that would bring about the Apocalypse.”

 

“There were great consequences with my spiritual sight but I handled them very well. I mean my nightmares are nothing. Changing them is simple.”

 

“But if you misuse this power, your nightmares will be roaming the Earth searching for blood. And with you being like you are, they will find you quickly.”

 

“I am ready to take that chance. If it becomes too much, I can always boost my power. I will summon the spiritual force.”

 

“It’s not that easy. You know the rules of magic. There are only two ways to receive power: through the darkness or from God.” Jonathan sighed, “I will leave now. We will see what He thinks.” Gabriel disappeared. Jonathan stood and headed to the band room with his saxophone. As he left, he noticed two 7th grade girls standing outside the door: one a blonde-haired girl, the other a redhead. He tried not to make it obvious that he was staring at them, but he sensed something unique about them, in that they had a slight flux in their spirit energy. He returned to his seat as swiftly as he had left. As he returned to his seat, he glanced around, searching for any powerful spirit energies.

Above him, Gabriel and an older spirit spoke. “This one is different than the others. He is wise in spirit energy but weak in strength. His gift for spirit sight and the power deep inside of him grow. We will have to watch him as he grows, Father.” Gabriel said. The other spirit leaned up with his hands in front of his mouth.

 

“Lucifer is hoping I will give this boy the power so he will misuse it and summon the darkness back to this world. Lucifer mostly just wants to be released from that dark tomb of Hell. I just hope the girl does not appear also. We don’t want him to know that she is still around.” Gabriel nodded. A bell rang in the hallway. The students got up, making their way to class.

Jonathan stood, leaving for class. As he arrived in Math, he noticed something different; the presence of a great power. Two big bulky guys walked in. Each walked down a different row. “Hey Kentovious and Roman. How’s it going?”

 

“Hello Jonathan.” The smaller of the two said in a mysterious voice. “You still have my pictures, don’t you?”

 

“Yea, Kentovious, but I like them. They are extraordinary.” Jonathan grew an evil smirk. Soon a girl and a short Asian guy walked in. “Mike and Emily, good day to you both.” Jonathan gave a partially evil smirk towards Mike

 

“What’s that look for?” The boy said with an evil smirk of his own. The girl smiled and sat down. Jonathan went through all his classes for the day. As he waited outside of the school for his ride to take him home, he noticed a strong presence that he had not noticed before. Two of his friends were standing near him. Jonathan could not tell but the sense seemed to be coming from them. Both of them were heavy-set guys but it was strange to Jonathan that he never noticed that his two friends, William and Nathan who he had known for a few years, had so much power. His ride arrived in front of him so Jonathan just brushed the feeling off as if it were nothing. After he arrived home, he started a fictional writing. He had started many stories, which he never finished. He would start out writing down ideas and then forget about how he wanted things to go. He often felt like his created characters held a grudge against him. Two nights passed and in sleep came a summoning.

 

<          “Jonathan Andrew Herren of the Alabama Herren Family, I will grant you your wish against all the requests of my angels. It will last one week. If you do not misuse the power in this time, it shall belong to you.” A large, powerful spiritual being said in his dream. It disappeared after surrounding Jonathan with a bright light.

 

     “Who are you?!” He chased after the being until his dream ended.                     >

 

Jonathan awoke. “I don’t believe it. My prayers have finally been answered. I have been granted an enormous power. Thank the Lord. I will do as you said and stay pure. I shall use my power to benefit the world and universe. I promise on my life.” He looked beside him at the clock. “Midnight. I will go train.” He teleported to a wide, open field. He started with a few thousand pushups. He then strapped some weights to his arms & legs. He did a mix of boxing and karate exercises.

 

He took a break & meditated in midair. He saw a large spirit underneath him. It was a large creature with three heads: a lion, a goat and a dragon. It also had the body of the lion, the legs of the goat and wings and tail of a dragon. “Whoa. It’s a Chimera, but they are supposed to be guardians. What is it guarding?” Jonathan listened and heard a young girl singing. He followed the sound to a wide river. In the river was a beautiful young girl with long azure hair streaming down her back like the tail of a comet. She was bathing under the waterfall at the mouth of the river.

 

He turned away and directly in front of him was the Chimera. The creature lashed out at him, knocking him into the river not far from the girl. The girl spun around and covered herself. “Who are you?!” She dressed herself quickly and grabbed a stick, pointing it at Jonathan’s head.

 

“I’m sorry! I wasn’t peeping at you! My name is Jonathan and I came here for training. I heard your beautiful singing and came to find the source. May I ask your name?”

 

“My name? It’s Ruby. I am a teenager from the town of Aurora.” She stared at Jonathan looking him over. Jonathan stood up.

 

“Ya know, Ruby, you are one beautiful gal.” He walked closer to her.

 

“You’re not bad lookin’ yourself, Jonathan you said?” She dropped the stick.

 

“Yes, my name is Jonathan. What is this place?” She stuck her feet in the river.

 

“This is my special waterfall on the Fox River.” Jonathan’s watch beeped. She looked back at him.

 

“Blast. I’m going to be late again. Well, nice to meet you Ruby of Aurora.” He started to take off. She jumped out of the river and ran towards him.

 

“Wait, where are you going?!” She screamed after him.

 

“To church. You do know what that is right?” He looked hopeful.

 

“Nope, will you take me with you?” She had a look of innocence.

 

“Surely.” He dropped back to the ground and grabbed her. He started to fly but stopped midair. He changed their clothes to formal clothing and teleported to church.

 

At church, Jonathan introduced Ruby to his youth minister, Russell, who knew of Jonathan’s special spiritual sight. They walked off to the side. “Jonathan, you're the man. You picked up a hot chick and brought her to church to become a Christian.” Church started. As everyone sang, Jonathan caught himself looking over at Ruby. He noticed that she too was looking out of the corner of her eye and smiling. After the songs were over and preaching had begun, they slipped their hands into each other’s. Russell caught hold of this and a giant smirk emerged on his face. Near the end of the service, Russell walked up to the podium and said, “I am up here to tell everyone that Jonathan Herren brought us a young girl who has never heard or been to church.” He left the podium and sat back down beside Jonathan. The service ended and Jonathan returned Ruby to the waterfall. He dropped her off and began to leave but she grabbed him by the arm. She spun him around.

 

“Thank you, Jonathan. I enjoyed church. Maybe we can do this again.” She said and kissed him. He embraced her kiss and they smiled.

 

“Maybe. If you meet me back here at six o'clock Friday evening, we can have a date.” She grinned and nodded. “Goodbye, Ruby.” He flew off back to Alabama.” Well, she was an interesting girl. This is going to be awesome.” He sped up and returned home after a few seconds. Jonathan went inside and headed for the pantry. He grabbed some food and ate until he could eat no more. He went to sleep thinking of Ruby.

 

The week passed quickly as Jonathan thought about Friday. When Friday night finally came, Jonathan had everything prepared. He teleported to the waterfall, exactly at six. He looked around and Ruby was nowhere in sight. He felt a presence behind the waterfall but nothing was there. He waited awhile but she still did not come. He checked his watch impatiently. It was half past seven.

 

“Jonathan, I’m sorry that I’m late. I was busy trying to pick out a nice dress.” Jonathan spun around to see Ruby in a black dress. “So what do ya think?”

 

“Gorgeous.” Jonathan said. "Man, she is even hotter than before." He said to himself. They strolled through the fields talking. Hours passed and they stopped under a tree. Ruby rested in Jonathan’s arms leaning against the tree. He looked up at the stars and then looked at her sleeping in his arms, then back again at the stars. He thought of how beautiful the night was with Ruby there, though he felt an abnormal aura flowing through the winds. He grabbed her up into his arms and flew back to the waterfall. He dropped her off and he returned home. He crawled into bed and fell to sleep.

 

***** Deep in the dark abyss of Hell, a beast stood at the gates of a huge temple. The beast destroyed the gates and out came a man about six feet tall with red and black hair. He wore black baggy pants, a red tunic, and a black cape. “What took you so long?!” They disappeared out of the prison of Hell. Back on Earth, the man and demon walked through a town, obliterating everything in sight. “Tell me Diablo, what do these weaklings call this place?” The man asked the beast.

 

“Yes, Master Lucifer. It is called Aurora of the state Illinois.” The beast replied.

 

“That means my daughter is here, isn’t that right?” The man asked half interested.

 

“Yes. The princess should be near. I shall go find her for you, sire.” The beast, Diablo, said destroying a car. The beast scrambled through the night; sniffing the scent of the one he was hunting. He searched each home until he came upon one. The house was red with a red mailbox that read “Sapphire.” The beast walked through the door. Inside everything was red except for one room, which was pink. At the end of the room, a large blue bed held a young girl with long hair like a comet’s tail. The beast grinned and bowed down at the end of the bed. He picked her up out of the bed and walked through the wall to the outside.

 

“Very soon. We will meet again and you will know the truth once more. I am waiting, boy.” Lucifer said following Diablo. He and Diablo disappeared into the misty darkness. *****

 

The next morning, Jonathan awoke with glee and began early morning training immediately. After a few hours, he returned home and turned on the television to watch the morning news. He went into the kitchen to grab a few Pop tarts and a glass of milk and plopped down on the sofa. There was a story on the memorial of the WorldTradeCenter towers, another on the terrorists’ war. Then there was a story that caught his attention. He turned up the volume. “Late last night, a young girl from Aurora, Illinois was taken from her bedroom. Neighbors say they saw a giant demonic creature leaving the house. The beast was seen earlier with a tall, lanky man who was involved in the destruction in Aurora earlier that night. No one knows who these mysterious beings are or where they came from. The girl, Ruby Sapphire, was asleep at home when she was kidnapped. Neighbors say the beast just walked through the door and barged out of her room. More on the story tomorrow. This is Dan Cobb, reporting from….” Jonathan cut off the television and sat thinking. <Ruby, a beast, and a lanky man. > Jonathan thought back to one of his dreams. “A tall man with ruby red eyes and a high ranking Psycho Hell Dog. Lucifer…Diablo and…………Ruby.” 

 

“Jonathan Herren. Jonathan, you are being summoned by Gabriel”, an angel said telepathically. “You must stop Lucifer. Remember you have a duty to save the world before you are bound to save this girl. Do you understand your orders?”

 

“Yes sir. I understand. I will get right on it.” Jonathan said unhappily, as the angel’s voice disappeared. Jonathan changed into his battle armor and went looking for Lucifer and Diablo in Illinois. He covered the whole state but they were nowhere to be found. He stopped midair and searched for Ruby’s soul. He searched for a couple of minutes. “There! She’s at the waterfall.” He teleported above the field next to the waterfall. He snuck to the cliff side over the waterfall where he first saw her. Ruby was sitting on a rock, with chains around her wrists, crying. The beasts were nowhere in sight. He slid off down the cliff behind a tree near the rock. He broke one chain and then something caught his eye. Ruby was growing wings, horns, and a tail. He carefully broke the other chain and picked her up. He flew up to the cliff and laid her under a tree. He stood and searched for Diablo. He jumped off the cliff and went behind the waterfall. Instantly he found himself in the middle of the field, a sharp pain in his chest and Lucifer looking at him from the sky. Jonathan’s eyes turned red as his rage swelled out of him. They stared at each other relentlessly. Lucifer grew a smirk, exposing his winter white teeth. Lucifer came back to the ground.

 

“Well you must be the angel sent by Gabriel. Then you know all about me.” Lucifer said smirking more.

 

“Actually I know a bit but not a lot. All I know right now is you are to be gotten rid of.” Jonathan launched at Lucifer but missed him.

 

“Feisty, aren’t we. Wait a minute. You look---familiar.” Jonathan boosted his power and speed and tried to strike again. He teleported behind Lucifer and uppercut him into the sky. He flew up above Lucifer and threw punch after punch in an all-out attack. Lucifer fell to the ground, forming a giant crater. Jonathan landed next to the hole and waited for the smoke to clear. To his surprise, Lucifer emerged from the hole without even the slightest scratch. “This seems very familiar. I remember you now. This is just like your dream and just like in your dream, I will win. Prepare to die!” Lucifer launched and hammered Jonathan into the open field. Jonathan staggered back onto his feet, wiping the blood from his face. Diablo came out into the field with Lucifer nearby behind him.

 

“You know I might have lost in my dream but I’ve grown up some.” Jonathan spread his feet apart and formed an X with his arms in front of his body. Jonathan’s body started to glow as if he were the sun itself. Diablo backed up in shock as the ground beneath them started to shake. A large gust of wind started up surrounding Jonathan. His power started to increase rapidly. He brought his arms down in a quick sudden motion and everything stopped. Diablo stood in fear just yards away Jonathan. “That is just a demonstration of the enormous power I possess.” Jonathan grinned as he watched Diablo tremble in fear.

 

Lucifer grinned and then started to laugh. Diablo looked confusedly back at Lucifer. Jonathan’s grin turned into an angry smirk. “That better be true or you won’t even be able to touch me in a real battle. Or be able to save this precious girl.” Lucifer now held Ruby under his arm, unconscious and unaware of the grave danger she was in.

 

“Leave Ruby alone!” Jonathan yelled.

 

“Here Diablo.” Lucifer threw the unconscious girl to the horned beast. He trapped her in a group of claws on his back.

 

“Let her go or you’ll pay.” Jonathan shook his fist at the beast. The beast shook his head in a negative answer to Jonathan. Jonathan snickered. “It’s your bloody funeral.” Jonathan launched at the beast and yelled. “Get ready for my Rain of a Thousand Fists.” Jonathan launched a thousand punches at the beast, bringing him to his knees. Jonathan landed before him. Diablo threw up blood and then grabbed Jonathan’s leg. The beast slung Jonathan up then back down onto his knee. Jonathan punched Diablo in the knee as he came down, breaking Diablo’s knee with the force behind the punch. Jonathan released himself and tried to free Ruby from Diablo. Diablo recovered, grabbed Jonathan by the neck, and slung him off.

Jonathan landed on his feet, nailing Diablo in the stomach, and then hammered him into the ground. Jonathan walked up on his back and finished releasing Ruby. A few angels came down and bolted Diablo to the ground. Jonathan laid Ruby under the tree again and then flew into the air a few feet away from Lucifer who had been watching the fight from the sky. They stared at each other silently. Lucifer appeared in a flash back-to-back with Jonathan.

 

“You will not win if we commence. You may have gained a little bit of power, but not enough. At one point, I wasn’t strong enough for the coming war and fell to the hands of one I held highly. If you fight me, you will be lucky not to have the same happen to you.” Lucifer said keeping a stern face.

 

“Oh really, let’s find out.” They both flew away from each other then turned to return and attack. Their movements were quick and sent shockwaves through the sky. Their battle didn’t last long before Jonathan knocked Lucifer thousands of miles, then flew after him, and knocked him to the ground again. Jonathan slowly floated down and prepared to administer an energy blast. He yelled out a small chant of ‘Simsa Goha’ and energy deepened and widened the already enormous hole. He again waited for the smoke to clear when he was blasted into the sky. Lucifer emerged with a small scratch on his cheek. “No way! I put half of all I had into that one blast.”

 

“That was half?! You have no chance against me if that’s the case. My power is far greater than that.” Lucifer laughed and Jonathan reentered his power stance. The clouds above them halted and the debris below them flew up into the sky and spun around Jonathan. As his power grew, the debris started to encircle him faster and faster. The clouds darkened and started shooting out lightning, which rapped itself around Jonathan as if he were the Maker himself. He halted and they broke. After it all cleared, Jonathan emerged with platinum samurai armor on.

 

“Now what do you have to say, Lucifer. This is my true potential.” Lucifer, whom had been laughing as this happened, stopped, smirked, and then, disappeared. Suddenly Jonathan was flying downward, hitting the ground on his hands and knees. He tried to get up but Lucifer landed on him, forcing his face into the ground. Lucifer stepped off him and then kicked him into the sky. Jonathan was soon flying unconsciously over several states until Lucifer knocked him into the ground in front of a familiar school. Lucifer bent down, checking him for a pulse. “I’ve left you on the edge of life. If you are meant to ease the pain, then you will survive and search me out. Otherwise, you will die and all this would have been for nothing. Hopefully we will meet again in the future.” Lucifer turned and flew off. Jonathan’s armor was broken as was his spirit. When he at last regained a bit of consciousness, he staggered into the school and fell at the feet of the two seventh graders. When he next regained consciousness, he found himself in a hospital room. At the end of his bed was Gabriel, standing in wait.

 


Please No Javascript="msoCommentHide('_com_1')" Please No Javascript="msoCommentShow('_anchor_1','_com_1')" language="JavaScript" class="msocomtxt" id="_com_1">


© 2008 Jonny Hex


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This story seems to have a really good plot. It would be a little better if you would give more character development though. :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

330 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 5, 2008