Chapter 38

Chapter 38

A Chapter by Jemma Packman

Indigo walks into her apartment carrying a bag of cotton candy and a small stuffed toy. Summer follows behind her struggling to carry a huge stuffed toy. Indigo says “I cant believe you won that for me.”
Summer puts the toy down and says “I cant believe you took us to a fair.”
“Didnt you enjoy it?”
“Yeah, its just… I dont know.”
“Would you have preferred to do something else?”
“We still havent talked.”
“Weve been talking all day.”
“You know what I mean.”
“Weve been over this.”
“I thought you wanted answers?”
“I did. I do, but I dont need them right now.”
“Why?”
“Does it matter? I want to look forward, not back.”
“Matters to me. Is it because of what Silvain told you?” Indigo doesnt say anything. “Are you doing this out of pity or guilt? Because if you are, this stops now.”
“No. Its not a pity or guilt thing.”
“But it is because of… that?”
Indigo sighs. “You had something horrendous happen to you and I dont want to bring it up. Especially after the whole handcuff thing.”
“So it is pity?”
Indigo grabs Summers hands. “No. Its compassion and understanding, and its because I…”
“You what?”
“Dont have anyone else that would take me to a fair and win me the biggest prize there.”
Summer looks at the huge toy next to her. “I guess I am pretty awesome.” She lifts Indigos hands to her face and kisses them. “Im sorry I went off.”
“You can make it up to me.”
“How?”
Indigo smiles and kisses Summer. As they walk towards the couch, still kissing, Summers phone rings. “You should get that.”
“No thank you.”
Indigo pushes Summer away gently. “Its your mom.”
Summer pulls her phone out of her pocket, looks at the screen, clicks accept, holds the phone against her ear and gives Indigo a confused look. “Hi, Mom.”
“Drink?”
Summer nods. “Im fine. We went to the fair.” Indigo goes to the kitchen. “I know… A few… I guess… Of course… He told me… No… Because she doesnt want to…Ive tried.” Indigo comes out of the kitchen with the drinks, puts them on the table and sits on the couch. “No… Of course not… No… Mom, no… Fine, hang on.” Summer holds the phone out to Indigo. “She wants to talk to you. Sorry.”
Indigo takes the phone as Summer sits next to her. “Hello?... She has, but right now Im not interested… Its her past and Im more interested in the now and the could be than the what was. Besides, its got to be painful… Yeah, it scared the hell out of me… Thats up to Summer. I wont push… I do but like I said, its her choice.” Indigo looks at Summer and smiles. “Thank you but I think its the other way round… Maybe… Yes. See you soon.”
Indigo hands the phone back to Summer, who immediately put it back to her ear. “What did you say to her?... My God! Mother, why?... Oh dont even… Its called boundaries… Im hanging up now… Sometimes I question that… Oh, Im kidding. Love you. Bye” Summer hangs up and puts her phone back in her pocket. “Im so sorry about her”
“Dont be. She just wants whats best for you.”
Summer puts her head in her hands. “But shes so intrusive and embarrassing.”
“Shes always been like that.”
Summer lifts her head. “True. How did you know it was her?”
“Youve had that ringtone for her since I met you, and she ways seems to know when were making out.”
Summer laughs. “Like when she walked in on you doing a striptease for me?”
“Yeah. She always seemed to catch us when I was barely dressed.”
“Always had the best timing and the worst at the same time.”
“Best timing?”
“Well, yeah. She never caught you naked. Sometimes I think she did it on purpose.”
Indigo gives Summer a disgusted look. “God. Eww. Why would you think that?”
“No, not like that. Thats creepy.”
“Then how”
“When she did it, your reactions were so funny. It was cute, but what made it the worst timing was youd never finish what we started.”
“I know, but that was then. Now, I dont leave anything unfinished.” Indigo kisses Summer and pushes her back so they are laid on the couch. Summer freezes as Indigo puts her weight on her. Indigo sits up quickly. “Hey, are you ok?” Summer doesnt move and is staring at nothing. “Sums?” Summer still doesnt respond. Indigo gently shakes Summers shoulders. “Summer, come back to me. Please.”
Summer blinks rapidly and looks around quickly. When her gaze meets Indigos, she sits up. “Indi, whats wrong?”
“You froze.”
“Froze?”
“Yeah. It was like you werent there.”
“F**k. Indi, Im sorry if I freaked you out.”
“Hey, no. I mean, yeah I was freaked out, but dont apologize. Just tell me what that was.”
“I zone out if something triggers my memories. I cant control it. This is something I wanted to tell you about.”
“What triggers your memory?”
“Nothing. Everything. Anything. I dont know.”
“Ok. Lets figure out what it was this time and move on.”
“How are you this calm?”
“Because youre ok and we can figure this out together.”
“Youre totally freaked out right now, arent you?”
“Little bit. I think its more shock from seeing you like that.”
“How are we going to figure this out?”
“Whats the last thing you remember before zoning out?”
Summer drinks some of her drink. “Looking down your shirt.”
“Really?” Summer nods. “When we were laid down?”
“No. We were kissing, you started to lean into me and I looked.”
“What did you see?” Summer looks at Indigo with a smirk. “My b***s zoned you out?”
“No. If they did, last night would not have happened.”
Indigo laughs. “Fair enough. So, chest area different from last night. Think, Indigo.”
Indigo grabs her drink and starts thinking. “Youre hot when youre thinking.”
“Suck up much?”
“Depends if its working.”
Indigo edges towards Summer. “Its working.”
“Good.”
Summer kisses Indigo. “Youre distracting me.”
“Im helping.”
Summer starts to kiss Indigos neck. Really not. Oh, mind my necklace.” Indigo pushes Summer away. “My necklace.”
“I wasnt anywhere near it.”
“I wasnt wearing it last night.”
“I did help. Can I see it?”
Indigo pulls her necklace out of her shirt and holds it. “Will it happen again if it was this?”
“I dont know but we can find out.” Indigo nods and lets go of the necklace. Summer leans in to look at it and the heart pendant hanging from it. “Where did you get this?”
“Ric gave it to me.”
“When?”
“A day or so after I got the news about my internship. Why?” Summer stands up and rubs her forehead and temples. “What is it?”
“Headache. I should get back to my mom. She has my meds.”
“Ive got painkillers if you need them.”
“Thanks but I should go. Ive already ruined today. Im not making it worse for you.”
“You havent ruined anything.”
“Indi, its ok. I told you, I dont want your pity.”
“And I told you thats not what youre getting.”
“Here.” Summer pulls a photo from the fair out of her back pocket and hands it to Indigo. “For your memory box.”
Indigo takes the photo. “Dont.”
“Dont what?”
“Youre making this sound like goodbye and I wont accept that.”
“I need to process, thats all. Not goodbye.”
“Promise?”
Summer kisses Indigo. “Promise. I still need to take you on a proper date.” Indigo smiles. Summer picks up the small stuffed toy. “Do you mind if I take this?”
“Of course not.”
“Thanks. Can I call you later?”
“You better.” Summer leaves. “She better.”


© 2016 Jemma Packman


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

181 Views
Added on June 15, 2016
Last Updated on June 15, 2016

Finding Summer


Author

Jemma Packman
Jemma Packman

Hull, East Yorkshire, United Kingdom



Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Jemma Packman


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Jemma Packman