Chapter 41

Chapter 41

A Chapter by Jemma Packman

Indigo, Summer and Ethan in the living room. Ethan is on Indigos lap with his head resting on her shoulder. Summer says “You ok with him?”
Indigo says “Yeah. I think hes asleep.”
Summer looks. “He is. Thats a first.”
“What?”
“Ive never seen him fall asleep on anyone but me or mom.”
“Does that means he likes me?”
“I guess so.” Ethan mumbles. “What was that, buddy?”
Ethan says “Indigo is going to be my mommy too.”
Indigo says “Am I?”
Ethan, still with his eyes closed, nods. “Grams showed me pictures and said you were together but something bad happened that made Mommy leave. She said I shouldnt be sad about the bad thing because something good came from it.”
Summer says “Ok, time for bed. Come on, Ethan.”
Ethan snores. Indigo says “Ill carry him. Show me where?” Summer nods and stands up. Indigo stands, holding Ethan. Summer leads Indigo to Ethans bedroom. Indigo puts Ethan on his bed. “Now what?”
Summer steps towards the bed, covers Ethan with his duvet and kisses his head. “Goodnight, son. Love you.”
Ethan mumbles. “Love you, Mommy.”
Summer and Indigo leave the room. Summer closes the door, takes Indigos hand and leads her into the room opposite Ethans. She sits on the bed and Indigo sits next to her. Indigo says “So, Ethans…”
Summer says “The something good. Took me a while to see that. I couldnt even look at him for a long time after he was born.”
“Did he look like the guy?”
“I dont know. I couldnt see any of me in him then. I mean, I can now, but then, nothing.”
“Hes a little you. Hes smart, adorable and charming. Hes going to be a heartbreaker.”
“You got a crush on my son? Indigo Wyatt, hes six and a half years old.”
Indigo laughs. “No. I can see your qualities in him, thats all. And your smile.”
“Not my eyes. I used to look at him and freak out.”
“Like you did with my necklace?”
“More like the handcuffs.”
“Wow.”
“I found a way to deal. A stupid way.”
“We dont have to talk about this.”
“I do. I want to. I need to. You need me to.”
“No, I dont. Why would even think that?”
Summer lowers her head. “Because my past could ruin your future.”
“Why do you keep saying that?”
“Youre a lawyer and Im… I was…”
Indigo gently lifts Summers chin. “Look at me. Whatever it is, it doesnt matter.”
“I was… I…”
Summer starts to cry. Indigo wipes Summers tears away with her thumb. “Sums, please dont cry. I dont need you to tell me.”
Indigo hugs Summer. “Im sorry.”
“Dont be. If you cant tell me, I get it.”
“I was a drug addict and I was on the verge of becoming a prostitute when I was arrested. Thats whats in my sealed files.” Indigo starts to pull away. “Please dont move until Ive finished.” Indigo nods and holds Summer tighter. “After Ethan was born and I started to have the attacks, I ran away. I was alone, I was trying to survive and I thought Id found a friend. Turns out she just needed someone as a get out clause. I was to be her replacement. She introduced me to drugs but I got myself addicted. I liked the escape. I got arrested because my “test-run” was a cop. My “friend” cut a deal, told the cops everything. Mom was called and I spent around a year bouncing between the pysch ward and rehab.” Summer quickly pull away from Indigo and stands facing the wall. “I know I said that really fast and it may not have made much sense but I needed you to know.” Indigo stands up and walks towards Summer. “Ill understand if you never want to hear from me again.” Indigo turns Summer around and kisses her. Summer pulls away. “Arent you disgusted by me?”
“No. Im angry. Not at you. Im angry that someone took advantage of you. Im angry that you felt you needed an escape, and Im angry that I wasnt there to help you through any of it.”
“You were always with me but…”
“What?”
“Thats why I needed to escape.” Indigo steps back. “Oh, no. Not in a bad way. Well, it was but not. Its not about you, it was because of you. No, wait. Thats wrong.”
“Should I leave so you can argue with yourself?”
“Do you want to leave?”
“Not when youre like this.”
“Like what?”
“Youre babbling.”
“I have a memory of you being threatened.”
“Excuse me?”
“Im not sure when, who or why, but that memory stuck with me. I was not going to be responsible for getting you hurt, but I wanted to see you. Drugs made my thoughts stop. They always went back to you.”
“I know how drugs work, Summer. I want to know about the threat.”
“I only remember the words.”
“Which were what exactly?”
“Stay away from Indigo or youll never see her again.”
“That couldve been aimed at either of us.”
“Would youve risked finding out?”
“I guess not. So why now?”
“Whoever it was said I should stay away, not Rosie. I just hope I havent put you in danger.”
“I can take care of us.”
“Us?”
“Yes. I should have been with you then. I could have protected you. I could have stopped it.”
“Or you could have been hurt and I wouldnt have Ethan. Besides, I told you not to come get me.”
“Why was that?”
“I was getting you a gift. I still have it. Well, half of it.”
“Half of it?”
Summer walks to her desk. “Yeah. You have the other half.”
“I do?”
Summer opens a drawer, takes out a small box and passes it to Indigo. “Its around your neck.”
Indigo opens the box and pulls out a necklace identical to hers, with the exception that it has Summer engraved on it. “This has your name on it.”
“I know but its yours.”
“I dont understand.”
“Its my heart. I was going to give it to you.”
“Ok. But why one with my name on?”
“Please remember how old I was while I tell you this.” Indigo nods. “I kinda saw them as promise rings. I was going to give you them both and let you decide what to do with them.”
“Why?”
“I cant tell you what to do with your heart, and you having it makes me happy but freaks me out at the same time. I had them both before I was attacked but only mine when I came round.”
Indigo plays with her necklace. “They took this from you?”
Summer shrugs. “At least its with her rightful owner now.”
“No, not yet.” Indigo takes off her necklace, walks to Summer and puts the necklace on her. “Now it is.”
“You sure?”
“My heart has always belonged to you, so yeah.” Summer kisses Indigo and walks her towards the bed. Summer stops. “Why are you stopping?”
“Are we rushing things?”
“Do you think we are?”
“You dont?”
“If wed just met then yes, but we havent. This is making up for lost time.”
“Really?”
“Yes. Obviously you dont agree.”
“Its not that.”
“What is it?”
“Im sorry. I guess Im overthinking things.”
“Look, if youre worried that your past will affect us now, then stop. I wont let it. We wont let it.”
“Are we a we?”
“That is up to you. That is something I dont want to rush. Im happy spending time with you.”
“And the hooking up?”
“Amazing bonus. We done talking?” Summer nods. “Good.”
Indigo kisses Summer and sits on the bed, pulling Summer with her. Sabrina walks in the room and says “Summer, Im back. Is Indigo still here?” Summer and Indigo jump. Sabrina chuckles. “Never mind, my eyes work. Some things never change. Ill leave you two alone. Goodnight, girls.”
Summer says “Goodnight, Mom.”
Indigo says “Night.”
Sabrina smiles and leaves the room. “Thats what we get for taking about her timing.”
“Im going to get going.”
Indigo gets off the bed. “You dont have to.”
“You want me to stay?” Summer nods. “You decided if youre coming to my parents tomorrow?”
“Will my answer change your answer?”
“No.”
“I hadnt thought about it.”
Indigo leans down and kisses Summer. “Then Ill give you time and space to think about it.”
Indigo stands up and steps back. “If I say yes will you stay?”
“No. I want to but, until youre sure about us, I wont.”
“Is this because Mom caught us?”
“Little bit.”
Summer walks to Indigo. “Wondering how wed explain it if Ethan walked in?”
“Get out of my head.”
“Get in my bed?”
Indigo kisses Summer. “No. Come to my parents and Ill take you to mine.”
“I dont know, but that is a very tempting offer.”
Indigo kisses Summer. “Think about it. You know the time and place.”
Indigo walks to the door. As she opens it, Summer speaks again. “Will it be the whole family?”
“One way to find out.”
Indigo leaves.


© 2016 Jemma Packman


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

It's your pesky little reviewer - your dialogue moves fast - some said tags would be nice.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jemma Packman

7 Years Ago

I either put in too many or not enough. I'm struggling to find a balance. I'll look at how to break .. read more
Candace Cloud

7 Years Ago

no - i just have to reread it a few times and remember who said what last. but, i am picking up what.. read more
Jemma Packman

7 Years Ago

As long as you can follow the story and enjoy it, I'm happy. :-) for now.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

196 Views
1 Review
Added on June 15, 2016
Last Updated on June 15, 2016

Finding Summer


Author

Jemma Packman
Jemma Packman

Hull, East Yorkshire, United Kingdom



Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Jemma Packman


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Jemma Packman