Chapter 52

Chapter 52

A Chapter by Jemma Packman

Indigo sat in her apartment. Lexi rushes in and says “What’s wrong?”
Indigo says “Nothing’s wrong. I just need to talk.”
Lexi closes the door and sits down. “Then something’s wrong because the last time you rang me after 9pm to talk was when…”
“It’s not that.”
“Thank Christ.”
“you were worried?”
“Well, yeah. About you.”
Indigo laughs. “It’s ok if you were.”
“Don’t tell her. I’ll never hear the end of it. So what’s going on?”
“Do you know why Summer zones out sometimes?”
“I do, but I can’t tell you. She’s a patient.”
“Since when?”
“About seven hours ago. She was transferred to me.”
“You allowed to be her doctor?”
“Yes, Indigo, I am.”
Indigo’s phone rings. She answers it. “Hey, I thought you would be at work?... I’m fine... Yes. Why?... Did she now?... She’s with me now actually… My place... You don’t have to… Of course I do… Ok. See you soon… I will. Bye.” Indigo puts her phone down. “You called Summer?”
“Yes. I panicked, ok? I saw her today and then you rang me wanting to talk. I tried to call her but it went to voicemail so I freaked.”
“Well she’s on her way over and you can tell her you overreacted.”
“You haven’t told her, have you?”
“Not yet.”
“Are you going to?”
“When I’m ready. Anyway, I need you to do something for me.”
“What?”
“Ask Ric where he got my necklace from.”
“Why?”
“I need to know.”
“You ask him. This is what you wanted to talk to me about? Your necklace? I got all worked up over a necklace?”
“You jumped to conclusions. Don’t get pissed at me. Besides, it’s to help Summer’s case.”
“How?”
“Because she had it on her when it happened, so I need to know where Ric got it from.”
“Are you sure it’s the same one?”
“I’m sure. Will you do it? Please?”
“Sure but why can’t you do it?”
“Well, if he asks to see it, I can’t show him.”
“Why?”
“I gave it to Summer and she gave me hers. Promise necklaces.”
“Promise necklaces?”
Indigo nods and Lexi laughs. There’s a knock on the door. “Shut up. Don’t mention this to anyone?” Lexi nods. Indigo goes and opens the door. Summer is stood there. “Hey, Sums. I’m ok, see?”
Summer looks Indigo up and down, pulls her into a hug and says “You’re more than ok, but is everything alright?”
“Better now you’re here.”
Indigo kisses Summer. Lexi stands up and says “Ok, I’ll be going then. See you kids later.”
Summer steps back and says “Hang on, Lexi. You’ve got some explaining to do.”
“Me?”
“Yes, you. You scared the s**t out of me with that voicemail.”
“Why?”
“You know why.”
“I’m sorry, Summer. It freaked me out Indigo calling after what you told me and when you didn’t answer I was… I was…”
“Worried?”
Lexi crosses her arms across her chest. “Pissed.”
Summer kisses Lexi’s cheek. “I’m sorry I made you worry, Doc, but it’s good to know you care, Lex.”
“Well, it’s my job so don’t get any ideas.”
“I always have ideas.”
Lexi hits Summer’s arm. “You’re an idiot. Goodbye, Indigo. I’ll look into that thing for you.”
Indigo says “Thank you. See you Sunday.”
Lexi leaves. Summer says “What thing?”
“Don’t worry about it.” Indigo kisses Summer. “So, you ditched work to check on me?”
“Yeah. Are you sure you’re ok?”
“I’m fine.”
Summer leads Indigo to the couch, sits down and pulls Indigo into her lap. “Something’s bothering you.”
“It’s nothing.”
“Then tell me.”
“My boss took your case off me. Said I was too close and it would make me look at you differently.”
“Your boss is right.”
“How can you say that?”
“Indi, I was in a bad way and I remember the way mom looked at me. Like I was broken. I couldn’t take it if you looked at me like that.”
“I read the medical reports.”
“The pictures are worse. Believe me. Let me speak to your boss. If you don’t see the pictures, maybe, I can talk them into letting you have it back.”
“She said I could help investigate but you’d do that for me?”
“If it made you happy I would. I know this means a lot to you, I just don’t understand why.”
“Someone hurt you and I want to know why.”
“There’s another reason, isn’t there?” Indigo lowers her head. Summer pulls Indigo closer against her. “When you’re ready, you’ll tell me.”
Indigo cuddles into Summer. “Thank you.”
“No need to thank me. I made you wait seven years, I can wait as long as you need me to.”
Summer kisses the top of Indigo’s head. “Sums?”
“Yeah?”
“Remember what you said about how your feelings never changed?”
“Yeah?”
“Did you mean it?”
“At the time.”
Indigo lifts her head. “What do you mean ‘At the time’?”
“Exactly what I said. On Friday, my feelings for you wer the same as they were seven years ago.”
“And four days later they’ve changed?”
“Yes.”
“I see.” Indigo stands up. “I’m sorry Lexi interrupted your evening.”
“Indi?”
“Thanks for coming, Summer.”
Lexi walks towards the stair. “Where are you going?”
“I’m tired. I’m going to bed. Goodnight, Summer.”
Summer rushes to Indigo and grabs her hand. “Indigo, hang on. You don’t get it.”
“I do. I was stupid to think we would fall back together that easily.”
“No you weren’t. Will you let me explain?”
“There’s nothing to explain. I should have known by the way you push me away when I try to touch you.”
“S**t. Indigo, that’s not because of you.”
“Please don’t give me the ‘it’s not you it’s me’ speech. Just go.”
“No. At least not until you listen to me.”
“I can’t talk to you right now.”
“Then listen to me because I’m not losing you over this.” Indigo turns towards Summer but keeps her head down. “Are you going to look at me?” Indigo shakes her head. “Ok. Since what happened I haven’t let anyone touch me. If they do, I freak out and I don’t want to do that to you. When I’m with you I want to be all there. Not a useless shell because you don’t deserve that. When I said my feelings had changes it was because they have, but not in a bad way. They’ve gotten stronger.” Summer gently lifts Indigo’s chin. “Please look at me? I need you to see I mean this.” Indigo looks into Summer’s eyes. “Indigo, I love you. Always have, always will. Please don’t think I don’t want you. I do, so much it hurts. Not as much as it hurts to see you cry, especially over me.” Summer wipes Indigo’s tears away with her thumb. “I’m not asking for anything from you except forgiveness for my stupid actions. I’ll leave you in peace.”
Summer kisses Indigo’s forehead and walks to the door. “Sumer? Did you mean that?”
“Every word.”
“Then kiss me like you mean it.”
Summer walks back to Indigo and kisses her. “This mean you forgive me?”
“Do you forgive me?”
“Nothing to forgive.” Indigo takes Summer’s hand and starts to walk upstairs. “Thought you were tired?”
“I am. That’s why I’m taking you to bed.”
Indigo and Summer go upstairs.


© 2016 Jemma Packman


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

143 Views
Added on July 2, 2016
Last Updated on July 2, 2016

Finding Summer


Author

Jemma Packman
Jemma Packman

Hull, East Yorkshire, United Kingdom



Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Jemma Packman


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Jemma Packman