The Handkercheif

The Handkercheif

A Story by Jessica Samuelsen
"

There comes a time when we hope our accessories will detract from some of our more formidable flaws.

"
         I peered into my closet. I scanned the contents till my eyes rested on a custom made three piece suit.  My stature tended to strike great intimidation.  I was hoping the suit would aid in diverting from that.  I put the suit on and looked in the  mirror and realized it needed something more.  I looked around my room and saw on my dresser that a soft silky handkerchief sat upon it.  It seemed to be just the answer I needed for a calming affect on those I might encounter. 
         Fully dressed and adorned with the confidence of my handkerchief I step outside to hail a cab. It's wheels screech as it came to an abrupt halt in front of me.  I slid into the back seat with ease.  I took in the smells of the musty cab cursing my sensitive smell.  The driver turned to ask me my destination but started to choke on the cigarette in his mouth.  His eyes became wide and his mouth opened in shock dispersing the smoke.  I cleared my throat to speak to in hopes of  bringing him to ease.  I could not speak fast enough for he bolted full speed from the cab.
        I sighed.... No matter how friendly your handkerchief is, it can't detract from the fact your a a great white shark. 

Find more at WritingPearls.com

© 2011 Jessica Samuelsen


Author's Note

Jessica Samuelsen
This comes from a flash fiction exercise I did at a writers workshop. They had slips of paper separated into character, place and thing. Mine was great white shark, back of a cab, and handkerchief. I was quite baffled at first but I think they got spun into a funny little tale.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I enjoyed reading it (:
I like the flow of it and your choice of words.
Nice ending. (:

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is terrific! Excellent use of what you were made to work with! Very clever and entertaining. Well done!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Very creative! I really enjoyed reading it. Good flow and a great last line.

Posted 13 Years Ago


You did a lot with that slip of paper. Description was very good, the pace didn't seem hurried as it does sometimes in flash fiction and the ending was swperb. Great job.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

haha fun. liked it a lot.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I loved this! It's so refreshing to be caught by surprise at the end of a story!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

i like it its very interesting :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

522 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 2, 2011
Last Updated on February 13, 2011
Tags: flaws, suits, sharks, taxi, handkercheif, short story, comical

Author

Jessica Samuelsen
Jessica Samuelsen

Portland, OR



About
I like long walks on the beach with my husband. I like curling on the couch with a good book. I like writing the wrongs of the world in my art of words. Supporting those who would seek to do the s.. more..

Writing