Kharon

Kharon

A Story by J.S. Kloss

It seemed as though the whole village was gathered on the banks of the island to watch the display. Most were clumped together; some waiting eagerly for the small boat to be released into the river’s current. Others tearful, their hands grasping onto bodies next to them for support. Even further back, before the stone and grass turned into the sandy beach, Ezekiel could see silhouettes in every window.

Despite the vast number of people and the roar of the river, Ezekiel could hear the ropes sliding against themselves as the knights made the knots secure, and the soft whimpers and pleas of the ones being tied. None of the citizens on the beach dared to say a word.

Still Ezekiel knew that not every inhabitant of Kharon was here. The only one he wanted to see wasn’t, but she couldn’t be. She had more important obligations, as her meeting with an oracle was under way, and Ezekiel couldn’t help but be antsy while he waited for her to return with news.

The knights were finished tying the hands and feet of the three people seated in the wooden boat. Citizens stepped forward, beginning to wade into the water with their hands clasped firmly on the edges of the boat. The water lapped up until it reached the men’s torsos, and just then they let the small vessel go. The three bound inside now a victim to the water’s will.

The knights readied themselves by pulling their bows from behind their backs. Simultaneously, they dipped the arrows into the fire pit in front of them and took their stances while knocking the arrows. A powerful voice called out, reminding and warning of what’s to come. The criminals rocking in the boat started to squirm; the danger of the moment forcing them to fight one last time to save their lives.

Ezekiel felt a smaller palm press against his. His sister, whom had just a couple years less than his nineteen, looked up at him with her wide, blue eyes.

“It gives me chills,” Aurelia remarked with coldness seeping into her tone. Ezekiel shook his head slowly, telling her to be quiet.

The voice yelled again, starting the countdown for the knights with their burning arrows. Ezekiel wrapped his arm around his sister, and leaned his dark head on top of her pale one. “Don’t be foolish,” he whispered to her. “The punishment is necessary.” She didn’t answer, only continued to stare forward at the scene unfolding.

Ezekiel heard the voice call out one last time. The twitch of a few fingers in unison, and suddenly the fire arrows where fast-moving blots against the bright sky. Ezekiel relished in the beauty of the drops of flying fire that were drawing every single person’s eyes to them. Each arrow connected with its mark. The boat was quickly lit by the hay that covered the bottom, and the flames were growing rapidly as the wood and the people inside caught as well.

It didn’t take long for the screams to reach the onlookers waiting on the beach. Ezekiel closed his eyes and felt as though he was surrounded by the sound, as though the burning people were standing right before him. Water is surprisingly good at carrying noise.

Aurelia glanced about subtilely, observing the crowd to see when they would begin to disperse. Ezekiel was itching to leave as well, but no one had strayed from the shore yet. Their stances were rigid; their gazes frozen on the fire spot that was steadily getting smaller and smaller. The distant cries were ebbing, fading out and dwindling as the criminals lost their ability to yell.

Ezekiel didn't want to be the first to go, they would notice, but it wouldn't be long before a sharp breeze carried over the scent of burning flesh, and he desperately didn't want to be there when it did.

He tried--unsuccessfully--to chase back thoughts of standing on this very beach holding his mother. Aurelia stood near by, shock consuming her as she tried to make sense of what was occurring. Their mother's entire being was shaking with sobs, and Ezekiel knew he had to get his family home. But he couldn't coax his mother into leaving his father behind and they stayed too long. He wretched on the sand as his nostrils filled with the putrid scent brought over by the wind. He dropped to his knees and clutched at his stomach as he gagged on the smell of his father burning alive.

"Don't think about it," Aurelia muttered, and he felt unnerved that she could so easily tell where his mind was. Not because he didn't want her to be able to read him, but because he feared everyone else could tell what he was thinking too.

"Look," she said, drawing his attention back to the river. "Could that work?"

Ezekiel spotted one man trying to jump out of the boat and swim away. "No,” he answered. “He would never last in the Ancient's Forest."

The Ancient's Forest covered both sides of the river, and no one had ever lived through a night among the trees of the Forest.

"Perhaps he's a necromancer," Aurelia offered, sounding completely reasonable, but he knew she was being silly. There were stories about necromancers and their ability to reside in The Forest, but they were far from the truth.

"Perhaps he'll swim to the ocean and ride a whale to the next land." The joke fell flat in the grim setting.

"Anything's possible." She remarked.

But anything wasn't possible. Once past The Forest, the river eventually opened into the ocean, where the people would starve or drown if they survived the fire. If they managed to survive long enough to spot a ship in the ocean’s water, none would stop for them. All captains knew better than to take criminals onto their deck.

There was no escape from this punishment.

Ezekiel held his sister tightly and even though he would never admit it, a shudder ran throughout his entire body.

© 2015 J.S. Kloss


Author's Note

J.S. Kloss
This is actually the beginning of a story idea that I came up with, but haven't gotten much farther with. I really like this piece regardless! Please read and tell me what you think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is really good. The introduction is always the hardest part to write i think, since you have to catch the writers attention and make them think "What the?!" Really great, hope to hear more!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

J.S. Kloss

9 Years Ago

Thank you!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

276 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on April 16, 2015
Last Updated on April 16, 2015
Tags: forest, story, short story, dystopian, third person

Author

J.S. Kloss
J.S. Kloss

Tempe, AZ



About
Hi! I’m Jess and I’m from an adorable town called Saugerties that is in upstate New York. I’m currently attending Arizona State University where I’m undergoing a change in majo.. more..

Writing
Coalesce Coalesce

A Poem by J.S. Kloss