Billy

Billy

A Story by jtbrazil

 billy

 He looked as he always had, lying there. I was a boy then but the memories are as strong today as they were then.

 He was lying next to the love of his life, my grandmother. I can still hear her mournful, heart wrenching, cries, as heart breaking today as they were when she first rolled over to greet him as she had for the past forty years only to realize that her lover and friend had passed during the night.

 Their love had been the stuff you only hear of in stories. After High-School they had a fight, she would say their only fight, He left for college thinking they were over, but she never left his mind. She had tried to move on as well, But All she could think about was the one that left the one she loved, her Billy.

 She later found out that she was pregnant; there was no doubt in her mind as to who the father was, for even though they had separated she had remained true to her love, her Billy. If you were to ask her why she stayed true, she would simply give a shy smile and say she knew they would be back together one day. In truth she could not bear another lovers warm embrace, for she had already met her love, her Billy.

 I woke up suddenly and ran toward my grandmother’s room, as I had done so many times before, but this time was different this time I ran towards screams. As I rounded the corner and came to the end of the hallway, that led to her room. I could see her, she had stopped crying. She was sitting at the end of the bed as I ran up to her to ask her what was wrong.

I can still remember the silence that filled the room; she spoke not a word as I rounded the bed. The look in her eyes said it all, it was the look you only see in the hopeless, the look of someone who had just lost everything hat ever mattered in her life. Not even life itself seemed to give her any joy for a while after his death. As I rounded the bed to ask my grandpa what was wrong with grandma I saw that he had a smile upon his face the same smile that he always seemed to have.

 Then she spoke she told me to call 911, I headed toward the phone and as I did I saw my grandmother crawl across the bed and snuggle next to my grandfather.

 I picked up the phone and dialed 911 and when the operated answer I remember telling her

 “I think my grandmothers gone crazy”

After the ambulance came to take my grandpa away someone finally told me that he had died during the night from a heart attack. I was six then so I understood what that meant but the reality didn’t hit me until later that my grandfather was dead. When my mom and dad arrived later the first thing they did was to come and make sure I was ok. I told them that I was ok but that they should go and check on grandma.

Everyone around me was telling me that it ok if I wanted to cry no one would think worse of me for it. But a memory kept coming to me it was a thing that my grandpa said a week before he died.

He told me “Jim, if anything happens to me you have to stay strong for your grandmother”

“Ok grandpa”

“Promise me Jim stay strong”

“I promise, can we watch TV now”

“Yea Jim, we can watch TV now”

I wanted to break down and cry so many times throughout the coming weeks. But I made a promise to my grandpa so I didn’t; I stayed with my grandma day in and day out. I stayed strong for her. The only answer that I can think of if you ask me why I stayed strong is if theier is a afterlife and if the afterlife is Christianity’s version then I must belief that he is up there somewhere looking down on me and hopefully he saw that I kept the promise.

 

              “I hope I did you proud grandpa I kept my promise”         

© 2010 jtbrazil


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very touching and sensitive story of real life and what real life entails. I also like to write about what I know best and that's my real life. I plan on reading more of your work.

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is really good. there are some grammar mistakes..but overall I like it

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

209 Views
2 Reviews
Added on September 13, 2010
Last Updated on September 13, 2010

Author

jtbrazil
jtbrazil

Oxford, MS



About
I am currently A freshman at the University of Mississippi majoring in English and latin. I hope to become a highscool or college english teacher/professor or an editor and be able to make others drea.. more..

Writing
Twinkie Twinkie

A Story by jtbrazil


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by jtbrazil


prolugue prolugue

A Chapter by jtbrazil