A trip to Infamy

A trip to Infamy

A Story by Judy McIntosh
"

a flash fiction

"
Mary Anne was up before dawn to finish her packing. She was on her way to New York to work as a nanny for her aunt. Her uncle had just died and Aunt Nancy needed her help to watch the children for a few months. Mary Anne would take the children to school and outings so her aunt could adjust to her new life as a widow.

She gave one last look around her room, to be sure that she had packed everything 
The black cab honked outside and she made her way to the kitchen to say bye to her mum. 
Her mother was excited for her daughter and gave her a package for her to bring for her grieving sister. It was a note of sympathy and a tea towel from the High Street. 
Mother and daughter hugged one last time and smiled through the tears.
'I will write as soon as I arrive in New York, love you Mum,"  Mary Anne called over her shoulder as she ran out, excited to start her adventure.
"Southhampton Docks, she told the cab driver, settling into the seat and waving good bye to her mum in the doorway.
As they drove towards the docks, the early morning air was cool on her face. She hugged herself and could hardly believe this fantastic adventure was underway.
There were  so many people on the docks, saying their goodbyes and getting their luggage stowed on board. Mary Anne could see a group of men making their way on board, their brass instruments reflecting  the sun
She paid the taxi, then became part of this excited throng of people, each one ready for their own adventure.
She picked up her bags, held her head high and made her way through the noisy crowd.
As the sun slipped behind the clouds, she saw the name of the ship and whispered to herself.... Titanic.

© 2014 Judy McIntosh


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nice one! I guessed it while I was reading the last line. It brings home the personal side of the tragedy. Every one of those passengers (and crew) had a story.

My father's uncle was the Chief Boilermaker on the Titanic. He left behind a wife and two children. I wonder how excited he must have been to get such a prestigious job. The story of the crew is often forgotten. They fought like hell to keep that ship afloat for as long as they could knowing that they were going to die.



Posted 9 Years Ago


Judy McIntosh

9 Years Ago

Thanks for the review Craig. That's true, you never hear about the crew and their experience in this.. read more
very good short story. nice build up and unexpected ending and that's what makes it doubly good.
enjoyed the read.


Posted 9 Years Ago


Oh boy, I got a serious chill up my spine reading that last line...

Posted 9 Years Ago


Judy,

We writers are a tricky lot, but I wasn't expecting to hear the name of that particular ghost... "Titanic!" How could I? This is a nice piece of writing. You set things up so well! Good work!

I can be tricky too... you might see my poem, "Slow Waltz," the end is almost as interesting as yours, and hopefully as thought provoking. Cheers!

Posted 9 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

81 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 8, 2014
Last Updated on July 8, 2014

Author

Judy McIntosh
Judy McIntosh

Lake Duluti, Tanzania



About
I am a Canadian living in Tanzania for 23 years. I love to travel, sail and I make beaded beach jewelery.(etsy, zanzigirl more..

Writing
leap leap

A Poem by Judy McIntosh