ROMANCE OF SUMMER LOVE--for contest.

ROMANCE OF SUMMER LOVE--for contest.

A Story by Julie Grenness
"

Summer loving, first romance.

"

SUMMER LOVE.


     That summer love was their first love. Upon reflection, Deidre Barnet considered now that it had been true love. Their first glance, at a summer party, had her love-bound.

 

       Deidre, a grey haired senior matron, was a resident in a retirement village home unit. Deidre paused her reading of her book. She sat alone, a widow, her family of three adult children not too far away. They were all so busy with their daily lives, and their growing families.


         Deidre was a great reader, a reticent introvert, who met most of her friends in books. "Yes, it was true love," Deidre mused. The party had been to celebrate the end of secondary school forever. The evening was so hot, middle of a heat wave. Deidre had worn a new lemon frock, her long honey blond hair had been offset by her suntan and glowing smile. Way back when, Deidre recalled, she had possessed a waistline, frocked up well, and had looked good in everything.


         Time on the nearby clock ticked by. Deidre sipped her coffee, a reminiscing glimmer in her eyes, as she summoned up their first dance, the instant attraction, his hands in hers, then cradling her face. Their first kiss, "You okay?" he'd muttered. Deidre had  merely nodded.


         Her summer lover was of medium height, strong muscly arms, brown curly hair, a cheeky smile that lit up his face, whenever they embraced. Despite her parents' objections, Deidre and her beau dated all summer long. Every evening concluded with an ever increasing passion. Entwining, the stars glittered in the heavens above. Their fire of summer love burnt from within.


         The summer loving young couple stood nightly below her porch light at her home, lingering cuddles and kisses. Promising forever, they whispered endearments. Their endless phone chats annoyed her parents, Deidre's sisters had wanted the phone. Uncaring, Deidre would sit at the phone for hours. "Say it," he would say "No, can't.."

"Well, wait, I'll pick you up at 7:30. You okay?"
"Great," Deidre would reply, smiling to herself, hugging her secrets.


           But then, he missed his routine phone call, by now a ritual. Deidre waited and pondered, "Should she phone him?" Her parents would not approve. The days were now growing cooler. The Autumn leaves floated past her windows, blown by the bitter winds. Deidre had spotted him in town, his arms around another girl.



           Eventually, she had 'gotten over it', 'moved on', and lived the rest of her life. For her, summer love had been true love. The heavens above had blessed her for a short while. For Deidre, summer love flickered the fire within, first love, true love.

© 2015 Julie Grenness


Author's Note

Julie Grenness
Feedback welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
Added on June 27, 2015
Last Updated on June 27, 2015
Tags: Summer love, first love, true love.

Author

Julie Grenness
Julie Grenness

Bayswater, Melbourne., Victoria., Australia



About
Greetings, my name is Julie. I live in Victoria, Australia. I am a 61 yo widow, a mostly retired teacher and tutor. Currently, I tutor two ESL students in English, as well as Maths and Science. Scribb.. more..

Writing