Chapter 5

Chapter 5

A Chapter by Autumn Reign

The fifteen minute drive home felt like three hours of endless scenarios racing through my mind. Images of an empty apartment and a cigarette left slightly burning in the ash tray caused my heart to race but I quickly reassured myself that Owen never left problems unresolved. After what seemed to be a lifetime, my car was finally parked in the barely vacant parking lot and since I was too impatient to wait for the elevator, I relied on my legs to lead me rapidly up the stairs. A sigh of relief escaped me as I finally reached the fifth floor which contained the door leading to my fate.

Fear overcame me as I walked into a dark, cold apartment with only the light from the living room window to stop me from tripping over the shoe rack that Owen had always complained about. Thinking back to the pointless disputes that we had over small issues like that shoe rack made me realize how much he put me before himself and how much I put myself before him. Realizing this and so much more, I made my way through the apartment turning on every light on my way in hopes to find him asleep or even better, waiting for my return. But with every empty room, I lost hope, then somewhat regained it as I told myself repeatedly that he took a day shift at work and would be home shortly with flowers and a smile or possibly a letter.

I was right about one thing, there was a letter. It had my name beautifully hand written on the top but before I could build up the courage to read it I remembered a moment quite similar to this one. I was twenty four years old and the world was in the palm of my hands. While unfolding the lined Hilroy paper that was ripped directly down the middle, my fingers began to tremble much like the first time that I opened a letter from him, yet it was so different. These words were nothing like the first so I read them quickly and promptly taking no time to look back at the ten or so heartbreaking words. Within seconds, that half piece of paper turned into a hundred tiny pieces of paper resembling the millions of tiny pieces I had broken my own heart into.

The sound of the grandfather clock filled the apartment as I sat alone motioning my glass of Bailey's in a small circle accompanying the clock with the tune of the ice clinking against the glass. It was that moment that I realized there was nothing but time, time that consumed my every day until the one day when it is no longer there. Before my mind could venture further into the world of thought, the door handle began to turn and my ears recognized the heavy footsteps of a man cleaning the bottom of his boots before entering. My hand gripped the glass tighter as my head tilted upward revealing the man who stood before me. The million pieces of my heart accepted the man as I realized that this was how I would spend the rest of my time. After all, what's wrong with second best?



© 2008 Autumn Reign


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I agree with mat. "Happily ever after" is so cliche anymore. It's fun to dream of that as a child, but reality of it tends to hit hard as an adult when that's all you hear. And this story kind of strikes a chord with me. Although I've never cheated n my boyfriend and he hasn't cheated on me, sometimes I feel as if I am only second best to him.

Posted 15 Years Ago


WRITE MOREEEEEEEEEE..

Love youuu.
My ISP is a piece of crap.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Aaah! Now there is an ending!

I LOVE it. You continued on with a very realistic approach till the end which is sooo great. More often then not it starts out realistic then ends with a romantic reunion. Which really isn't true to the way life goes, more often then not it ends how you portrayed in this story.

It was really great read, if I was in more of a reviewing mood I'd give you a proper critic instead of going on about how much i liked it... But!

Keep it up! I like your writing style!

Posted 15 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

178 Views
3 Reviews
Added on November 22, 2008


Author

Autumn Reign
Autumn Reign

Canada



About
I haven't done anything on here in a very long time... I want to change that :) more..

Writing