A Dream Or Wish Chapter 2

A Dream Or Wish Chapter 2

A Story by Ice QueenJen
"

The ongoing saga of a woman who is stuck in the limbo of a coma after a tragic car accident. Not knowing if she will ever wake up, being moved to a care facility that resembles the town she dreamed of

"



2


It seemed like it took but a moment and I was at Grandma Rose's house. I knocked, and faintly heard someone saying, “come in”. So I walked into the living room, not a single object had been moved. Every item had a place, even the smallest of knickknacks. I heard some rattling coming from the kitchen, then someone speaking “ be with you in a moment dear!”


I found myself walking around admiring my Grandma's various collections. There was no rhyme or reason to the things she collected either. It was like a mish-mash of whatever caught her fancy at a yard sale or thrift store she would buy. I recall being with her one time and seeing something I liked, so she bought it for me.


That was the beginning of my being like her. Now I sat here on her settee, not couch but almost like one, just smaller. I started getting sleepy waiting so I laid my head on the pillow that oddly was marked with the bold words, “ A PILLOW”. Like you didn't know that was what it was! As I smiled, I began to doze off thinking ' why was I so sleepy, hadn't I just awoke?'


While I was dreaming I felt myself being shaken about, or maybe tumbling would be a better word. What I didn't realize was that I had been in a car accident. My car was careening down an embankment, and even though I was wearing a seat-belt, my body got banged up pretty good. So the Doctor had to induce my body into a temporary coma, this way I could heal easier. I was in a perpetual dreamlike state...but for how long?


I vaguely heard my mother talking to a man, he said “it could be days, weeks or even months before I woke up”.


I didn't understand why he was speaking to like that, I wasn't asleep. It was like I was in my body... yet at the same time out of my body. I turned my head when I heard my Grandma Rose walk in as the Doctor went out.


Well, what did he say? Did he give you an explanation for why she isn't waking up yet?” Grandma Rose implored.


My Mother shook her head while she quietly replied, “no not really, oh mom they don't know. He said it could be days or months; the car accident wasn't that bad, so why isn't she waking up?”


Grandma Rose consoled her daughter, my mother and held her close while tears ran down her rose colored cheeks. I willed my body to awake from this slumber I was virtually in, but somehow it wasn't working. So I laid there hearing my relatives talk to each other between sobs. I wanted to tell them that it's alright, and that at least I'm still alive ( or so it seems).


As I rested, my body began to travel back to the city in the forest, although I could not for the life of me remember the name. I tried to picture how I got there, and some of the nice people I'd met. Yet nothing came to my mind, as if a part of my mind was being blocked. A nice nurse came into the room to check on the machines, then a bell alarm sounded so she quickly left the room. Leaving me, mom and Grandma Rose all alone.


My Grandma Rose patted my mom's hand as she said “ rest now Eliza, I'll watch her.”


So my mom slumped back in the recliner as sleep overtook her weary body. My Grandma took out her notebook and began to write. I surely wished I could see what she was writing, but I couldn't move. Not only because I had wires hooked up to my arms, I literally couldn't move an inch of my body!


I soon panicked and thought ' what if I am paralyzed? Life in a bed was no way to live, so I vowed to myself that if I was unable to move, I would rather be dead.'


I felt my Grandma holding my hand then praying over my soul. I must have been moaning, so she had stopped her writing to stand next to my hospital bed in order to comfort me. My Grandma's presence was comforting to me, and I was thankful she was still alive. Funny how she was able to sense my stress, far more than my mom or dad ever could. Even when I was a young child, she could tell I was different. I'd recall her telling my parents once that I had ' the gift', whatever that meant.


My mother stirred, so Grandma turned saying “ shhh, Eliza everything is going to be fine.”


I sensed my mouth smiling, and I gradually let myself fall back into the darkness of my mind. People came in and out, day after day and I stayed in the darkness. Once I heard a strange voice, and curiosity got the best of me, so I moved out of the dark corner of my mind.


I heard him say in a French accent, “ Oui madam, I am how you say a specialist in coma patients.”


So that explains why I am just laying here, much like a zombie. Yet it doesn't really explain that fantastical dream I was in. I did my best to fully listen to what he was telling my mom, but I don't think she was understanding him either. Just then Grandma Rose came in greeting him like she had known him for years. After a few minutes of small talk, he tried to explain that yes I was indeed inside my body and still healing, but not quite ready to come out to the physical world. He said give it more time, and I will come back in my own due time! Also since all my vitals were normal, I could be moved to his private facility. Of course he knew the one room where I should be moved to, claiming it wasn't that far and an idyllic setting to let me heal, recuperate once I woke up fully, if at all.


In the meantime, we should read, play my favorite music or turn on television to the shows I liked. In essence, make things as normal as could be for me.


I wanted to scream at this Doctor that how could it be normal for me? I was locked in a kind of limbo �" not quite dead, but certainly not alive. So how could anything be normal?


My mother sat in the corner crying, and I wished I could say to her I'll be alright. Yet I couldn't move, I just laid there staring off into space. Yet were my eyes even open, how was I to know? Life was very complicated for me, and only God knew if I would come out of this state of limbo I was in.


As I laid there, the hospital got me ready for transport to the place. While that was going on I heard my Grandma and mother talking about some guy, Simon.


I thought to myself, ' who are they talking about? I don't recall anyone named Simon.'


My mother spoke “ I wonder if he has heard about her accident? Do you think we should try and get in touch with him, or find out where he is Rose?”


Grandma Rose replied “ I have already left messages on what I believe is his email account, but haven't had any replies yet.


Mom said, “ yes, I see.”


Continuing Grandma exclaimed, “ well if he really cared for her, he would be with her no matter what!”


They were quiet for awhile and I began to rack my brain who they were talking about. I kept repeating the name 'Simon', over and over again. But for some reason I couldn't for the life of me remember. I soon tried to put this person out of my mind �" whoever he was. I closed my eyes, or at least that's what my brain was telling me I was doing even though they weren't open.


Another nurse came into check the machines I was hooked up to, then adjusted my blankets even though they hadn't been mussed. I assume it was more out of habit, than anything because most coma patients didn't ever move. A nurse would come and move me while changing the bed sheets, lest I developed bed sores. The nurse whispered to my mom and Grandma, and soon they left the room while she stayed. I think she was going to let them go home to rest and eat, while they were making the final preparations to move me to the long term care facility.


As I laid there the nurse clicked on the television, and began to watch the news. I still had no concept of time, since you could view the news anytime of the day I couldn't tell if it was day or night. I went back to trying think about how I got into this condition, and who this Simon person they spoke about was.


I heard the door open and someone walk in, quietly the nurse said briefly, “ she's fine Dr. Brown, are things going according to plan? I let her relatives go home to eat and rest before we move her.”


Dr. Brown replied, “ yes they are; but I still don't understand why she isn't waking up. Her injuries were not that severe, and I know she is still in there, but where only God knows. Maybe the place Mrs. Box is taking her to will be of some help, I've done all I can for her.”


Then he walked out, leaving the nurse to tend to me.

© 2015 Ice QueenJen


Author's Note

Ice QueenJen
Please let me know if you like or dislike this and any mistakes I have made. But more importantly enjoy reading what I have written... and when I get another chapter done I will post it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A interesting chapter. Made me wish to know and read more. I liked the beginning and the ending. Was a wide open door for the next chapter. I liked how you described places and people. Thank you Jen for sharing the excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

268 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 13, 2015
Last Updated on November 13, 2015

Author

Ice QueenJen
Ice QueenJen

Bakersfield, CA



About
Not only am I a woman, but a mother, friend, and hopefully the best person I could be. I have begun to broaden my horizons and get into writing poetry. But I also am an artist, and I am trying my ha.. more..

Writing
Gods? Gods?

A Poem by Ice QueenJen