How To Stop A Hangover

How To Stop A Hangover

A Story by Kelsey Desmond
"

Genie loves Lance. And he loves her back. But the obstacles that are in there way could be deadly. Only for mature, adult viewers. Or so I would say...

"

Genie came down to the station with a beer in hand and more in the back of her truck. She had been drunk since that morning. One more giant sip and the beer was thrown over her shoulder, and she grabbed another can—half empty—out of her baggy pants’ pocket. 
        
"And this is how you tell me?" Answered a familiar voice. It was Lance. Through her droopy eyes, she saw the features of him she admired most. His thick, curly dark brown hair. His strong muscles that shown as if engraved into his tight shirt. The way his blue eyes glistened in the light of the train station. A small tear swept down Genie’s face, and she didn’t know if she was really sad he was leaving, or if it was just the beer talking. Either way, it seemed as if Lance didn’t notice it at all. 
        
Genie stumbled over to where he stood. Lance had his luggage in one hand, and with the other hand, his arm around his new girlfriend Jennifer. "No," she mumbled through her lips—hoping Lance didn’t hear. "This is how you listen." But she couldn’t say that to his f ace. "Lance!"
        
"Save it!"
        
Jennifer seemed to feel uneasy. Her new boyfriend and his old girlfriend he had dumped only because of Jennifer herself, arguing right beside her as if she wasn’t even there.
        "I still love you!" Genie said.
        Jennifer stared up at Lance. "Do you still love her, too?"
        
"No! Uh...no! Of course not!" But the words that he said to protect Jennifer’s feelings only hurt Genie’s. And another tear rolled down her drunk cheek. "Oh! Save it Genie! I know you’re just saying that ‘cause you’re drunk! You don’t even have enough sense in you to realize what we’re saying!" He waited until he knew Genie had a good look him, then he hugged Jennifer tighter with the open arm, and kissed her passionately. 
        
Genie took another giant sip and threw the beer can down to the ground. A trail of cans lined the doorway of the station, and splatters of unfinished beer stained the maroon carpet. 
        
"I love you," she repeated. 
        
"I love you," Lance thought. Then he looked at Jennifer. "I love you."
        
"I love you, too," said Jennifer. 
        
"I thought he loved me."
        
"Train to Milwaukee, last boarding call. Track 6."
        
Both Jennifer and Lance grabbed their bags and headed to Track 6. 
        
Genie searched her pockets for another beer—preferably one unopened—but her tracks were parched of any. She walked to the track where Jennifer and Lance boarded and took off. She hated to say it, but they did look cute together. Her with her long legs and skinny body. And him with his muscular chest and tense face. The feeling of sadness took over her until she couldn’t take the thirst any longer and went back to her car to get the last keg of beer. 

Back on the train, Lance was thinking of Genie. "I love you," he repeated in his head. He had meant to say it to Genie, but couldn’t once he saw Jennifer’s gorgeous apple brown eyes staring back at him. Jennifer hugged his arm tighter. He wasn’t looking at her now. He barely even noticed she was there anymore. He read the train signs of safety, and advertisements that lined the ceiling. "I love you."
        
But this one wasn’t in his head. He flung back around and saw Jennifer huddled close to him and repeating those three suicidal words. 
        
"I love you...I love you...I love you..."
        
Lance huddled close to her, too. He let her head slide onto his lap and let her fall to sleep until their first stop in Cincinnati. Then he just worked on holding back the tears. Jennifer never noticed. She never noticed anything. That’s what Lance liked about her. He could be himself, because she didn’t notice enough to care. It wasn’t what he wanted in a relationship—just what the outcome was.

Genie ended up getting a taxi because she was too stoned to get her car started. The guy in the taxi had a balanced hair cut. He was very clean—not like you would imagine a guy that drove a taxi for a living. Looked like a doctor or something. But somehow, he managed to still want to talk to the drunk, hopeless girl in the back of his car.
        
"So, where ya’ headed?"
        
"Home."
        
"Just got off a train?"
        
"Excuse me? The last place I want to be is coming back from a world outside. I’d rather get away from this hell of a town."
        
"Oh, sorry, Miss. Then why were you at the train station?"
        
"Same reason I’m drunk."
        
"And what would that be?"
        
"Do you really have to ask so many f****n’ questions?"
        
"Sorry," he said as he wiped his nose with his sleeve. "How long have you lived here?"
        
"I don’t give away my age."
        
"Ah..."
        
"And I thought you said you were gonna stop asking the damn questions!"
        
"Miss, please don’t raise your voice at me."
        
Genie didn’t respond. She rolled down the tinted gray windows and pushed her head out to feel the breeze. She saw the world on a thread. It looked so pretty, unlike herself. She really was a pretty person when it wasn’t a day like this. She had beach blonde hair and hazelnut eyes and a smile that shown a dimple on her right cheek. This smile shown when she saw the loveliness of the world outside her. It faded as she realized it was for the people who didn’t appreciate it. 
        With her foot, Genie slid the handle of the door down and jumped out of the moving car. A suicide attempt. And it worked. I guess that was one way to stop a hangover. Die drunk.

Lance returned from Wisconsin alone. He had taken the plane this time. He thought of Jennifer. He felt so bad that he left her lying there in the bed without even a goodbye. They were supposed to live together—forever is Milwaukee. But Lance couldn’t take anything but Genie. So he returned home.
        
First, he came to the house he had once called his own when he was living with Genie. Deserted. 
        
Then, to the Church. It was Sunday anyway, right? No. It was Tuesday. Either way, not there.
        
Last, to the school building where Genie had worked as a substitute teacher. He walked into her classroom, and said to the twenty-three fourth graders, "Do you know where Genie is?"
        
One replied, "Ms. Lockhart?"
        
"Yeah."

        And they all let out a low snicker. 

 

© 2009 Kelsey Desmond


Author's Note

Kelsey Desmond
It's romance....in a way. Do you agree?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Dark romance, perhaps... Throwing yourself into traffic out of a moving taxi cab is, indeed, an effective way to stop a hangover, albeit an extremely final solution. I personally prefer Tylenol and lots of water. ;)

That aside, I enjoyed the story.

I like the succinct nature of the story and the characters are pretty believable, but I want to know more about them -- just enough to know what brought them to this point, anyway. What brought about such alcoholic tendencies in Genie? What is she thinking and how did she get to this point? Why is Lance still drawn to her despite her self-destructive behavior? What is he thinking?

From reading, I get the idea that Genie and Lance were once together; if not, then they could have been were it not for Jennifer. The fact that they are not together lead her to the heavy drinking and subsequent suicide. The suicide at first seemed, to me at least, to be a bit too absurd, but the light manner of explaining death as a hangover cure is actually quite funny amid Genie's struggles. This interesting little story has definitely left me thinking. Good work!

Thanks for sending the read request. I enjoyed the story and I'll definitely read more. Keep up the good work!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Romantic? Yes! But, also slightly amusing? Not quite what I had in mind for my Contest, "FIGHTING FOR FREEDOM", but still nice to read. Also, almost comforting, to see that romance is still appreciated by the younger generation! This kind of story, would probably be very interesting to those of a similar age to the writer. Thankyou, kindly! I feel kind of older now, at 36, sigh.....

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

'But she couldn't say that to his f ace.' 'face' should be all together.

'the last keg of beer.' maybe the last can of beer?

this was super awesome, but I thought for all the description you put into it it could have been longer to develop the characters more and make the reader more sympathetic to them.

wonderful concept, and the last line was great. the first paragraph was great, as well.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I suppose both of them were hanging on, each in their own way, if only each of them had known at the same time. Nice story!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Different, but quite good. Well done.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Scott:

They weren't technically snickering about the death. They were snickering that he didn't know. I kept this because it has a sad ending where you don't know what happens. I would not change it, because I love the ending. I love my story line in this and the idea. It is my greatest piece, I would say. I am not changing the ending.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Yeah, dark romance, I'd say.
You've got a good title going, here. The lead-in to Genie's death was very, very good, probably the best part in the story. Still, you surprised me with her jumping out. Good job on that.
The ending was unsatisfactory. A bit, at least. I find it unbelievable that fourth graders would snicker about somebody's death. That seems really mean for a bunch of kids. I'd changed that.
Other than that, I thought it was good. Three thumbs up =)

~S

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Cam
I think so :)
This was amazing...It was very heartfelt and sad, but I couldn't stop reading... It had me the whole time.
I really didn't expect her to jump out, I thought the taxi driver would have helped cease some pain.
Terrific write!

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Yeah! I would it's romance you can feel the love walking away, love in goodbye, there's a alot of love in this especially all the "I love you's" (LOL) joking. I can feel the twisted and tied up emotions in this. I can feel
the thoughts of love, i think this is a most splendid write here, you have a knack for story telling.

Suicide though is in another subject unless your talking about a suicide love. I feeling of emptiness in the soul is what I am talking about cause in a way that's love as well. over all a wonderful write.

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Bennett:

"
Jennifer seemed to feel uneasy. Her new boyfriend and his old girlfriend he had dumped only because of Jennifer herself, arguing right beside her as if she wasn't even there."

This line shows your main question.

I know it is kinda confusing, but it says that Lance and Genie were once going out, but Lance dumped Genie for Jennifer. But your review has opened up my mind to a new problem, why? Why did Lance dump Genie in the first place if he still loves her? But now as I am typing this, I have found the answer. It says it in the second part of the story. That he was confused. So he got a new outcome on a relationship. And he wished he could go back to the old one. And that is why he comes back to Genie at the end of the story. The story show irony in life. Genie thought the Lance and Jennifer were going to be together for a long time because Lance had shown Jennifer off at the train station. Kissed her passionately and told Genie she was too drunk to understand. And that is why she committed suicide. Because she felt there was no hope. But Lance was, as I said, confused. So he didn't know which side to choose. So he chose Jennifer's.

He comes back to Genie in the end, seeing the situation from a different perspective. He realizes Genie is who he really wants. When reading, the reader is unaware at the end about how Lance finds out about Genie's death. Which opens up creativity in the mind of the reader.

I know I'm rambling now, but I would like people to know what I think of the story. And this is it. I suppose I could explain it a little more weaved in between a story. But I guess a story should be long, but leave history brief but informative. I had originally wrote this story to be ten pages, but as I started writing, I realized the plot couldn't handle that much. It deserved to be short and down to the point. Thank you for your review, Bennett Logan, or else *I* might not have thought about this and understood my OWN story! ^_^

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

A compelling story, dark with a twisted ending. Very well written and constructed.

I enjoyed reading it thanks for the request

Peace

Boneman

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

633 Views
12 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 9, 2009
Last Updated on June 14, 2009
Previous Versions

Author

Kelsey Desmond
Kelsey Desmond

Mandeville, LA



About
Hey, dudes! Kelsey here! Sevies are awesome and I'm a proud thirteen-year-old! :) My posie's down in New Orleans, Louisiana! I love Musical Theatre (hehe NOCCA is amahzing!) Facebook and Gmail are my .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..