Unexpected

Unexpected

A Poem by trying_to_write

“So you’re half straight then?”

Half straight.

A term I’ve always hated.

“No, it means I’m bisexual.”

“But that’s like the same thing right?”

Of all people to say that,

I never thought it would be you.

I also never thought it would hurt this bad.

You were the one who was supposed to accept me.

You were supposed to love me.


I know you didn’t mean to say it the way you did or at all.

But part of me thinks maybe you did.

Maybe that’s one thing you were afraid to tell me.

Maybe you let it slip in a way you thought I wouldn’t react to.

“I never meant to upset you.”

“I know you didn’t, it’s okay, I can get over it.”

“I mean I’d be hard pressed anyways to find a girl these days who isn’t.”

So you’re just dealing with you have?

Probably not what you meant to say. Again.

I’ll give you one last chance. Please. Take it.


“I really am sorry.”

“I know. It’s okay.”

I really did forgive you though.

You meant it when you apologized and I appreciate that.

So we laughed it off and put it behind us.

Before you “dug yourself another grave” as you called it.

“I admire how open you are about it actually.”

That’s the first smart thing you’ve said this entire time.

Hopefully, we don’t run into this problem again but if we do,

we might both handle it better next time, learning from now.


© 2019 trying_to_write


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Dude, this was great! I've been out for a very long time. The saddest part about it is that I can't share the person that I love the most in this world with the 2 people who were supposed to accept me no matter what. It breaks my heart that I can't tell my folks how happy this girl makes me and how I'm gonna marry her some day. I know exactly how this feels. Love is love. It doesn't matter if it's with a guy or a girl. When love hits, it hits hard. Very good job!

Posted 5 Years Ago


trying_to_write

5 Years Ago

Thank you very much. It saddens me to hear about your parents but I understand the position you're i.. read more
You know, I can really relate to this. So many people are okay with homosexuality but are confused or weirded out by bisexuality. I know people who think you can only like one or the other, even though they know I've been with girls and guys.
This really hit me, because sometimes the people we trust and love the most are the ones who can hurt us the most, without even meaning to.

Posted 5 Years Ago


trying_to_write

5 Years Ago

I'm glad you were able to relate to my writing, makes me feel like I've done something right here. E.. read more
the conversational style is easy to follow ..you bring up a social issue that will always need illumination ... you could make your closing stronger if you expand it from personal to more universal ... some poetic imagery, alterations, personifications etc. all can bloom an expression ..but perhaps you have kept it straight forward for its own sake ... ;) i read your "About Me" and in answer to your insecurities about writing .... i think most people here will tell you the same thing ... your expressions are important and valid within themselves if you, the author, has "gotten it out" so to speak ... but if you learn more of the tools that poetry incorporates your confidence and satisfaction in expression will increase ... i am self taught but have taken a few free online classes that stretched and grew me ..but my most valuable learning has come from writing and read read reading others .. the journey of "finding your voice" can be long and tedious as one searches each avenue ... but when you do .. find that voice .. it will be well worth it ... no matter what subjective opinions of it may be ... welcome to the Cafe' ..there are also people here who are professors teaching poetry, English etc ... as well as those such as myself ... it makes for a wonderful colorful Cafe' in my opinion ... peace and joy!
E.

Posted 5 Years Ago


trying_to_write

5 Years Ago

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my work, I'll definitely think about how expand my end.. read more
Wow, not sure why but this lil bit reminded me of the opening conversation of Green Days' "Wake me up when September ends". Maybe the way you floated the conversation I assume. Liked it

Posted 5 Years Ago


Abhishek Izy

5 Years Ago

I can feel that indeed
trying_to_write

5 Years Ago

I can definitely feel the sense in which you can connect those two conversations, and thank you for .. read more
Abhishek Izy

5 Years Ago

Pleasure is all mine
Good conversation , I like how you analyze what happened

Posted 5 Years Ago


trying_to_write

5 Years Ago

I'm glad you liked it. Thank you for reading.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

160 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 6, 2019
Last Updated on January 6, 2019

Author

trying_to_write
trying_to_write

Vancouver, Canada



About
I’ve never been very confident in my writing until I started sharing it. It helped me see that maybe I wasn’t a s****y writer? I’m only 16, I write a lot of poems and I’m reall.. more..

Writing
TBA TBA

A Poem by trying_to_write