A 'media' age.

A 'media' age.

A Story by Kajal Gulabani

'Minor raped in the interiors of New Delhi', 
'fiscal cliff deal signed,  
'cold wave hits Northern India'.... Almost no corner of the globe is kept under the wraps of lime light. 
Social media has winged it's mysticism not only over each part of the world but over each skull as well. News channels battling on common grounds, twitter jewelled with celebrity tweets, magazines showcasing fads and capitalised productivity of newspapers...we know it all !
I would certainly not prefer being a back seater in raising my hand for the adulation which the media rosters are crowned with. why shouldn't they be? They are the websites of every man, have spread vast networks amongst society and economy ,of course ,how to minus the political front !!
BUT is that it?  
Peering it somewhat more gravely, how the wings of media replete us? It was just another lazy hour of the day and I logged into my fb account:
'An extravagant musical night with Atif Aslam's sizzling voice ,resonated the town. I was the lucky one who legged it too', flashed on my I pad screen. Updated by one of my acquaintances, Saara , flooded with more than 30 likes and almost 18 comments. 
'For love not only crowns you, it also crucifies you- Kahlil Gibran' tweeted by one and fanatically retweeted by few more. What are these signalling at? 
The ratio of 'love for art' is to 'much -vaunted' ideas is highly uneven. There are only a few who verily float a message whilst remaining masses are engulfed in the state of euphoria by the number of likes and retweets. 
I ,hereby ,am hitting grossly at the personal segment and  its aftermath. Incredible and incomprehensible it has now become to fathom it's impact on people. Some have busied themselves in the quest for fame and acknowledgement through vivid routes of social media. Some covet being 'wanna be's , some please their surmounted egos.
 'Media': A five letter word has been fuelling tremendous controversies. Is it a pavement for our ignorance? Is it an ego booster? Is it a source to overcome deep rooted hindrances? Is it awakening the masses or presenting naked truth in hand-made muslin? As per me, it is the vast cloud covered with layers of mist and fog, gliding seamlessly above all.
Media is no longer confined to events, cinema and politics. It has taken a formidable identity. An identity to assuage million other genes fretting to be known and get connected. 
I ain't no exceptional gene. I breathe an optimistic air and thus would be unkind to not raise hands for the much lauded social media for giving me my wings as an aspiring writer. Stay connected, my readers...

© 2013 Kajal Gulabani


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very prolific and powerful.

Posted 11 Years Ago


We do live in a "social" age. Hermits may turn away from the Internet, but they must inevitably join t--ot be trampled by it. We trade lonliness for friendship--but also give our privacy away.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

200 Views
2 Reviews
Added on January 8, 2013
Last Updated on January 9, 2013
Tags: Social, real, fame, ego

Author

Kajal Gulabani
Kajal Gulabani

Ahmedabad, Shilaj, India



Writing