Oliver's Garden

Oliver's Garden

A Story by Kaliope

An icy gale howled through the iron gate, heralding Oliver's return to his family's garden. The young man, clad in a purple parka and a yellow woolen cap, pulled a key from his pocket and grated it against the rusty lock. He pulled at the ring handle, but a leafless thorn hedge, tightly wrapped around the bars, fought bravely to keep the gate shut. A forceful tug, however, sent bits of branches fluttering to the ground and the portal to Oliver's childhood realm swung open with a wretched wail.

The hedge still denied him entry, as if bound by knightly honor. More of its spindly arms, woven into a spiky lattice, blocked his passage. A gentle smile on his lips Oliver took out his hedge clippers and cut a gaping hole into the sapless guardian. He whistled a merry spring tune as he slipped through, trailing a large bag behind.

Over the years the stone path through the garden, once roofed by a rose trellis, had crumbled away under an army of weeds. As a little boy Oliver had helped tearing the brash offenders out from between the slabs. He had loved the sound of stems snapping and the grassy smell of sap, streaming over his fingers.

"I want to be a gardener," young Oliver had proudly announced to his mother. She had been trimming the roses.

"Pulling up weeds is only half the job, Oliver," she had answered with a silvery laugh. "A good gardener needs a gentle heart. You have to show your plants love and care as well!"

The wind chased rust-colored leaves through the passage under the trellis, which had long since been conquered by rampant vines. The loose foliage sought refuge in the branchlets but vines and leaves fell alike to Oliver's hedge clippers. The withered twigs cracked under his soles and the leaves crumbled to dust as he dragged his bag over their corpses.

At the end of the trellis Oliver paused and blew into his hands. His breath bloomed into the freezing air like a ghostly flower. He looked around and scowled at the straggly shrubs and creepers, claiming former flower beds. The garden had been so beautiful, so vibrant when he'd been a child. When he closed his eyes, he could almost see the daisies, violets, dahlias and lilies wafting in the morning wind, their heads bowed in deference until the sun prompted them to show their pretty faces. Then young Oliver would stride through their ranks like a fairy-tale prince, showing himself to his enchanted subjects. He would climb the fruit trees to oversee his magic kingdom and graciously accept their juicy offerings. Oliver smiled at the opulent image in his mind. He deeply inhaled the memory of fragrant flowers and tasted imaginary apples, pears and cherries, mellow and sweet.

An eerie tune whistled through the air and from afar the hoarse caw of a raven sounded. Oliver opened his eyes and frowned. It would take time to restore his magic realm to its former glory but he was patient. Tender shoots, colorful flowers, sweet fruits - they would all return to revere and regale their legitimate prince. Oliver laughed. No longer prince - he was a king now! Before he could claim his rightful throne though, Oliver had to be a gardener, just as his mother had taught him. Loving. Caring. A gardener carrying a gentle heart. A winter-withered thistle jabbed at his leg and he crushed it under his boot.

The delicate flowers had all died a long time ago but most of the orchard was still standing. Two apple trees marked its entry and Oliver sighed at the dreary sight of his old friends. He remembered how they'd stood tall and straight, competing for a young boy's love of heights and sweet apples. Now, clinging to each other with their knobbly branches intertwined, they resembled frightened, old men holding gout-ridden hands. Their gnarly roots, clawing into the ground, forced Oliver to shoulder his bag and carry it over their crippled toes.

As he stepped over the roots, his foot got caught in a wooden snare and he stumbled. A sharp pain shot up his ankle. The bag slipped from his grip. He flailed his arms, desperate to regain his balance. Oliver finally managed to tear his foot free and leaned heavily against one of the furrowed trunks. Rubbing his ankle he scowled up at the apple trees; they could have broken his leg. He would have to cut them down. The thought pained him but Oliver couldn't afford to shy away from harsh decisions if he wanted his kingdom back. However, he neither had the tools nor the time to execute his verdict, so he hobbled on to the plum tree alley, his heavy bag in tow.

The meager plum trees bowed their bald boughs. As he passed under the last one, Oliver heard a cracking sound from above. A snapped branch, hanging only by a few fibers, dangled over his head but the tree held on to its broken limb as if afraid to harm its rightful sovereign. The plum trees had always been cowards, Oliver thought with a chuckle, surrendering their fruits to every passing vermin and presenting nothing but either sour or rotten offerings to their ruler. He had never particularly liked them, but he'd decide their fate later. He was close to his target now. Across the duck pond he could already see the old willow tree, awaiting his return. Its hanging branches glistened white with frost and swayed majestically in the chilly breeze.
 
Oliver reached the verge of the pond without any more obstacles. An apparently thick layer of ice on the water's surface invited him to take a shortcut but he didn't trust the offer. It would be too easy to trap him in the freezing water or to snatch his bag away from him. Obviously, his subjects were in a foul mood today, so he took the safer route around the pond.

As he reached the willow, Oliver cautiously lowered his bag to the ground. "I brought you another present old friend," he whispered and affectionately patted the willow's wrinkled bark. The tree's boughs creaked in the wind.

Oliver pulled a pickax and a shovel from the bag's side pocket and got to work. The frozen ground fought boldly but he knew how to break its resistance; he had done it many times before. Once the hole under the willow tree was deep enough, he knelt beside the bag and opened its main compartment.

The girl's murky eyes stared up at the murky winter sky. Her name was Rose. The cold had made her even prettier, Oliver thought as he gently stroked the girl's cheek. She looked like a fairy-tale princess - her face white as snow, her hair black as ebony and the gaping hole in her chest rust-red as dried blood. Oliver gathered her in his arms and eased her down into her frigid bed. Then he dropped a few rose seeds into the girl's open heart and covered her body with soil.

Oliver stood and clapped his hands clean. "Take good care of our new princess, make sure her sleep is not disturbed," he warned the willow good-naturedly and smiled. His gaze swept over the other flower beds he had laid out during the past months. In spring he would return to see the Daisys, Violets, Dahlias, Lilys and Roses bloom. He had a good feeling that this time he'd succeed. And once his realm would be restored to its former beauty, surely his subjects would love him again. Then he would truly be king - King Oliver, the Gentle Gardener.

© 2016 Kaliope


Author's Note

Kaliope
30.8.15 - v2 - edited version, hopefully with better narrative flow :-)

26.8.15 - v1 - Not sure this is quite finished, it still feels a bit rough in some places. So all thoughts and suggestions are most welcome!


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Now this is very well written. Firstly I really enjoyed this just because of the slow moving walk through the garden. Until the end. Then my mouth was wide open. So did he actually open her heart and put in rose seeds?

Is that his mom? I got bamboozled into thinkning that this is a nice guy. Wait is he? Now I want a next part or something!

Also you said that english is your second laugange right? If so WOW you really got good at it. Hope you best! Maybe you should write a novella as an experiment? I'm sure you could deliver something great!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kaliope

6 Years Ago

Thank you very much for kind words! Indeed, Oliver opened his victim's heart to plant roses, but she.. read more



Reviews

Well, as you might have noticed by reading my stories I'm not particularly into that symbolism-metaphor-business, but I really liked the way you managed that here. I very much enjoyed reading the descriptions of the garden, there are many words I had to check since I'm also not very much into the, ehm, garden-business :). And, yes, I even slightly envy your ability to describe nature. To be perfectly honest :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kaliope

8 Years Ago

Thank you for this lovely review. Hehe, to be perfectly honest... I had to look up quite a few words.. read more
Bobby Garfield

8 Years Ago

Yeah, it surprised me more than a bit, I'd say. I liked it because it you managed to make it both su.. read more
I'm a huge fan of your descriptive style. You set the scene very well. It's poetic and intriguing. Keep writing and I'll keep reading.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kaliope

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much! :-)
1st impression) The language used here is excellent. Lexical set of heraldry is reminiscent of a heroic fantasy novel but I'm not entirely sure this fits the atmosphere of the story.
2nd impression) Scrap what I've just said, the metaphor used is brilliant. It fully captures a child's rampant imagination whilst leaving the bitter sweet taste of melancholy in the readers mouth. This story hurdles me back to my childhood when I used to tend the garden with my dear grandmother. If Oliver is the gracious king then I was the depraved tyrant, scouring the land of anything that dared challenge my lofty existence. My hands were torture chambers, used to slowly peel away the shells of snails. My feet came down on the heads of ants and spiders, the foot of God come to wipe themfrom their pathetic life.
3rd impression) *I swallow my breath and my skin turns sickly cold as I begin to understand the twisted reality behind this delusional fantasy. Then, my thin lips curl back behind my teeth, locked into a devilish grin. "Finely done..... very finely done," I whisper, relishing this wonderfully twisted story.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kaliope

8 Years Ago

I wish you could see me grinning right now. I really appreciate how you let me participate in the va.. read more
TheWordWanderer

8 Years Ago

It was my pleasure really. I always try to write a review in a way that I like people to review mine.. read more
It exudes fantasy, from language to sequence. Feels very hazy and ethereal.

"The hedge still denied him entry, as if bound by knightly honor. More of its spindly arms, woven into a spiky lattice, blocked his passage. A gentle smile on his lips Oliver took out his hedge clippers and cut a gaping hole into the sapless guardian. He whistled a merry spring tune as he slipped through, trailing a large bag behind."

This paragraph is really strong. Great job!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kaliope

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much for reading and reviewing, much appreciated!
This is a long story. You really did great. Very descriptive that I can easily and clearly see and imagine the character as well as the setting. Your imagination is awesome! Nice writing style! Great job! :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kaliope

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much! :-)
TheMalady

8 Years Ago

You're very much welcome! :)
This was really good. meaningful and sweet all packed into one. King Oliver was a very good and well thought of twist you added. wonderful work!!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kaliope

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much!
Sorry, I haven't been in this website for a while. I was really glad I did come here to read again especially your stories.
I knew before I even began reading that you would surely put a twist into it and was looking for it and even so you still surprised me with the very dark twist.
At first everything was magical, sure every gardener feels like their garden is full of persons and not just ordinary plants and I really loved (like always) the way you compared the plants not just to persons but a kingdom, how Oliver was the King and what you thought of every plant in a way that you made the story feel like it was actually filled with more than just one character. Like it's said, everyone thinks they are right that's why Oliver seems so real in this story even though he sounds creepy you get to know a character more by the way they see the world than by how others would see them.
Like always your stories are such a great treat to read no matter how short or long they are. Great story!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kaliope

8 Years Ago

Thank you for this wonderful review. I'm glad you liked it and it's always great to hear that I mana.. read more
This was beautiful, it has a sort of brittle quality to it. Full of imagination and what appears to be happiness, but the girl at the end makes the whole stoy seem to shift to something less playful. Very well done.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kaliope

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much :-)
Strong contrast between 'A good gardener needs a gentle heart' and then the real story which unfolds in the last 2 paragraphs. Captivating. Well done.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kaliope

8 Years Ago

Thank you very much :-)
I think this is my favorite out of all your writings!
I love how most of the story is written in a gentle, calm, "loving and caring" manner and right before the end you twist it into a dark, more macabre tone!
The surprise element is always what excites me!
Love it!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kaliope

8 Years Ago

Thanks for your lovely review! After the lighthearted pieces I felt it was time for something darker.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

900 Views
26 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 26, 2015
Last Updated on June 12, 2016

Author

Kaliope
Kaliope

Vienna, Austria



About
Hi, I'm a nerdy IT specialist in my forties, writing for fun and to keep my sanity. Feel free to friend me and to send me reading requests. I'll give you honest feedback and appreciate honesty in re.. more..

Writing
Checkout Life Checkout Life

A Story by Kaliope


Writer's Pains Writer's Pains

A Story by Kaliope


Follower Follower

A Story by Kaliope



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Writer's Pains Writer's Pains

A Story by Kaliope