Searching

Searching

A Chapter by K.

 
          Searching
 “Yeah,” She sighs. “It’s exactly like that.” 
  His face is in his hands, his fingers spread across his eyes, then across his mouth. He turns his head toward the water, with only his eyes on her, biting his nails. 
  “Old habit I could never kick.” He mumbles after a sigh, when her eyes flicker to his gnawed fingernails. “So, uh, what do you want to do about it? I mean it’s not really something that’s gonna be fixed easily, you know?” 
  “Well, we could, you know, start by finding her, yeah? She seems pretty, uh, easy to track down, I mean, she gave us her address herself.” she gives a half-smile in the moonlight, her skin tan and her brown hair drifting in the breeze. The whitecaps rolled over, fading into the dark blue of the sea, an almost mesmerizing illusion. 
  “But she’s also mad, remember?” he crosses his arms, squeezing his chest. “It’s not going to be that easy. She’s not stupid enough to just be there, and she’s not just going to go right out and talk about it.”
  “I know, but we have to start somewhere, okay?” she huffs, standing and wading into the shallow water. “I’ve always been a little afraid of the water,” she sighs. “Just the hugeness of it, you know? They say the oceans contain about 99% of the living space on earth, and humans have only explored about 10% of that space.” 
  “Major in marine studies?”
  “Nope, just curious.” The wind begins to pick up again, goosebumps prickling across both of their arms, bringing the calls of seabirds and crickets and children to the seafront. “So,” she smirks, looking over at him, rubbing her hands across bare arms. “Are you going to be the gentleman and give the lady your jacket, or am I going to have to find someone else?” 
  “I don’t see a lady around here…” his voice fades away as he looks over her head, looking into the dark. He laughs, taking off his jacket and ruffling her hair. 
  “Very funny. Should we head out?” 
  He nods, walking ahead of her, towards the blinking lights of the pier and the muffled laughter of families on their last trip of the summer. She trails behind, picking up the stray shell every so often. He’d glance back to see her mouth turn up slightly as she inspected each shell, tossing the cracked and broken ones back into the water.
  “Don’t like the broken ones?” he turns, walking backwards with ease, with his hands in his pocket and the small smirk smeared across his face, as if he were leaning against a wall, searching the bar for a prospective one-night-stand.
  “Nope.”
  “Why not? Some of them are prettier broken up.”
  “Reminds me too much of things.”
  “Back story?”
  “Rather not talk about it.”
  “Right.” he turns back around, walking slower until his arm is bumping with her shoulder. The flashing lights of the circus pier were above them now, the excited screams of little girls on the merry-go-round and the shouts from the boys who won the basketball jersey for making the most hoops loud in their ears. “Want to go up?” her eyes come up from the sand and her hands for the first time since the began to walk, flickering to his, then to the pier above. 
  “I think I’m going to head in for the night, we’ll start fresh early tomorrow.”
  “Aye-Aye, Captain.” he brings his hand to a salute, flashing a stern, but mocking, face, bringing her laugh to his ears. 
  “Shut up. Here’s your jacket by the way,” she slides it off, and starts up the dune to the townhouses that stood on stilts. “Thanks.”
  He flashes a grin and brings up his palm in a wave as he walks onto the pier, dodging the children and receiving apologies from jogging parents. The bright, flashing lights brought it all back- the click of the bullet sliding into the chamber and the quick flash as the bullet flies out, the screams of- he grips the pier railing, shutting his eyes so he can only see black. He reaches into a pocket of the leather jacket, searching for the medicine he took only an hour before when he had his last episode. He had been having so many lately, and he’d reached his daily limit for the medicine episodes ago. 

  Instead of the pills, he finds a cracked shell. It glimmers in the flashing lights, the blue and purple and soft grey and pink, becoming red and yellow and green all at once, but it was a controlled change, one that didn’t hurt his head or his eyes. It steadies his mind, it steadies him, maybe because it made him think of the shells he collected when he was little, the ones he kept in the jar beside his bed, or maybe it was because she had given it to him. 



© 2014 K.


Author's Note

K.
Does anyone know if it's possible to double space on here, because copy and pasting a double spaced thing isn't working for me :(

Anyways, yes... I have decided to try writing a book of sorts. This is a beginning chapter, so it is a little rough. Please read it and give me your thoughts, they will be greatly appreciated! I will work on re-editing it, but I just had this idea and I wanted to do at least a rough draft of it and see if people will like it, and this is the best place to do that! Sorry this is a little rushed, I will work on giving a little more background soon! Thank y'all so much!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Double spacing works for me, but indenting doesn't. That's why all of my chapters are double spaced but not indented. The formatting on this site is screwy.

Wow, lots of mysteries hinted at. Mouthwatering. Definitely needs a rewrite, though. For one thing, you keep changing from present to past tense and back again. I like it so far. I want to know more.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

K.

9 Years Ago

I guess I just need to figure something out, haha! And thank you very much! I always have issues wit.. read more



Reviews

Kassie this is great! I love the attention to detail you displayed. You painted a vivid picture in my head and as a reader that's very important for me to keep interest. Excited to read more, keep it up!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

K.

9 Years Ago

Thanks, Alexx! Haven't seen you in a while! Thank you so much for reading and reviewing. I really ap.. read more
Good write Kassie! I'll be on a look out for the second chapter. Thanks for sharing!

-CW

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

K.

9 Years Ago

Hey, Cody! Thank you so much! Oh, and congrats on winning that mystery writing contest! I saw that p.. read more
Cody Williams

9 Years Ago

Thanks! It really means a lot!

-CW
Double spacing works for me, but indenting doesn't. That's why all of my chapters are double spaced but not indented. The formatting on this site is screwy.

Wow, lots of mysteries hinted at. Mouthwatering. Definitely needs a rewrite, though. For one thing, you keep changing from present to past tense and back again. I like it so far. I want to know more.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

K.

9 Years Ago

I guess I just need to figure something out, haha! And thank you very much! I always have issues wit.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

313 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 3, 2014
Last Updated on December 27, 2014


Author

K.
K.

TX



About
I am 19 years old, I am majoring in political science, with a minor in military studies. I volunteer at a horse therapy center for people with disabilities, I'm on my college rowing team, and I love t.. more..

Writing
Mistakes Mistakes

A Story by K.


Here Here

A Story by K.


Mileage Mileage

A Story by K.