From Woods To My Garden

From Woods To My Garden

A Poem by Kathy Van Kurin
"

the contrast yet similarity between the planting and expected end of a harvest in a garden and also the natural planting of seeds within nature and the summer treat of wild blackberries.

"



From woods to my garden

 


Time for a late morning hike. I visit my jewel place of peace.

A precious secret which few seem aware exists.  Ten Aspens; a border, a trellis festooned with wild blackberries. These boughs in a nearby metropolis wood bear precious sweetness. Sweet black jewels of wine, honey bees are satisfied.

 Each one visits for a sip.


August haze holds fragrance of blessed ripeness. With each handful I pick, my lips are thankful with the life giving sugars. Even my Spaniel enjoys this August berry treat. 

What fragrance, the yellow jackets are hungry too!


Homeward bound, I dart one more fleeting glance of winsome wooded beauty, a fairy ring around a glimmering pond of contented ducks.These trees seeds have been carried and planted but not by man. In this marshy thicket’s edge of my beloved Aspens now here by the winds own hand. How long has this cane and wooded thicket dwelt as one?

 

Arriving home, and now in backyard garden abode, I am met by Summer breezes which Stir, lift, swirl. Stagnancy flies on this steaming August noon.  Summer days of vibrancy, of growth: My tomato plants rejoice. With every rising notch of the thermometer do I hear the plants push, prod, even squeak?

 

Life and life: I rejoice in this season’s wheel. long hot days of August, I cherish you. Sweat and heat for me. Around the corner, my droopy leafed Rhododendron is so thirsty but I mustn't water in the heat of the day. Every leaf would be burned and curled in injury.


I will wait for cool evening’s invitation! The soil lays waiting in my precious garden. Even the strawberry bed is flowering anew and finally I am seeing watermelon plants pushing up.


  What a place I have in my own back yard corner!

What a secret place of treasure I have in secluded wood's room!  

© 2017 Kathy Van Kurin


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Author's Note

Kathy Van Kurin
Summer has been a joy and the heart readies to wave goodbye for I know that Fall will arrive soon enough.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! I also live bordering the wilderness, so I can relate to the contrast between my cultivated plants/garden & the wildish array beyond my fence. Your details are sparkling with vivid imagery & gentle word sounds all along. Good use of dynamic verbs that make your plant life come alive! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathy Van Kurin

6 Years Ago

barleygirl,
I'll bet your a nature girl! To soak in greens of woods, blue of sky and fresh ai.. read more



Reviews

LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! I also live bordering the wilderness, so I can relate to the contrast between my cultivated plants/garden & the wildish array beyond my fence. Your details are sparkling with vivid imagery & gentle word sounds all along. Good use of dynamic verbs that make your plant life come alive! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathy Van Kurin

6 Years Ago

barleygirl,
I'll bet your a nature girl! To soak in greens of woods, blue of sky and fresh ai.. read more
Mother the.................................................................................................................................................................was

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathy Van Kurin

6 Years Ago

Duncan Brown,
Thanks so much for taking the time to read. I truly enjoyed reading your last w.. read more
good bye to summer (sigh ) and you wrote it well,
somehow i knew you had a garden,and i love tomatoes

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathy Van Kurin

6 Years Ago

Oh my, so transparent- well.. yea looks like you figured me out! I know what you mean, I am sighing .. read more
 wordman

6 Years Ago

my pleasure,as always
' Life and life: I rejoice in this season’s wheel. long hot days of August, I cherish you.. '

Landscape gardener amd designerr here who knows the wonder of serving the earth as one might serve Earth and its Maker.

Your landscape is majestic, Kathy. Each quarterly mood of and in your garden is near glorified; you are a gardener who plants and sows so as watch a future on teh horizon and you do it with amazingly rich language.

. What a place I have in my own back yard corner! ~ What a secret place of treasure I have in secluded wood's room! ' That's how it should be.. and more.. Beautiful words.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Kathy Van Kurin

6 Years Ago

It's so nice to receive affirmation like this Miss Emma. Your a girl who wants others to do well. Yo.. read more
emmajoy

6 Years Ago

YOUR writing is beautiful .. and will tell you why, Kathy: your words are always as pure as pure can.. read more
Your garden is abundant in food and beauty.
It's always strange how the impending fall sends that shiver down your spine. Though i suppose nature sees it as a well deserved rest. But even in winter, plants can captivate us.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathy Van Kurin

6 Years Ago

Paul Bell,
This season is definitly upon us and summer is becoming a memory. I did plant fall.. read more
Paul Bell

6 Years Ago

Pleasure Kathy.
You took me on this hike with you and it was joyful and well worth the read. You are an amazing writer. You brought out many details and you took the reader along step by step. Tyfs!!!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Kathy Van Kurin

6 Years Ago

Cyprian Van Dyke,
You were really enjoying the trip; i am so glad. i'll bet you enjoy the out.. read more
Cyprian Van Dyke

6 Years Ago

Yes, the outdoors are amazing! It was my pleasure reading this. :)
Kathy Van Kurin

6 Years Ago

Thank you much!
A garden is often a reflection of personality. just walking slowly and touching the odd plant of flower can give you wonderful feelings of contentment.This year I grew a garden full of wild flowers. Completely random, the neighbours were not happy. The Bees, Butterflies and thousands of other insects loved it. it made me smile each time I came home.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathy Van Kurin

6 Years Ago

Very cool! Guess who is happy! Your bees, butterflies and insects Loved it. I love it too and to thi.. read more
I've always loved a garden spot and secluded places to rest, think and write. This was a lovely tribute to them all.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathy Van Kurin

6 Years Ago

The basics go a long way with me maybe because nature's charms are anything but....God's garden to m.. read more
I love the feeling this gives you when you read. A journey through the garden of the fae:) This morning it feels as if we jumped over fall and winter is looming lol.. My garden looks frigid.. :) Beautiful write...

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathy Van Kurin

6 Years Ago

Tracey,
I hope that your whimsy is fueled by the vastness of God's Garden all about you. Our .. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
I agree with Hebe on this one.....a wonderfully pleasant journey you have taken the reader on here, giving vivid description to place us in your shoes as you survey your sacred space.

Your poetry always exudes a sense of wondrous happiness for life and all that surrounds us and as such, must truly be the words of a blessedly contented soul.

Another wonderful piece; deliciously described and written in a state of sheer lust for life and nature. Well Done.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathy Van Kurin

6 Years Ago

Doodley,
I am humbled so much in the presence of natural beauty and ofttimes find that it has.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

674 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 19, 2017
Last Updated on October 9, 2017
Tags: woods, garden, hike, sweet, wine, fragrance, summer, wind, august, life, peace, flowering, water

Author

Kathy Van Kurin
Kathy Van Kurin

OR



About
Everything in and about me has become materiel to ponder, analyze and find meaning and beauty. This life journey is all about revealing lessons many times hidden until dug up and planted then finding .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..