From Woods To My Garden

From Woods To My Garden

A Poem by Kathy Van Kurin
"

the contrast yet similarity between the planting and expected end of a harvest in a garden and also the natural planting of seeds within nature and the summer treat of wild blackberries.

"



From woods to my garden

 


Time for a late morning hike. I visit my jewel place of peace.

A precious secret which few seem aware exists.  Ten Aspens; a border, a trellis festooned with wild blackberries. These boughs in a nearby metropolis wood bear precious sweetness. Sweet black jewels of wine, honey bees are satisfied.

 Each one visits for a sip.


August haze holds fragrance of blessed ripeness. With each handful I pick, my lips are thankful with the life giving sugars. Even my Spaniel enjoys this August berry treat. 

What fragrance, the yellow jackets are hungry too!


Homeward bound, I dart one more fleeting glance of winsome wooded beauty, a fairy ring around a glimmering pond of contented ducks.These trees seeds have been carried and planted but not by man. In this marshy thicket’s edge of my beloved Aspens now here by the winds own hand. How long has this cane and wooded thicket dwelt as one?

 

Arriving home, and now in backyard garden abode, I am met by Summer breezes which Stir, lift, swirl. Stagnancy flies on this steaming August noon.  Summer days of vibrancy, of growth: My tomato plants rejoice. With every rising notch of the thermometer do I hear the plants push, prod, even squeak?

 

Life and life: I rejoice in this season’s wheel. long hot days of August, I cherish you. Sweat and heat for me. Around the corner, my droopy leafed Rhododendron is so thirsty but I mustn't water in the heat of the day. Every leaf would be burned and curled in injury.


I will wait for cool evening’s invitation! The soil lays waiting in my precious garden. Even the strawberry bed is flowering anew and finally I am seeing watermelon plants pushing up.


  What a place I have in my own back yard corner!

What a secret place of treasure I have in secluded wood's room!  

© 2017 Kathy Van Kurin


Author's Note

Kathy Van Kurin
Summer has been a joy and the heart readies to wave goodbye for I know that Fall will arrive soon enough.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

LOVE! LOVE! LOVE! I also live bordering the wilderness, so I can relate to the contrast between my cultivated plants/garden & the wildish array beyond my fence. Your details are sparkling with vivid imagery & gentle word sounds all along. Good use of dynamic verbs that make your plant life come alive! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathy Van Kurin

6 Years Ago

barleygirl,
I'll bet your a nature girl! To soak in greens of woods, blue of sky and fresh ai.. read more



Reviews

What a lovely journey you took me on kathy, i felt i could reach out and taste a blackberry! Your imagery is simply amazing and so is your garden, your words bring warmth to the heart. Thank you for sharing this magical journey with us :)

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathy Van Kurin

6 Years Ago

Hebe,
It is so nice to hear from you and receive a happy response to my poem! I do hope that .. read more
My family has various plants growing across the years. Creeping charlies, spiders, and the occasional fern. Mom's current one is a lemon tree, started from a cutting, and slowly growing. This year we are looking forward to at least 16 lemons.
Finding a fairy ring? Something you have to keep your eyes open for.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathy Van Kurin

6 Years Ago

Hello Jon,
Bless your outdoor summer delights. It's nice to hear of the memories of past gard.. read more
Wow. Gorgeous rendering of all those beauties and joys of the eyes and sight. You truly appreciate the small things in nature that make its dwelling marvelous. Your garden with hope and reap with faith....:)..........................

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathy Van Kurin

6 Years Ago

Thanks Mr. Sami,
Inspiration is sometimes a fleeting and hard to come by commodity. This poem.. read more
Sami Khalil

6 Years Ago

Wow. Good to know. You are welcome. .....:::))))
what a beautiful back yard!!!!!!!!

we used to pick blackberries in the pasture back behind the farmhouse in Ryegate, Vt...
loved that...your poem brought me back there...and in October, all the maples on the mountains...i miss it.
thanks for triggering the memories with your words.
j.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathy Van Kurin

6 Years Ago

Jacob erin-cilberto,
Your youth reality is so stunning! I wish you would write about it. Man.. read more
jacob erin-cilberto

6 Years Ago

many of the poems i have posted here deal with my younger days...:))
Kathy Van Kurin

6 Years Ago

OK that is clear enough I think, even for me, ha ha. I will sure keep that in mind. Thanks Jacob!
Sights, smells and sounds of a contented gardener - all poetically captured for the reader to enjoy - lovely share! :-)

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kathy Van Kurin

6 Years Ago

Phil Oz O'fee,
I wish we could all find the sweetness of a contented gardener and see it the .. read more

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

675 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 19, 2017
Last Updated on October 9, 2017
Tags: woods, garden, hike, sweet, wine, fragrance, summer, wind, august, life, peace, flowering, water

Author

Kathy Van Kurin
Kathy Van Kurin

OR



About
Everything in and about me has become materiel to ponder, analyze and find meaning and beauty. This life journey is all about revealing lessons many times hidden until dug up and planted then finding .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Couplet~ Couplet~

A Poem by lightsong