Santa's Revolution

Santa's Revolution

A Poem by Vanessa Whiteley

Either, said the man in the scarlet suit,
I can spend my time making presents

 

no one needs, not even, the little children:
or I can make one giant gift to the world

 

and make war on the White House.
Remembering the words of other bearded men,

 

he prepared his helpers for a socialist revolution.
In the House a man looked up, bemused,

 

at the news that the turkeys
had made a break for the woods.

 

The President continued to read
how the Grinch Stole Christmas

 

and the dispossessed rose in their thousands -
the reindeer trampled the golden eagle

 

and the only stars that rose that night
were not attached to stripes.

© 2008 Vanessa Whiteley


Author's Note

Vanessa Whiteley
According to my poetry tutor this could be a lot funnier. It needs a few one-liners going for the humour. As it stands it half goes for the humour but it could be a lot funnier. Please tell me what you like and what 's weak and if anyone has any idea in the zany humour department I'd be happy to hear any suggestions. I have also changed the structure to couplets. Do you think these work?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Hey Vanessa. Nice to see a new piece by you up here, since you've been gone so long. I like the sarcasm, which makes a nice-light snack for the Holiday Season, and with a bit of mash potatoes and turkey, completes the meal. Ha ha! Oh, Santa's got a plan; it's going to be a starry, starry Christmas this year! What fun, indeed! Loved it. Rob

Posted 16 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A very satirical poem.
I loved it...boy do you have a mean streak....LOL...

Thanks for entering my contest.
Carla

Posted 16 Years Ago


Hehe I am so happy to see some non whimsical xmas poems although they are very much in the minority. This is great, made me smile, the turkeys running for the woods and the cat attacking the mouse. Kind of left me wanting more which is always good.

Posted 16 Years Ago


Definitely a good use of satire. It's got a subtle humor that's amusing.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

satirical, lyrical and light with the magic of insight ... well writ with the Whitely style in it ...

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

I really like the Suessian bounce to the words. I've always lived where in the mountains or in the country so I never really paid attention to the political scene. Somehow I seem to eat less living in the mesh of society than I did when I was herding sheep and tending crop. So words like socialism, communism never really made sense to me. Neither do most of the english words that I know. All of them can be twisted into deception. There are tribes in the Hymalayas (is that right?) that don't know what a lie is. Their words and manner of speaking don't allow them to lie. I'm not sure if this is true anymore but I guess I'm way off the subject. What I'm really trying to say is great write.

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Vanessa - you should send this piece to the Washinton Post or the NY Times! Good writing -

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Wonderful political satire and so timely! Lydia

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

oh cool I like this one, its fun and political. On the sly...not too forthright, or F**K BUSH!!!



Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Unfortunately, Lucy was right....Christmas is actually owned by a big Eastern syndicate, so I wouldn't expect the uprising anytime soon. Fine piece, whimsical and political in the same breath; has some sharply-drawn imagery, and the whole thing is pulled off nicely.

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Vanessa, this was significantly political. I loved your sarcasm.

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

442 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 8, 2008
Last Updated on February 8, 2008

Author

Vanessa Whiteley
Vanessa Whiteley

Bristol, England



About
Born in 1560 in Stratford-upon-Avon. I have a passion for writing but my parents wanted me to marry early. I ran away from home to see if I could make my fortune in London as my older brother had d.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..