Gentle Lesson

Gentle Lesson

A Poem by SPINNING ON that dizzy edge


Walking always makes me think

about what's on my mind.

All bundled up against the cold

keep thinking that I'll find

a way to make some sense of this

the time it took to learn

that love that's given from the heart

won't always be returned.

 

 

 

 

Kath Nehls 1/08

© 2008 SPINNING ON that dizzy edge


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I think this one paragraph sums it all up pretty nicely. there is nothing like giving all you've got from your heart, and not receiving the same in kind, be it love in the romantic sense, or love for a friend who treats you badly. we can only be responsible for ourselves, control how we treat others and our own reactions to the world around us. much as we might like , we cannot change how others treat us. great write!

laura

Posted 16 Years Ago


5 of 5 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

well, i feel like saying, Amen, but instead..Really excellent,
well flowing work.

Posted 14 Years Ago


I love this! You have captured the wonderment in it all perfectly!!! Phenomenal write!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh snap...ain't that the truth?
Powerfully penned, one little paragraph told a whole story.
Great job, Kath.
A truly beautiful write...

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh wow. This holds such sad truth and wisdom, yet I have to agree with Laura -- we are only responsible for ourselves.

We cannot -- or should not -- give with the intent to receive, but to always give love to the best of our ability. It may not be returned by the person whom we seek it from, but it is returned, when given unselfishly and truly. It's the law of the universe... God's law.

It is painful however, when we love someone who doesn't love us back. Ouch. Yeah.... you definitely tapped that memory with this write. Great job evoking emotion in few lines! I'm always in awe of those who can do that!! Not an easy task. Well done!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh yes that is certainly a hard lesson to learn... we don't always get what we give but we should never stop trying for one day we will be rewarded greatly for our big hearts... wonderfully stated.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The words are written very gently here as well.

I see a lesson learned, and a person not beating herself over it- rather accepting the end result.

A poem that leaves the reader pondering lost love.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

How did I ever miss this pure nugget of wisdom? So true and so empathic. Extraordinarily well written.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Extraordinary work, precise and poignant. I favor the sparsity of words, and this is a gem!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

All too often poetry casts reason and logic to the wind. There is something about poetry that stimulates an "I want to feel good now." mentality which often leads to sad tomorrows. Your poem here searches the soul and asks real questions not constructed of flowery language filled with sound and beauty, yet signifying nothing.

Bravo! [Standing & applauding]

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

First, thanks for your review and it is nice to see another Buffalonian residing here. Regarding your note, I absolutely agree that you covered everything with just that short paragraph. This is the beauty of poetry. I really enjoyed that you begin with just a broadened snapshot of a person wandering, lost in their thoughts, but at the end there is a sense of closure. It is evident that the person is distraught mid-way through, and you find out exactly why that is at the end. Excellent write! Keep up the good work.

Patrick

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

343 Views
19 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 6, 2008
Last Updated on May 7, 2008

Author

SPINNING ON that dizzy edge
SPINNING ON that dizzy edge

Buffalo, NY



About
Some of my work is very personal and some is flight taking fancy... a writer's prerogative... :) Read something of mine and I will read something of yours - very nice and simple and what a way.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..