Part One: Jay's Story- Chapter Three: Training

Part One: Jay's Story- Chapter Three: Training

A Chapter by Locke Redwyne (night sys)

I lift the sword off the rack. It’s not my first sword-skills training, but it’s the first one where Darkling is the teacher. I don’t know why practicing with him should be any different than with my regular trainer. Maybe because he’s the leader of the company? Or do I just want to impress him? I shove my thoughts aside. Focus.

“Okay, let’s start with what you already know.” Darkling summons a katana-like sword made of shadows. I shift into a solid stance, sword held out in front of me. Darkling raises his sword so that the blades are crossed. “Attack me,” he orders. I blink. “Go on. I won’t bite.” I can’t help but grin at the comment. Using the tip of my sword, I flick his blade aside and lash out with a quick strike. He sidesteps, then counters. We battle back and forth, though I can tell he’s going easy on me. After a couple of minutes, he steps back. “That’s enough.”

I lower my sword. “Are you going to teach me a new move now?” I ask.

He smiles in response. “That’s kind of the point of a training session.”

In the few minutes that follow, Darkling demonstrates a couple of swords skills, moves I haven’t seen before. When I try to copy him, I fail spectacularly. Once I attempt a sort of spinning move and trip over my own feet. I end up in a heap on the floor and almost stab myself. My face is red with embarrassment as I scramble to my feet. Darkling is nice enough not to laugh, but his green eyes twinkle with amusement.

“I think you messed up somewhere,” he offers.

“Really? I didn’t notice,” I say sarcastically. Darkling grins, then steps closer.

“You’re holding your sword wrong. You’re lucky you didn’t drop it.” He puts his hand over mine and adjusts my grip. I notice that his skin is warm on mine, and he lingers a second before stepping away. “Try it again,” he says after a moment. I attempt the move again, this time managing to stay on my feet.

“Well, I didn’t fall over that time,” I mutter. I make sure I’m holding my sword right, then try again. And again. And again. Until I’ve nearly perfected the move. When I finally stop, I’m panting slightly.

“Good job.” I jump. I almost forgot that Darkling was watching me. “You’re improving quickly.”

“I’ve always been a fast learner,” I respond with a shrug.

“In that case, let’s try something else.”

~~~~~~~

Nearly two months later, I have my first mission.




© 2018 Locke Redwyne (night sys)


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Never attempted fencing > It looks and sounds dangerous

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 5 Years Ago


Locke Redwyne (night sys)

5 Years Ago

Yeah, it does. But somehow, superheroes always know how to do the right things XD
Wild Rose

5 Years Ago

Its like us on racing bikes descending mountains Passing the support cars and motorbikes
Have.. read more
Locke Redwyne (night sys)

5 Years Ago

True... that makes sense...

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

58 Views
1 Review
Added on June 20, 2018
Last Updated on August 21, 2018

The Coalition Files By Jay_is_Bluefire, Peregrinator7, and Crazy Dragon Lady


Author

Locke Redwyne (night sys)
Locke Redwyne (night sys)

WA



About
Wow, we haven't used this account in literal years! DID system of 19, idk if we'll be posting here but. I'm so glad to find this archive of our old writing. more..

Writing