Lorde teases sophomore album with "Green Light"

Lorde teases sophomore album with "Green Light"

A Story by Kat Wentzell
"

That's a yus kween.

"

2017 will be the year of successful musical rebirths, especially for youthful indie-pop star Lorde.  It has been four years since her first record, Pure Heroine, was released, and fans have been itching to hear about her next melodic move.  Finally, on March 2nd, Lorde came out from her hiatus with a new song, titled “Green Light,” and it’s destined to be a chart-topper.


“Green Light” is a very different, but worthy, addition to Lorde’s repertoire.  The song is very coming-of-age with repetitive messages of renewal and confidence.  It has an air of angst and aggression, with a risky, but ironically pleasing, chord progression leading to a wrecking ball of a chorus.  


Lorde’s lyrical progression in the song is also quite unique, but easily understandable and relatable.  Lorde begins the anthem by cursing an ex-lover with: “I know about what you did and I want to scream the truth.”  She then utilizes the chorus to express how the heartache will not define her by saying: “But I hear sounds in my mind, brand new sounds in my mind.”  


In a recent interview with Zane Lowe for Beats 1, Lorde opened up about her latest hit: “The song is about a heartbreak,” she said. “and it’s not something that I’m really used to writing about.  [The song] sounds so happy and the lyrics are so intense, and I [had thought] ‘How come these things are coming out so joyous sounding?’ and [then] I realized, ‘Oh, this is that drunk girl at the party dancing around crying about her ex-boyfriend, [whom] everyone thinks is a mess.  That’s her tonight...and tomorrow, she starts to rebuild, you know.’  That’s the song for me.”


“Green Light” already has over 14M views on YouTube, and over 8M plays on Spotify.  It has also garnered the attention of many other celebrities, like Katy Perry, who, on March 2nd, tweeted “@lorde that's a yus kween dance on that @lyft 🚦�-” and Lights, who on the same day, tweeted “Luh that new lorde �'�.”      


During the Beats 1 interview, Lorde also stressed what fans should understand about the new album, titled Melodrama: “All of a sudden I was figuring things out like ‘Who am I when I’m alone?  Who am I when I’m just doing things just for myself?’” she said. “I feel like you can really hear that on this record.  I had to tell the truth so starkly to myself and to my friends and the people around me.”


Melodrama is expected to be released within the next few months.  We’re waiting for that green light, Lorde, we want it.

© 2017 Kat Wentzell


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

138 Views
Added on March 9, 2017
Last Updated on March 9, 2017
Tags: lorde, pop culture, pop music, review, critique, music, music journalism

Author

Kat Wentzell
Kat Wentzell

Galloway, NJ



About
♡ my name is kat. i am 19 years old. i'm a journalist for unclear magazine. here are my stories. ♡ more..

Writing