The Twenty Third Birthday

The Twenty Third Birthday

A Story by Kelsey
"

A flash fiction story centered in a Dystopian world. 239 words

"

“The Twenty Third Birthday” (239 words)


Results: Inessential


The Analyzer flicks off the screen.


“I don't understand,” I say, pulling against my restraints to see the papers in her hand.


She hands them to me and makes the Call.


I flip through the lists of tested categories: logic, athleticism, linguistics, and on for three pages. The scores are below fifty and that's all they needed to decide I'm disposable.


The papers drop on the linoleum and scatter. The Analyzer doesn't turn around as she leaves.


I studied for this all my life. I walked in the cell today wearing the issued white clothes and my brown hair tied back, confident I would see tomorrow.


The man's shoes squeak as he walks in. He's short with ketchup smeared on his t-shirt.


“The test is missing categories,” I stammer.


He steps on one of the papers and catches himself before he slips. “Don't bother begging,” he croaks, “you don't have what we need.”


“I've been running clubs and excelled in school!” I argued. “How could I not be useful?”


He ignores me and goes to measure the liquid with fumbling fingers before just dumping it in the syringe.


“This is illogical,” I say.


The man leans in close, his warm breath wet in my ear and the smell of smoke clouds my nose. “You're pathetic.”


He places the needle in the crook of my arm. There is no need to disinfect the site.  

© 2014 Kelsey


Author's Note

Kelsey
I have 3 flash fictions to choose from for something called "Graphic Flash." The stories will be interpreted for a film and for a painting. I want it to be the best, so please make any suggestions.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love the details! Awesome work. I suppose one way that you could make it better is to provide a little work background information, but it was still really good! :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Kawaiikitty96

9 Years Ago

I meant "more" not "work."

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

307 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 22, 2014
Last Updated on May 23, 2014
Tags: dystopian, flash-fiction, futuristic, alternate-universe

Author

Kelsey
Kelsey

NY



About
I'm a Senior in college and have just figured out my majors and what I may want to do with my life. I'm a double major in English and Creative Writing with a minor in Women's Studies. It's a lot of wo.. more..

Writing
Sub-Creation Sub-Creation

A Story by Kelsey