The King's Justice

The King's Justice

A Story by Kelsey
"

Dahlia meets the trial after her son's death

"

“The King's Justice” (238 words)


 

“The trial has ended. They made a decision.” The council members nodded amongst themselves.

 

The speaker went on. “You were being tried for the murder of your son, Hail Thalion, the heir to the throne. Do you wish to speak?”

 

Hail was three months old and his father, four months dead. It was her and Hail to rule the kingdom. She wasn't let near the throne because of her being a woman, but she had planned to raise Hail to be a great ruler.

 

Dahlia faced the council of men. “I am here to accept your decision.”

 

Some shook their head. She did not need their pity or their scorn. She was above every one of them. She took her own life in her hands.

 

Dahlia moved on her knees in front of the wood block. The executioner stood next to her, axe in hand. She kept her eyes forward.

 

Hail had been found strangled in his cradle under a feather pillow. It was the evidence they held against her.

 

“You have been found guilty.”

 

Dahlia would not smile.

 

She held Hail's blue body in her arms when she found him. She would not shed a tear. It was time to stop playing this game. If they wanted a mad king, they would have one, but she would not.

 

The axe was raised above her head.

 

She met her brother's eyes on the throne. He smiled.

© 2014 Kelsey


Author's Note

Kelsey
Flash fiction and has to stay below 250 words

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

195 Views
Added on May 23, 2014
Last Updated on May 23, 2014
Tags: fantasy, king, death, trial

Author

Kelsey
Kelsey

NY



About
I'm a Senior in college and have just figured out my majors and what I may want to do with my life. I'm a double major in English and Creative Writing with a minor in Women's Studies. It's a lot of wo.. more..

Writing
Sub-Creation Sub-Creation

A Story by Kelsey