ENCOUNTER IN THE CONCENTRATION CAMP

ENCOUNTER IN THE CONCENTRATION CAMP

A Story by Bill Grimke-Drayton

He looks up at me with searching, angry eyes.


He does not speak. Does not have to. The absent words are clear enough. He moves jaggedly from side to side, as he lies in his own chaotic rags, staring at the well-fed stranger, who stands in front of him.


He has suffered for far too long, all the while within a hair’s’ breadth of ending it in an instant. It is too late now. I have come. He is filled with rage. Now he will be brought back to health by kind doctors and nurses, and told to forget the past, even though it appears in his daily nightmares, waking and sleeping. He doesn’t want their help.


He leans out towards me, and asks an unspoken question. WHY?


I know it, but cannot give him the answer he wants and needs. I am speechless, for lack of understanding of that to which I am a reluctant witness, though a soldier, who has veered off course to be among the dying and dead. I fought against a visible enemy, and now find I cannot fight my emotions.


My senses are numbed by his vehement stare. Thoughts vanish in the tumult of an unbridled whirlwind. He lashes me with his pitiless rain, as he inhabits a familiarly grim wasteland, drawing my unwilling self into the only home he has known for too much time.


Suddenly he points a skeletal finger to a dehumanized pile of bodies, and screams:

“My brother is there. Among that s**t. He was for the flames, but the swine left.”


I know I have not been trained for this. I bend down to take his hand, but he pushes me away. He snarls like a cornered animal, fearful of capture. He spits in my face, and utters an expletive in some foreign language. His face contorts into that questioning grimace.


He grins like a clown, condemned to laugh at everything. He knows I want to escape from this devastation like the coward I am. He shakes his head, and cackles at the dark joke. He is found, but didn’t want to be found. I am lost, and yearn to be taken away out of hell.

© 2015 Bill Grimke-Drayton


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Zen, I have followed your advice. Thank you very much for your thoughts. This story is as a result of seeing a British soldier, holding out his hand to a survivor who is clasping it in his own, obviously thankful to have been rescued from the horrors he had experienced. The survivor is lying down on the ground and reached up. I can sense that he wants to weep, but tears just won't come.

Posted 8 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Zen
Nice story, well not nice. Kind of chilling. It was very poetic. I would try not to use the description of the story to explain it though, that should be within story or nowhere at all.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

63 Views
2 Reviews
Added on October 24, 2015
Last Updated on October 24, 2015

Author

Bill Grimke-Drayton
Bill Grimke-Drayton

Nantwich, Cheshire, United Kingdom



About
I was with WritersCafe before, and found the site again. I have completely rewritten the information about myself. So much has happened in the last few years. Firstly and most importantly of all I ca.. more..

Writing