Obscure 1

Obscure 1

A Story by Clay Ashby
"

A scientist and his daughter must find a way to survive when catastrophe strikes their lab.

"

“Jack!” Sarah yelled, “It’s time for you to go.”

Jack came down the stairs with a bagel in his mouth.

“Yes, Hun.”

“Jack, I want to talk to you before you go today. And I want you to listen to me fully before you say anything back.”

“You’re worried, Sarah. I can already tell.” The tears welling up in her eyes were obvious.

“Well I can’t help it, Jack. The things you do down there… It scares me on a normal day, but today is worse than normal.”

Jack took the bagel out of his mouth and set it on the table.

“Hey, it’s going to be fine, Sarah. We have been working on this project for years and we know everything there is to know about it.”

Jack put his arms around Sarah.

“The equipment is designed to shut off if there is any sign of trouble. Even the smallest problem will cause it to collapse the sphere.”

“But what if it doesn't?”

“It’s like holding a bowling ball out at arms length. The worst thing that can happen is the ball will fall to the ground, right?”

“Yeah.”

“It’s not like there is a chance the ball will suddenly shoot up into the sky, or fly back and hit you in the face. The singularity is like that. We create a bubble of super dense space-time with an equally super light space-time inside the bubble. If the bubble collapses then it cancels itself out.”

“I’m sorry, Jack. I shouldn't get so upset. You are plenty smart enough to handle your own job, and Sophie got her brains from you as well. I’m sure the two of you together know what you are doing.”

Jack heard Sophie’s car pull into the driveway, “OK, I’m outta here. My ride is here. Have a good day, Honey, and don’t worry about anything.”

On the way to work Sophie pulled into the local donut shop for a coffee.

“You want anything, Dad?”

“Just a coffee…” Jack paused for a moment, “Sophie, your Mom is pretty worried about the experiment today. I just want you to know.”

Sophie spoke into the donut shaped microphone, “Two coffees, black,” then she looked over at Jack, “OK… She’s always worrying. Nothing new there, Pops.”

“I know, but this time is a little worse. Maybe you could take her out sometime this week. Go eat or something. Just to help her cope.”

“Sure, Dad.”

They pulled into the driveway at work and showed their badges to the security guard. He said, “OK,” With the smallest amount of enthusiasm possible and hit the button to let them in. The black and yellow striped arm with the company logo “Obscure 1” written on it rose up slowly and Sophie made the same joke she made almost every morning.

“Not very obscure is it?”

It was an old joke, a very old joke, but it was now more of a tradition than anything. Some mornings it would strike a cord and they would both laugh, but that was becoming rare. This morning they were both thinking more about Sarah than anything else.

She parked the car and they got out, scanned their badges at the door, and stood in the small square room until a guard let them the rest of the way through.


#


Jack touched the microphone with his face mask and spoke to the other scientists, “Power seems to be nominal. Continue with next stage preparation.”

His co-workers all leaned over their respective consoles and began pressing various buttons and entering strings of commands into the computer. Jack looked at the screen closest to him and saw that the next stage was ready for deployment.

Once again he leaned into the microphone, “All stations ready. Initiating stage insertion.”

Everyone looked up from their computers and through the glass. The metal beams that supported the equipment were now mostly engulfed in the perfect sphere of bright blue light. The sphere began to pulse periodically - growing and shrinking in size.

Sophie spoke into her microphone, “Stage is stable. Pulse measures fifty meters at maximum and thirty seven meters at minimum.”

Jack looked down at his computer and confirmed her measurements, “OK, last stage. Initiate preparation.”

Once again, everyone began to do their individual jobs and a few minutes later the results were approved by the computer.

Jacks voice echoed through the hallways, “Stage preparation complete. Initiating final stage.”

A beam of light shot down from the ceiling and into the sphere. Jack watched the energy levels on his computer intensely - with one hand on the shutdown button. The sphere stopped pulsating and became transparent.

“Jack, this result isn't predicted.”

“I know. Everyone stay alert. Be ready for a contingency action.”

Sophie looked up at the sphere. She could see straight through it. The equipment on the wall behind it began to fall off the wall.

“Dad, the back wall!”

Jack looked up and saw what was happening, but he noticed the equipment seemed to accelerate into the ground faster than expected. So fast that it was difficult to perceive - like a movie in fast forward. Then the entire wall fell down. Jack ran to the side so he could get a better view of the destruction while Sophie remained ready to press the shutoff button.

Jack looked for a nearby microphone, “It’s OK, Sophie. The wall is still there.”

“What are we seeing, Jack?” another scientist asked.

Now the entire facility was gone from the image in the sphere and a forest appeared. Seconds later the forest was gone and a snowy tundra took it’s place. Slowly the ice and snow melted and a jungle rose up to replace it.

“Dad! What are we seeing? What do we do?”

“Shut it down!” Jack yelled.

Sophie hit the big red button and the sphere began to fade away. The jungle, however, remained. Jack and Sophie looked at each other from halfway down the hallway as if the other one would have some insight to share. Jack ran over to where Sophie was standing and took control of his computer. He began to flip through the cameras to see if he could find any answers, but there were no answers.


#


The scientists shuffled through their papers and computers - looking for an explanation. Jack and Sophie began going through the video recordings. The sphere had experienced time faster than it’s surroundings - accelerating through time. Everyone gathered around Jack and began to discuss the events that had taken place.

The glass above Jack’s console shattered and what appeared to be a baby Tyrannosaurus Rex tumbled into the room - falling off the console and landing on the floor.

The Rex stood up. It was almost as tall as Jack. Confused, it decided to slowly back away from the crowd, but it’s tail struck a nearby metal cart flipping the cart over with a loud crash. The creature was startled, so it leapt at the group of scientists, wrapping it’s over sized mouth around the waist of one of them and throwing him to the side like a mere obstacle. It then continued down the hallway and disappeared.

Jack ran over to the injured scientist, “Clay, are you alright?”

“I… I don’t think so.”

Clay’s eyes focused on the ceiling as his life faded away.

Jack looked at the others, “We need to evacuate, now!”

The small group of scientists began to make their way to the elevators. There was the rhythmic click of claws on the hard floor, and it was getting louder.

Jack noticed it first and shouted to the others, “Run faster!”

When they arrived at the elevator Jack hit the button. It lit up. Every second waiting for the elevator to arrive felt like minutes.

The tapping was getting really close now. The elevator still had not arrived. Jack saw the bobbing head of the baby Rex through the glass in the hallway. He was getting close - really close.

Sophie pointlessly pounded on the elevator button a few more times as the baby monster tried to round the corner and move toward the group. Its feet slid out from under it - scratching the floor with its claws as it fell on its side and hit the wall with a solid thump. It was a solidly built creature and it seemed to think little of the impact - getting back up to it’s feet almost immediately.

The elevator door finally opened, and everyone began to shuffle in.

“We should have taken the stairs,” Jack commented.

The sound of breaking glass and twisting metal filled the air as a full sized Rex shoved its huge nose through the hallway and toward the open elevator. The group split in half - hugging the walls to try and avoid the monster, but there simply wasn't enough room for everyone.

The swiftness and power of the beast’s forward thrust caught everyone off-guard placing Dr. Henchson against the back wall of the elevator with only inches to separate him from the long and sharp teeth of the beast.

The dinosaur let out a burst of hot air from his nostrils almost like it was disappointed it couldn't reach it’s prey. The air swirled around the metal cage looking for a place to exit and causing the garments of the captives to flap rapidly.

At that moment everyone had a similar thought, “This might just be the end.”


#


Jack responded with a solid punch to the eyeball of the beast. It was the only thing Jack could hit that wasn't a tooth or jaw. It was risky but it worked. The dinosaur retracted from the pain and the elevator doors shut.

Almost everyone in the elevator fell to a sitting position on the floor out of exhaustion and stress. The door opened at the ground level floor. There had been a massacre. The baby Rex must have made it up the stairs somehow. From the elevator Jack could see several security guards and a few receptionists lying on the floor - lifeless.

Jack put his hand out - stopping the others from leaving the elevator.

“Wait,” he whispered as quietly as he could.

After a heart pounding sixty seconds the door closed again and Jack looked at the group.

“We can’t go out there.”

“Why not?” Joe asked.

He was a young scientist - just out of college and full of determination. Probably too much determination. Jack moved in front of the buttons as if he was protecting them.

“Joe, the place is on lock-down. Even if you get out there and the dinosaurs are gone - you aren't getting out.”

“He’s right,” Sophie added, “I saw the red sign above the door. We’re locked in.”

Joe punched the elevator wall, “Argh!”

“Calm down, Joe. My dad will figure out how we can get out. He’s worked here for twenty years. Dad?”

“Lock down isn't just a locked door. It’s a complete seal. The medical wing deals with biological experiments so the doors are air tight and the fresh air we breathe is pumped in. When lock down is initiated those pumps turn off and we are left with only what we have.”

“So we are going to suffocate?”

“No, this place is big enough we could be in here for months without worrying about air.”

“So what’s your point, Jack,” Joe glared at him.

“The point is that we are completely sealed in and we simply aren't getting out.”

Joe really didn't want to hear this.

“No! There’s a way, Jack. Why are you lying? How is the lock down released?”

“When a lock down is initiated the subject matter of the lock down is entered into the computer system. The computer tracks the threat and it won’t release lock down until that threat is neutralized.”

“Or until the threat starves and dies,” Sophie interjected.

Joe looked at Sophie like he was overwhelmed with her ridiculous idea.

“I think they just had a big meal, Sophie. They aren't going to starve before we do.”

Sophie ignored Joe and looked at Jack, “We would only need to be inside the singularity for a few minutes.”

“Now is your chance. Everyone here has to make a choice right now. Either attempt a dangerous voyage with the possibility of success, or wait here - in this steel cage - and hope to be rescued. I won’t judge anyone for the decision they make, but my daughter and I are choosing to take control of our own future. No matter how dangerous it is.”

“I’m in,” Joe quickly responded.

Dr. Henchson respectfully agreed, “It is our best choice. I will follow as well.”


#


Jack pulled out his cell phone and dialed Sarah’s number. The phone began to ring. Jack didn't know what he would say, but he knew he had to do this. He couldn't take a risk this big without at least trying to say goodbye. Even if they were successful Sarah would experience a month or more without them.

“Hello?”

“He… Hello.”

“Jack? Are you alright, Hun?”

“Listen, Sophie and I are fine. However, there was an accident at work today.”

“An accident?”

Jack tried to speak but he began to choke up.

“Jack, what’s going on?”

“We’re under lock down. I can’t say with certainty that we will survive this, Sarah. I want to tell you how much I love you in case something does happen.”

Sarah was silent for a minute but she eventually responded with, “I love you, Jack.”

The other scientists in the elevator looked away as if they didn't want to see the pain Jack was going through.

Sophie grabbed the phone, “Love you, Mom. We will see you in a month. I promise!” She didn't give her mom time to respond. She didn't want to hear the voice. It would only make her upset. Sophie had a way of blocking things out - avoiding emotion instead of confronting it.

“Let’s do this,” Sophie said, “Joe, can you get to a fire alarm?”

“Yeah, I think so.”

“OK, it will make the doors shut and hopefully confuse the dinosaurs enough that we can sneak to the computer and activate the singularity. Jack will start the first stage. I will start the second, and Hench can do the third.”

“I can come back to the elevator and keep the doors open in case we need to escape again,” Joe said.

Sophie hit the floor button on the elevator control panel, “Sounds good, Joe.”

Everyone hugged the walls of the elevator when the doors opened, but there didn't seem to be any immediate threat. Joe cautiously walked around the corner and pulled the fire alarm. The doors to the control room shut as expected. It wouldn't hold them back for long, but at least it would provide a warning if a dinosaur tried to get in.

The large Rex was nowhere to be seen and neither were the smaller ones, but not knowing where they were felt just as bad as knowing.

“Perfect,” Jack whispered. “They’re gone. Let’s get to work.”


#


They each took their places at a computer and Joe kept the elevator doors open. Jack started the first stage. A sphere began to form around the jungle. The giant head of the beast rose above the trees looking for the cause of the disturbance.

Jack moved over to Sophie on all fours - trying to stay below the wall so he wouldn't be seen.

“Sophie, you see that?”

“Yeah. Not good.”

“We have a problem. If that dinosaur is in the sphere when we travel it will come with us.”

Sophie looked like she was getting sick, “Oh no…”

“Go ahead and activate stage two and we will meet with the others to discuss this.”

Sophie activated the stage. The sphere began to pulse and become more defined. They all crawled over to the elevator where Joe was sitting in front of the door.

“The Rex is in there. We can’t let it travel with us.”

Joe looked over at Clay’s lifeless body, “We can lure it.”

Jack looked at Joe and regretfully said, “Do it.”

“Listen,” Dr. Henchson added “ I've set the sphere to collapse after 10.497 seconds based on the data we saw the first time. This will put is about a month into the future. I’ll set the third stage to activate thirty seconds after I press the button. Joe, this means you have thirty seconds to make it from the elevator to the sphere after the dinosaur is lured. OK?”

“Got it.”

Joe grabbed the body and dragged it to the open elevator. He made sure it was in far enough that the beast would have to work for its treat - to stall for time, and he stuck a pipe in the door to keep it open.

Joe shouted at the dinosaur as loudly as he could. It responded with a roar and few ground shaking steps toward Joe. The dinosaur’s walk quickly became a trot and then a full speed run. It ducked its head down, put its little arms against its body and stuck its tail out straight. It was moving fast and Joe could tell it had already seen him. When he moved toward the control room even a little the beast would adjust its direction.

Joe decided to stand in front of the elevator - hoping that he could dodge at the last moment.It was a split second gamble, but he didn't see any other way. The monster opened its man-sized mouth and put its head down even farther in preparation for a swift attack, but it hadn't prepared for the wall behind Joe. When Joe dove out of the way the beast snapped at him - severing his leg clean off before slamming his head into the elevator.

Joe didn't even realize his leg was missing. It must have been shock or adrenaline - or both. When he tried to stand up but just fell over he realized what had happened. The dinosaur was beginning to move again and the countdown had started several seconds ago.

“I got ya,” Jack said as he put his arm around Joe and helped him to the sphere.

The Rex stood up - ignoring the corpse in the elevator and turning to find the rest of his snack.

Jack and Joe crossed into the sphere and the dinosaur confidently walked toward them. Sophie went to help Jack run with Joe as far away as they could. The dinosaur stretched out its body toward Joe - ready to finish the job in one bite. It took its time - almost like it knew it had won and there was no reason to hurry any longer. Saliva dripped from its mouth and disappeared into the thick ground covering. The monster drew back for a moment as if it was preparing for the final snap when its head fell to the ground.


#


The expression on Jack’s face held doubt and amazement, “It worked!”

Everyone cheered with victory. Even Joe was able to ignore his pain for a moment and crack a smile. The sphere began to disappear. The head of the Rex, inside the sphere, was only a few minutes old, but the body which remained outside was well underway to full decomposition. The body of A baby laid next to the dinosaur but it wasn't nearly as decomposed. It must have lived for a week or two before dying of starvation. It must have looked for this other Rex when it figured out it was dying. The bloodthirsty beast was simply a parent protecting its child.

The group made it to the parking lot and they called the ambulance. Joe made it through a few surgeries and he was fitted with the latest prosthetic which didn't slow him down at all. Sarah had a rough time when Jack and Sophie were gone for that month, but hearing them call her was a moment she will never forget. Jack and Sophie were rewarded large amounts of money from the company and they both retired. They took the money and bought a small building downtown where they practiced classical scientific experiments for children and young adults learning about science and history.

Obscure 1 was never reopened.

© 2013 Clay Ashby


Author's Note

Clay Ashby
I'm new to writing, but don't be hesitant to criticize me. I don't consider this a great story, but it's a story that I believe displays some of my weaknesses. My goal in posting it is to figure out what those weaknesses are.

Edited for found typos :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

great strory wonderfully designed...somewhat like my storx MARK OWENS...dialogues were beautifully executed...why don't you consider it as a great writting?

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Clay Ashby

11 Years Ago

I'm glad you liked it!

Maybe it's just because my confidence level is too low. When I .. read more
Devanshu Rajput

11 Years Ago

thanks but i think it isn't great like of yours

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

247 Views
1 Review
Added on February 4, 2013
Last Updated on February 4, 2013
Tags: Time Travel, Dinosaurs, Science

Author

Clay Ashby
Clay Ashby

West Olive, MI



Writing
Last Words Last Words

A Story by Clay Ashby