The Waffle Girl

The Waffle Girl

A Story by Kirasoul
"

A heartwarm hole-in-the-wall experience of waffles, honey, and happiness.

"

The Waffle Girl


The downtown of Taoyuan city, which is located right beside the train station and bus station of the entire county, serves as a central transportation transfer point of the city. Because of this, cram schools, shopping malls, restaurants......everything around these parts flourish in the urban scum.

Standing beneath all of these great enterprises like a newly grown leaf amongst a forest of evergreen, there is this little Waffle Stand hidden in a dim-lit alley that barely gets its share of sunlight, the Waffle Girl greets any customer that happens to pass by. She isn't as pretty as the ladies in makeup who flood the streets with chatter and gossip; she isn't as cute as the students in rolled-up uniform skirts who squeal at the mention of K-pop stars; she isn't as rich as the mid-age women who look down at anyone who doesn't hold a purse bought from the luxury counters in the shopping malls.

But she's got a 100 percent smile that warms up the entire dark, damp alley.


"What flavor would you like?" she asks me as I look down the menu scribbled on the miniature blackboard standing on the counter.

"Honey and cream with a kiss," I reply, my signature order. She rolls her eyes but sets to work with the warm smile on her face, an expression that would remove an entire day's stress.

Skillfully, she pours the batter into the waffle pan and scrapes off the bubbles softly with her wooden spoon, then sets down the lid with her mitten-covered left hand. As we wait for the waffle to toast, she asks me about my day and fills me with details about her own, weird customers that she's served, new shops opening around these parts, the latest trend between high school students…...


Beep! Beep! Beep!

The alarm rings and the Waffle Girl opens the lid to reveal a perfectly done waffle, which she scoops off the pan and sets down on a plate before a small plastic fan to cool off. Generously, she grabs the jar of honey behind her and floods the dessert with mouth-watering golden goo, soaking it in completely. She finishes by drawing a smiley face over the waffle with thick cream.

She glances at me, and I smile back.

Then she kisses the white nose and folds the waffle in half, slipping it into a paper bag while I pay her forty NTS, thirty-five for the waffle and five for the smile.

"Enjoy while hot!" she calls after me as I turn to leave.

That's my waffle girl.

© 2016 Kirasoul


Author's Note

Kirasoul
Please leave a comment! Compliment and criticism are the two best things a writer can receive from others :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Pretty relaxing read. As someone who enjoys stories and waffles, I think this is pretty great :)

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

119 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 21, 2016
Last Updated on March 27, 2016
Tags: Waffle, Slice of Life

Author

Kirasoul
Kirasoul

Taiwan, Taoyuan, Atheism/Pagen (I believe all that exists have life, even seasons and time.), Taiwan



About
Hello! My name is Kirasoul, a writer and reviewer of 20 age. My choice of weapon is a LAMI Safari Fountain Pen installed with Brilliant Schwarz Black Ink and loaded with red Casket. I also use a T.. more..

Writing
Marionette Marionette

A Poem by Kirasoul


Silence (I) Silence (I)

A Chapter by Kirasoul


Guest (II) Guest (II)

A Chapter by Kirasoul