A Contract

A Contract

A Story by Samarra
"

A Lilith makes a contract with a Daemon out of desperation.

"

 

“Do you know what it means; to make a deal with a daemon?”
“Who doesn’t? Anyway, I’ve no other choice. That’s why I called for you.”
“First off, little one, you did not call for me. I answer to no one. I am simply here to make a deal with a willing soul.”
“Right. Well, anyway, how are we going to do this? Blood contract? Curse mark?”
A slight shiver went down its spine. It was scared of me? No, the thought of pain scared it. And it wanted to make a deal with me. Naïve little thing; I should take its soul now. Yet I pity the creature; it must be desperate.
“What do you want of me?”
“My sister, she…well she was taken… by the Night Children. I would do anything to get her back.”
Obviously; you plan to sell your soul.
“Can you not speak to the leader of the Night Children? If you told him she is not abandoned, that she still has family, he would most likely spare her.”
The Night Children are reasonable enough for that. They do not take those that still have claims to the world of the Lilith. This little one must be hiding something.
“They are not unruly like the Moon Children. You should speak with them, not me. Unless…there is more to your story?”
“I have talked to him. He said it was a rogue that took her. I don’t know…it seemed like he was making that up…. There aren’t many rogues in this city…. She still has wings.”
Ah…yes. A young Lilith like that can bring a large sum of money on the black market. That this little one should have let her out alone is strange.
“She wasn’t supposed to be left alone. There were others with her, but she somehow got separated from them. I don’t know how to tell our father that she’s gone. He’d be devastated. She’s his jewel.”
You lost her. You left her with a caretaker, who probably sold her to the Night Children herself. Foolish little one; give your soul to save your sister. Such a shame.
“I will not deny you your request.”
“Thank you. Thank you so much-”
“Do not thank me for this. I will not be doing it for free. You are a Lilith are you not? It would be a waste to just take your soul, when you have so much more to offer.”
“What do you mean…what do you want?”
“Lilith are known among the darker creatures of this world for having precious, precious gifts; especially because you are not a creature of light. Yet you have been given, no, you have taken gifts from the priestesses of the fey. They allow you to walk among the light.”
“I…I don’t know what…what you’re talking about-”
“Don’t you? To a daemon like me, such a gift would be incomparable to…even one hundred souls. To not have the chains of contract shackled around my wings anymore; you know not what I would do for such a gift.”
“I don’t ha- have any gift….”
Ah. It was scared again. As well it should be this time. If it was a Lilith that wanted my help, it would pay a hefty price. I was not a higher daemon for nothing.
“Do you not know the story of the creation of Lilith?”
“What are you talking about…I don’t know….”
“Long ago, when there were only those of the light and those of darkness, a fey priestess was left out of her temple one night, as a punishment for being too carless with the Flower’s nectar. She took refuge in the forest when night began to fall; after all a priestess would be very good prey for a creature of night, no?”
It shrunk back, toward the wall. I unfolded my wings and wrapped the poor shivering creature against my body, letting the heat of hell seep into its flesh and bones.
“Come here, little one. Now, this priestess was young. No one had told her to beware of the night pixies. As she knelt under a tree, one of these pixies came out of the leaves and spoke to her.
‘Are you not of the night?’
“The priestess was surprised, as you can imagine, to be spoken to, by one of darkness. She foolish thought it to be another of her kind, left in the woods.
‘Yes, my friend,’ she said. ‘Come closer so that I might see you.’
‘We are friends,’ the little pixie asked, moving closer to the foolish priestess. ‘Then might I request something of you?’
‘Of course, sweetling,’ the priestess said, as she held out her hand.
‘Lend me your arm, so that I might have the power flight; your eyes, so that I might see through the light; your hair, that I might walk unscathed by the sun; and finally, your robes, that I might be accepted among those of light.’
“The priestess, startled and frightened of this speech, said nothing, and the pixie took all it wanted, leaving the rest for the Children of the Night and Moon to feast upon.”
It was silently crying now, shimmering tears flowing down its cheeks. It would not suffer much longer.
“That pixie became the first Lilith, child. Its wish to be among the light was granted. However, because it stole these gifts, Lilith must suffer their loss before the end of their lives. Their wings disappear before the twelfth year, and then by the fiftieth the ability to see in light and walk among the sunshine begins to fade. Only the robes will last you.”
“I have…none…of these…things.”
It was gasping for air now; my wings slowly tightening around its small body.
“Don’t fear, child, your sister will be returned. I honor my contracts. But in return, I must ask you for something more that your soul.”
It was almost unconscious now, from the lack of oxygen. I would need to hurry, if I wanted it to hear my request.
“I must ask you, little one, for your Heart inside your heart, that little ruby that lives inside your soul. And, dear child, I must also take your skin that I might walk into the sun.”
“And…what…will become...of…me?”
“Ah, sweetling, have no fear. You shall live on into eternity with me. Your soul a captive to mine; but not to fear, little Lilith. I am a kind master, to those that give me such beautiful gifts.”
“And…my sis…ter?”
“Safe until her good goddess comes for her.”
“Our…goddess….Until...our...god…dess…blesses her….”
“Yes. Of course. It’s your goddess too…. Now sleep, little one. You’ve no need to worry anymore. Sleep, until your goddess wages war for your soul.”
It was sweet; how it cared only for another, even up to its last breath. Its goddess might just try to take it back. This little Lilith truly might be a creature of the light….
 Truly might have been; but now it will sleep endlessly into eternity, with me. Unknowing of light and darkness; fear and hope; quietly wasting away.
“Now, sweetling, for your sister. Let us find her, shall we?”

© 2009 Samarra


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great read.
Good prose and a great sense of atmosphere. I want to know so much more about ths world you have billt. It reads similarly to the old fables and storiees by the Brothers Grimm. well done.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Whoa! This is rather deep involving write here.
Such details to ponder on really.
Demon's come from the beast in us.
Least that is my opinion.
Such a deep story here. enjoyable to read.


Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

188 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 23, 2009

Author

Samarra
Samarra

Writing
Flashes Flashes

A Story by Samarra


Chapter 1.1 Chapter 1.1

A Chapter by Samarra



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Moonlight Burning Moonlight Burning

A Story by