In the light of a candle - The Happy Ending

In the light of a candle - The Happy Ending

A Story by D.Y.Petkova

Hello and welcome.  We are back home so you know the way. Tonight I will tell you a slightly different story so our candle is also different . Take a pillow and pick a chair. Lights out, fire on.
Let’s begin…
 Tonight I will tell you a fairytale. No horror, just simple magic and happiness. Because we all need a break from real life sometimes, don’t we ?And a tale like this would be the best way to rest. Here it goes …
  Once upon a time there was a little princess. She was gorgeous and everybody loved her.

*No, please,don’t ! I am sorry ! I AM SORRY! I will not say it again, I promise ! I will not even think about it ! I will not…*
 
She was the most talented girl in the whole kingdom. She could sing like a goddess, dance like a snowflake and paint like Mother Nature herself. She was simply perfect.

*Where is my wife ?! I asked you, where is she ? What have you done to her, where is she ?! Answer me ! Why aren’t you talking, you little…Who are you? Wait, no, no, stop ! I will fight if I have to ! Delia ! Delia, where are you ? Delia !*
   
  She loved all her subjects and wanted them to be happy. That was her greatest wish. So once, after she was a crying child on the street, she went to her father, the fair king, and asked him how to make everyone in the kingdom happy. So the king answered. He said that people who work and then harvest the fruit of their work are happy. That growing food and making goods makes them happy. That colourful festivals and music makes them happy. That big families with many children make them happy. And this is when she decided. Her kingdom would be the happiest in the whole world !
 Nobody would be sad, everybody would sing and dance and live their lives with a song on their lips and cheer in their eyes. She vowed to make it happen.

*Mother, why are the books hidden ? Why can’t I show them to my friends ? I am sure they would love to read about monsters and heroes and …! Mother ? Mother ! Where are you taking her ? Mother ? Mother ! No, let me go ! Let go !*

  Since the day she made that vow, the beautiful princess did her best to keep the peasants happy. But even thought she tried her best, one day she saw a child, playing with a tiny yellow duck. The bird was in its hands and the child was talking to it. She remembered her father’s words, that working and then harvesting the fruit of their work made the peasants happy. And this child was not harvesting anything. It was because, she thought, it was too young to understand the way to happiness. So she would teach it. She would show it how to be happy.

*Shhh, Marie, don’t cry. Please,Marie, be quiet. We don’t want them to hear. We’ll get you a puppy. Would you like a puppy ? You’re not supposed to eat those, so it should be safe. Just, eat your stew. The duck would want you to, wouldn’t it ? So you could be big and strong? Just calm down…*

  The fair princess was sitting on her throne when the message arrived. A festival was to be made in town. She was delighted. There would be music and dancing and she would grant the villagers with her presence, maybe even sing to them. It would make them happy to hear her angelic voice. Yes, it would. And while making the town look pretty for that day, she would go there and smile at them. Her beauty would enchant them and they would work faster, not feeling the time. Yes, that’s she would do. But it was getting late and she had to go. So she kissed her father’s cheek and ran through the door.

*I am sick. Can I be sick ? I think it’s contagious. Maybe I shouldn’t go to the festival ? Emily, what do you think ? Oh. I understand. I, too, don’t want her to send that horrible man she calls Doctor. God save us, don’t we deserve mercy ?*

  The fest was going brilliantly ! There was music and the peasants had brought food. Simply delightful ! But one man was not happy. He was leaning against a wall and not smiling. That was unacceptable ! She decided right then that he would smile before the night was over. What is wrong, she asked him. My wife, your Highness, he answered. She is pregnant, but is too thin. I think she is sick. I think it would be best if she was to try again later. She is so young, you see.
  But children make people happy, she said. Now you are unhappy, but once the babe is born, you would be happier than ever ! Now, dance ! Where is your wife ? She should dance with you ! It will make both of you happy !

* Jenny ? Jenny ! Somebody, help ! Doctor, is there a doctor here ? Jenny ! Don’t leave me, Jenny ! Jenny, I am sorry. God, I am so sorry…*

  The lovely princess looked at the cemetery from her bedroom window. People were getting back to their houses after the ceremony and she saw the same man she’d told to dance at the fest. She ran outside to greet him. Now that you have a child and your wife is no longer sick, you are happier, aren’t you, she asked. He just smiled and said that yes, he was indeed happier than he had ever been. So the princess went back to the throne room, hugged her father and smiled. It was all so perfect.


  The stories about this magical kingdom are endless. Some of them are obviously fake. Villagers say the strangest things. Like, why would the amazing princess keep her parents’ decomposed bodies in the throne room ? Or why would she cover the ball room with embers and coals ? So her guests would not stop dancing ? Nonsense. One thing I can tell you, though, she got married to a handsome prince who she just knew was her soul mate after only one kiss. She did not survive the wedding night �" her heart burst from joy. She was simply so happy to be married ! Of course there were different rumours �"about her husband not being a real prince, about his mother being a witch, about villagers handing him carriages with gold and silver on the day after the princess’ death. Nonsense again. She so perfect and wanted everybody to be happy. Why would anyone want to kill her.

  This was a fairytale,after all. And everyone knows that the princess is always good and pure and loved in those. So, why are you frowning ?

  Have a lovely night.

© 2016 D.Y.Petkova


Author's Note

D.Y.Petkova
Honest reviews are welcome

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

78 Views
Added on July 15, 2016
Last Updated on July 15, 2016
Tags: horror, tale, fairy, happy, short

Author

D.Y.Petkova
D.Y.Petkova

Dobrich, Dobrich, Bulgaria



About
I write short horror stories and I collect my inspirations from everything around me. more..

Writing